Construction on the cell

That funky motion

I agree; my smoking friends were amazed that not only you couldn't smoke on the ramps, ther was only ONE place in the whole park that you could go. So if you sat in the outfield or UD, you were screwed, having to walk so far.

As for the restaurant/bar, yeah, I guess we need a replacement for Jimbo's don't we? I have a feeling the prices won't be Jimbo's-like, though.

God, it's gonna be weird not going up that ramp; that's where I usually enter.

Seems cool though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Restaurant my ass.

Illinois Sports Facilities Authority undertakes Gate 5 improvement project at U.S. Cellular Field

CHICAGO -- A significant capital repair project currently is underway at Gate 5 of U.S. Cellular Field, located across from the ballpark north of 35th Street.

The project, which was undertaken by the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (ISFA) as part of its capital repair responsibilities for the ballpark, will cost approximately $15 million and includes the following:

• Demolition of the eastern-most portion of the Gate 5 pedestrian ramp, located north of 35th Street;

• Removal of the top two levels of the eastern-most foot bridge across 35th Street, reducing the bridge to one level with continuing access to the ballpark on the main concourse level. The second foot bridge at Gate 5, approximately 75 yards west of the east bridge at 35th Street, will continue to offer access to the ballpark on three levels.

• Installation of escalators within a new, weather-protected enclosure at Gate 5.

• Installation of elevators at Gate 5 (expected after the start of the season), which will provide additional access to the ballpark for fans with disabilities entering from the north parking lots.

"ISFA's offseason improvement project at Gate 5 makes entering and exiting the ballpark for White Sox fans that much easier," said Terry Savarise, White Sox senior vice president of stadium operations. "The new escalators, which will be protected from the weather, will make the process even quicker for fans arriving from the north side of the ballpark. With the changes made during past renovations, we no longer require as many walkways over 35th Street connecting the ramps to the ballpark. Fans will really see a difference this April."

"The capital repair and maintenance project currently underway at Gate 5 of U.S. Cellular Field is part of our continued commitment to provide White Sox fans and the city of Chicago a world-class facility," said ISFA chief executive officer Perri Irmer. "Prior renovations, along with this project, have helped the ballpark evolve into one of the premier venues in baseball."

The demolition of the ramp at Gate 5 started last week, and ISFA is currently in the process of evaluating general contracting bids for the construction portion of the project.

The project is scheduled to be completed by Opening Day, April 6, 2009.

print this page

ChiSox

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
I saw somewhere that this is part one of three. That they couldn't get it all done before opening day, so they split it up.

their description doesnt mesh up with the renderings we've seen. Not my animated GF a few pages back. That isnt just a "renovation"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
http://www.isfauthority.com/images/35thStr...erings-2of2.jpg

http://www.isfauthority.com/images/35thStr...erings-1of2.jpg

There are doors where the current offices are. Maybe they will put the restaurant/bar and gift shop there.

That looks good but doesnt add up to what we have seen in the past. I heard from my friend who works for the sox that the restaurant/bar stuff we have seen has not yet been approved for construction nor finalized in any way. In fact when I showed him what I found he was like where did you find that. Seems like what we see above is step 1 of the improvement process. The restaurants/bars area is most likely then for the 2010 season since we know its still in prelimnary design phase. That being said the new ramp structure outside Gate 5 looks like an important step in creating this new area, it clears the space for the construction and allows ppl to enter and exit through 1 point, the way u would want it if you were going to get them into new shops and bars etc.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
That looks good but doesnt add up to what we have seen in the past. I heard from my friend who works for the sox that the restaurant/bar stuff we have seen has not yet been approved for construction nor finalized in any way. In fact when I showed him what I found he was like where did you find that. Seems like what we see above is step 1 of the improvement process. The restaurants/bars area is most likely then for the 2010 season since we know its still in prelimnary design phase. That being said the new ramp structure outside Gate 5 looks like an important step in creating this new area, it clears the space for the construction and allows ppl to enter and exit through 1 point, the way u would want it if you were going to get them into new shops and bars etc.

I have a feeling they are a little farther along in the restaurant / bar phase then they are leading on. It was almost two years ago that a teacher of mine was doing some renderings of a design for the new restaurant they were planning on adding. He didn't say a whole lot about it, other than he was excited to be working on the project, and that it was just getting underway. I'd imagine if they were planning this out two years ago with early interior renderings, then plans would almost certainly have to be done by now. I doubt it will be done by opening day, but I think that's the Sox dropping the ball here on the bids, not because it's not planned out yet.

QUOTE (soulfly @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
I have a feeling they are a little farther along in the restaurant / bar phase then they are leading on. It was almost two years ago that a teacher of mine was doing some renderings of a design for the new restaurant they were planning on adding. He didn't say a whole lot about it, other than he was excited to be working on the project, and that it was just getting underway. I'd imagine if they were planning this out two years ago with early interior renderings, then plans would almost certainly have to be done by now. I doubt it will be done by opening day, but I think that's the Sox dropping the ball here on the bids, not because it's not planned out yet.

The plans are almost certainly done. Next sentence, it's not planned out yet. ?????