Construction on the cell

That funky motion

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
From what I understand:

They were trying to put another source of income over near the "smokers" area of the park. Since so many people are having to walk down to that outside part of the park, why not put something over there for them to do.

There will be no smoking there like at Soldier Field soon so I doubt that's the reason behind the renovation.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
From what I cant tell, they are hacking off the east side of the north ramp and creating a new building (presumably a restaurant) and also turning that "courtyard" into some sort of an enclosed area.

Animated Gif:

cell_construction.gif

Static with transparency:

Wow, I am impressed by your photoshop skills

This is the new bar/restaurant area that has been rumored for awhile now. It actually dates back to when the new stadium was being built and they knocked out that old bar (i forget the name), and JR & Company promised to rebuild the bar(s) after the new stadium was completed. I remember talking to my friend who is a sox ticket rep and his brother about this at a game this year. He said they were defiantly planning on developing some sort of row of bars/restaurants underneath the ramps on 35th st. Obviously its more of a reconstruction/elimination of one of those ramps but you get the jist of it. I think this is really cool, its close to the Red Line stop and that 35th St ramp entrance area is has been so so widely under used and developed. Its nice to see the change. I cant wait to hear what announcement the sox make on what exactly is going in there. I would assume some sort of sports bars with both indoor and outdoor seating as well as some shops and vendors. Should be cool.

I have advocated in the past the white sox add some concessions to the outside of the park. Since there is so much tailgating and lingering in lots, gathering by the 35th St ramps Entrance and by the World Series statue it seemed only natural that there be some food vendors. I advocated that the sox set up some mobile stands with their popular items outside the park before and after the games; hot dogs, polishs, brats, Italian beefs, maybe even ice cream for the kids on those hot summer nights. Or if they didn't want to do that they could contract out some pre/post game food stands to someone like Maxwell St, Pops, Portillos, Al's, etc....with the Sox getting a portion of the proceeds of course. But with this new bar/restaurant area that might take the cake, its nice to see the Sox realize that the more pre/post options they can supply in food, alcohol, shops, attractions, gathering areas, the more they money per game their fans are likely to spend.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I want to punch people in the face when they b**** about the name change.

With the improvements to the ballpark, increase in the payroll, and the World Championship, I can't imagine ANYBODY still b****es about the name change. I haven't heard a peep about it since probably March or April of 2005 to be honest, if not longer ago than that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
With the improvements to the ballpark, increase in the payroll, and the World Championship, I can't imagine ANYBODY still b****es about the name change. I haven't heard a peep about it since probably March or April of 2005 to be honest, if not longer ago than that.

I think he was referring to Cubs fans? Who, yes, still mock it. LOL.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 01:41 AM)

Me too I could give two flying fu*** what they call the ballpark. If its a nice park, a good place to see the game, has a good atmosphere (fans), good food, and has the sox they could call it Maxi Tampon stadium for all I care. If its a winner its winner regardless of its name.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
This is the new bar/restaurant area that has been rumored for awhile now. It actually dates back to when the new stadium was being built and they knocked out that old bar (i forget the name), and JR & Company promised to rebuild the bar(s) after the new stadium was completed. I remember talking to my friend who is a sox ticket rep and his brother about this at a game this year. He said they were defiantly planning on developing some sort of row of bars/restaurants underneath the ramps on 35th st. Obviously its more of a reconstruction/elimination of one of those ramps but you get the jist of it. I think this is really cool, its close to the Red Line stop and that 35th St ramp entrance area is has been so so widely under used and developed. Its nice to see the change. I cant wait to hear what announcement the sox make on what exactly is going in there. I would assume some sort of sports bars with both indoor and outdoor seating as well as some shops and vendors. Should be cool.

I am guessing you are referring to McCuddy's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
The smoking area is outside of the park right next to where they are building it.

It's not outside the park. It's on the ramp platform and according to the photo shop exactly where this new structure is being built. Regardless, it's owned by the state and (not) soon (enough) smoking will not be allowed at all.

QUOTE (Steff @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
It's not outside the park. It's on the ramp platform and according to the photo shop exactly where this new structure is being built. Regardless, it's owned by the state and (not) soon (enough) smoking will not be allowed at all.

Well, i understand you cant smoke in the park, thats been a rule for awhile now as they make you got outside like UC. But this restaurant/bar is going to be at the same gate as they outside smoking section over there, which is what I was saying.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Well, i understand you cant smoke in the park, thats been a rule for awhile now as they make you got outside like UC. But this restaurant/bar is going to be at the same gate as they outside smoking section over there, which is what I was saying.

So they actually moved the smoking area outside of the park? Outside of the black metal gates? And they let people back in? Last time I knew it was still in the park on the ramps. If they now make you go outside the gates I guess that's comparable to the UC policy, but what I have been hearing all over the place is that they are going to be adopting the Soldier Field policy which is smoking allowed until you pass the ticket taker.

QUOTE (Steff @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
So they actually moved the smoking area outside of the park? Outside of the black metal gates? And they let people back in? Last time I knew it was still in the park on the ramps. If they now make you go outside the gates I guess that's comparable to the UC policy, but what I have been hearing all over the place is that they are going to be adopting the Soldier Field policy which is smoking allowed until you pass the ticket taker.

Yeah, so they dont let you smoke on the ramps anymore, they have a gated off area outside of the black gates just like United Center.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah, so they dont let you smoke on the ramps anymore, they have a gated off area outside of the black gates just like United Center.

Correct...they heard us like sheep down there. I did get Brooks Boyer to say he would put the game on out there so we could hear it. That was annoying not knowing what was happening in the game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)

I had no idea. Wonder why it's a big deal to completely cut it off then.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Correct...they heard us like sheep down there. I did get Brooks Boyer to say he would put the game on out there so we could hear it. That was annoying not knowing what was happening in the game.

I had "one of those games" where I had just been overserved as hell this past summer, and it was a fun game smoking on the ramp near my section, getting yelled at, putting it out, lighting another, getting yelled at, putting it out, and on and on.

QUOTE (Steff @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
I had no idea. Wonder why it's a big deal to completely cut it off then.

At Hawk games you have to go down stairs and get your ticket scanned out by the turn styles. then you can smoke in a barracaded area in front of the entrance, its similar to a cattle pen. Then you have to pass the turn styles and get scanned back in. From the 300s there is time between periods to get down stairs , have one very rapid smoke, stop at the restroom, stop at the yuppie beer stand and make it back about 3 minutes before play resumes.

Its a hassle but you do get your cardio in and don't miss any action.

Baseball doesn't have long intermissions and the ban is much more inconvenient. I dropped my Ozzie plan last year because of it. I think its crazy to ban smoking on the outdoor ramps. To me designating smoking areas on the outdoor ramps is a reasonable accomodation to both smokers and non's.