Proposition 8 in California

BigSqwert

I haven't seen any discussion on this here. It's been a pretty big topic on the political blogs I read. There has been tens of millions dollars spent from both sides of the argument. Anyone have any opinions on the matter? Being the über-liberal of Soxtalk I'm sure you can figure out where I stand on the issue.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the idea of specifically banning how given pairs of people can socialize to be small-minded and hateful.

And this idea that whether or not some random strangers get married effects YOUR marriage is a joke. If your marriage is so weak that it is effected by the personal relationship of two random citizens, then you might as well get the divorce now.

Ideally, government shouldn't even be involved in marriage. Just make it all civil unions with equal protections, and let marriage be a privately held belief.

From Glenn Greewald

Here is an advertisement produced by a Christian ministry in California -- Clay Music Ministry -- in support of Proposition 8, the California referendum to strip same-sex couples of the right to marry. It involves small school-aged children singing, and it really has to be seen to be believed:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
Huge Morman backing to vote "Yes".

Why should they care about what happens in California? This is a big issue to me because I just have no idea how people can be so close minded to something that has zero affect on their own lives. It really upsets me how people can be so adamantly against something that would make another person happy, while changing nothing in anyones lives.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Why should they care about what happens in California? This is a big issue to me because I just have no idea how people can be so close minded to something that has zero affect on their own lives. It really upsets me how people can be so adamantly against something that would make another person happy, while changing nothing in anyones lives.

I believe the argument to vote yes on this proposition is that the fundamental structure of our society would be adversely effected by gay marriage. I don't agree with this assessment, but I think that is the logic behind the proposition.

I think they are concerned that all kinds of crazy people will be demanding to marry an assortment of crazy things; like some nerd that wants to marry his Super Nintendo wins a court case stating his civil rights were impeded by him not having a legal marriage. So I guess if the institution of marriage was completely degraded into joke status, yea maybe that could change our societal structure in a negative way.

You should see some of the commercials out here for the vote yes side, they are so over the top ridiculous I have to laugh every time I see them. The sad thing is these stupid ads are working, last I saw this morning it was tied. I think it is going to pass unfortunately, and if that gets put into law out here, gay rights have a long way to go across the rest of the country for sure.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
You should see some of the commercials out here for the vote yes side, they are so over the top ridiculous I have to laugh every time I see them. The sad thing is these stupid ads are working, last I saw this morning it was tied. I think it is going to pass unfortunately, and if that gets put into law out here, gay rights have a long way to go across the rest of the country for sure.

I'm surprised it is doing to so well in California. I guess people really do buy into these mass marketing schemes political parties put on the air, no matter how crazy.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
I believe the argument to vote yes on this proposition is that the fundamental structure of our society would be adversely effected by gay marriage. I don't agree with this assessment, but I think that is the logic behind the proposition.

I think they are concerned that all kinds of crazy people will be demanding to marry an assortment of crazy things; like some nerd that wants to marry his Super Nintendo wins a court case stating his civil rights were impeded by him not having a legal marriage. So I guess if the institution of marriage was completely degraded into joke status, yea maybe that could change our societal structure in a negative way.

A Nintendo? We're dealing in PERSONS here, as in PERSONAL relationships. No one has a personal relationship with their Nintendo, at least in the eyes of the law.

A Nintendo? We're dealing in PERSONS here, as in PERSONAL relationships. No one has a personal relationship with their Nintendo, at least in the eyes of the law.

Yeah really, unless Mr. Genius knows a guy who actually found a use for the expansion port underneath the SNES.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)

:huh

I'm just telling you what their side is trying to say. They would also argue that persons marry multiple persons would be the next step in the degredation of marriage after same sex persons marrying same sex persons.

So calm down, it's not even my view of the situation. someone asked what their whole point is and I'm am merely responding to that question.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)

I know that isn't your logic, but the whole, if gays and lesbians can marry people will marry cows!!!!1!!!! drives me up the wall. A marriage is (for the intents and purposes of Prop 8) a legal contract. You cannot enter into a legal contract with a nintendo, or a dog, or a cat. So, I think that is really a straw man type of argument.

Either way, I agree with NSS72, I think marriage should not be a government word. Marriage is a religious institution, and should be left as such. Civil unions are the only thing the government should regulate.

And for the record, as a citizen I'm mortified that gays and lesbians can't enter into a government contract with each other like civil unions (or, if the government must meddle: marriage). As an Episcopalian, I'm proud of the recent inclusive steps my church governing structure has taken, but they still have quite a way to go.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I know that isn't your logic, but the whole, if gays and lesbians can marry people will marry cows!!!!1!!!! drives me up the wall.

finally

thank you. I don't understand what part of " I don't agree with this assessment, but I think that is the logic behind the proposition" lost people.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
finally

thank you. I don't understand what part of my " I don't agree with this, but this is their argument" part of the post lost people.

Not even you are dumb enough to believe that. :)

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I know that isn't your logic, but the whole, if gays and lesbians can marry people will marry cows!!!!1!!!! drives me up the wall. A marriage is (for the intents and purposes of Prop 8) a legal contract. You cannot enter into a legal contract with a nintendo, or a dog, or a cat. So, I think that is really a straw man type of argument.

Either way, I agree with NSS72, I think marriage should not be a government word. Marriage is a religious institution, and should be left as such. Civil unions are the only thing the government should regulate.

And for the record, as a citizen I'm mortified that gays and lesbians can't enter into a government contract with each other like civil unions (or, if the government must meddle: marriage). As an Episcopalian, I'm proud of the recent inclusive steps my church governing structure has taken, but they still have quite a way to go.

Bingo. You and I agree 100% on this issue. Has hell frozen over? :lol:

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
It is really damn cold here. . .

It is the one thing that drives me crazy about the Republicans. They can shove their "evangelical morality" and trying to tie government to it, right up their rear ends, because it has no business in government at all.

It's the single biggest area that they need to improve on, besides the stupidity of the Bush spending sprees.