Favorite Politician

Texsox

Who is your favorite politician?

Mine would have to be Senator Paul Simon. I always loved his integrity, honesty, and character. He cosponsored the Balanced Budget Amendment. He was a fiscal conservative Democrat who often time mentioned "pay as you go". He was also socially liberal, denounced racism and supported woman's rights. He also led the fight to allow direct student loans, which cut the cost for student borrowers.

Some will also credit his endorsement of Obama in launching Obama's rise.

We do not see many leaders like him.

Ralph Nader is my favorite, but I'm not sure you'd label him a politican.

I really like Bernie Sanders. I like his straightforwardness. He calls in every friday to the Thom Hartmann radio show and answers questions. He comes off as a guy this is in politics to help people.

I also liked Paul Wellstone. Very sad about him.

Edited by GoSox05

To add from wiki

Simon lived for many years in the small town of Makanda, south of Carbondale, where he was a professor and director of the SIU Public Policy Institute. While there, he tried to foster the Institute into becoming a think tank that could advance the lives of all people.

Activities included going to Liberia and Croatia to monitor their elections, bringing major speakers to campus, denouncing the death penalty, trying to end the United States embargo against Cuba,[14] fostering political courage among his students, and promoting amendments to the Constitution to end the Electoral College and to limit the president to a single six-year term of office. Concerning the Electoral College during the controversial Election 2000 fiasco, Simon said, "I think if somebody gets the majority vote, they should be president. But, I don't think the system is going to be changed."

Simon believed modern presidents practice "followship," rather than leadership, saying, "We have been more and more leaning on polls to decide what we're going to do, and you don't get leadership from polls... and not just at the presidential level. It's happening with senators, House members and even state legislators sometimes [when they] conduct polls to find out where people stand on something."[15]

:notworthy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
Without him you wouldn't have had your president in office for the last 8 years :P

not really. but you guys can keep blaming everything on the Nader boogeyman :lol:

edit: and swiftboats and hanging ballot chads

just imagine if Nader hadn't reached for that foul ball, you guys would have won it all.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
not really. but you guys can keep blaming everything on the Nader boogeyman :lol:

Florida was so close in 00 that I have like 14 things I can blame the disastrous last 8 years on.

Back on to the subject of the thread...Al Gore comes to mind...flame away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Florida was so close in 00 that I have like 14 things I can blame the disastrous last 8 years on.

Back on to the subject of the thread...Al Gore comes to mind...flame away.

I don't have the energy to go on a anti-Al Gore rant today. Maybe next week after a few cups of coffee.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
I really love Jan Schakowsky, couldn't be more proud to have her as my US representative in the House.

It was very cool to sit down and chat with her for a few minutes at the Obama volunteer HQ earlier this year. Very down to Earth.

I loved Paul Wellstone. Hearing about his death is, I think, as close to a Kennedy moment as I'll ever get with a politician.

I also really like Lisa Madigan--I've stopped loving Illinois politicians because they almost always let me down--but I feel good about her.

As far as local politics go, I really like my State Assembly Rep: Donna Lupardo.

+1 on Paul Simon.

Short story: In college, we were doing a documentary on the ADA and Senator Simon was kind enough to give us students 10 minutes of his time. And not the kind of time where he's looking at his watch and has one foot out the door. He was busy, but he gave us his time. AND it gave us immense credibility. Also, Michael Madigan agreed to be interviewed, but he isn't my favorite.