Black Friday Hot Deal Thread

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
We have a plasma (panasonic), great TV. Burn in isn't an issue on modern models. The picture on plasma is so similar in quality to LCD that the difference between brands/models of each is more important than the difference between LCD and plasma.

Two things that I did find worth noting, though...

1. Plasma is superior in that you can see it from a wider angle. If you have a bunch of people watching something, this can be important.

2. Unfortunately, plasma TV's like mine use a lot more electricity than LCD's do.

Take your pick as to what is most important to you.

The picture is more true on plasma's especially with dark levels, but I agree brand of TV is very important. As for the life of the TV, both LCD and plasma are generally around the same length in life as usually their half life is around 60k hours which is about 28 years of use at about 6 hours a day. Not sure where this "6 month" thing came from, sounds like an LCD salesman. Just like a plasma salesman is going to tell you that most LCD's come with dead pixels. For people who want real experts or videophiles opinions, search Avnet forums for real info.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Save a ton of dough I got a 65" DLP for a built in wall unit and can't really tell the difference with the 48" LCD I have.

Most poeple can not tell the difference between the two and it was about $1,000 less.

Only bad thing about the DLP is that they are fat and the viewing angle and the rainbow effect. Over the years though, they have drastically improved in all three areas. DLP's aren't a bad option at all. Heck, I was close to getting one before deciding on my plasma.

i have a 50" panasonic plasma at home and my brothers just bought two new LCDs at their houses and i can honestly say...i have never seen a better picture than the plasma that i have in my life....don't diminish how much the dark levels of a plasma add to the picture...its unreal

im not all that in the know about this stuff, but my brother got a TV maybe 3 months ago, and he was telling me it has some sort of capability that it smooths out the jump in between frames so the motion is supposedly more fluid....when watching it, specifically with sports, i found it pretty annoying as it just seems like the motion is digitized and not entirely natural

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
i have a 50" panasonic plasma at home and my brothers just bought two new LCDs at their houses and i can honestly say...i have never seen a better picture than the plasma that i have in my life....don't diminish how much the dark levels of a plasma add to the picture...its unreal

im not all that in the know about this stuff, but my brother got a TV maybe 3 months ago, and he was telling me it has some sort of capability that it smooths out the jump in between frames so the motion is supposedly more fluid....when watching it, specifically with sports, i found it pretty annoying as it just seems like the motion is digitized and not entirely natural

I did a TON of research on this lately as I just bought my plasma. I even spoke personally to a guy who works with cnet, some LCD's in larger sizes have that issue.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 05:33 AM)
Id recommend everyone not to go with plasma. Burn-in isnt that big of a deal anymore although still very possible. But the worse part about plasma is the color detiorates with use. After just 6 months of avg. use a plasma's picture wont be as good when you first opened it out of the box. If you want something that will look sweet for sports, get the 120hz on a LCD.

That is simply false.

The life of a plasma and LCD are the same. Not an issue. Burn in and 10,000 hour life are long gone with plasmas. A good plasma or LCD should last longer than a TV any of us will keep. Image retention on a plasma is a small issue, but it's not a big deal. I have had a couple of times where I had slight image retention and turning the station to a full HD signal all the time (like HD Theater) for about 10-15 minutes fixed it. Image retention is different than burn-in and is not a big deal. It's not a permanent thing.

Simply put, get an LCD if you have a room with a lot of natural light or you can't control the lighting in the room (meaning it is going to be bright on the tv no matter where in the room you put it). If light is not an issue, then seriously consider a plasma. Check out both and pick what suits your eyes the best. But keep in mind that TV's in stores are generally set to vivid mode, which is ultra bright. When you get your tv home and adjust the setting, you won't end up in vivid mode, meaning once you take away some of that store brightness, you will be looking at the true detail of the picture. I personally found plasma to be more appealing, but have nothing against an LCD. I really liked the Samsung LCD's and the Panasonic Plasma's. I would have been happy with either ultimately.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
You guys can say what you want but I work with tv's, both lcd and plasmas, and we have representatives of companies that come in and tell us what we need to know about their tv's. So my information is straight from the source, you guys are looking online from reviewers and whatnot.

Those are sales folks from the companies though dude, they are going to want to push you towards selling their more expensive devices. The third party reviews like CNET are non-biased and forums like AVNET are basically a bunch of consumers as well as experts and professionals.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
Those are sales folks from the companies though dude, they are going to want to push you towards selling their more expensive devices. The third party reviews like CNET are non-biased and forums like AVNET are basically a bunch of consumers as well as experts and professionals.

They dont sell anything though, they work for the company for example Sharp and he tells us all the features the Sharp tv has and advantage over other tv's, obviously shows a little bias towards his own brand compared to others. But than when the Samsung person comes in he informs on both the plasma/lcd's. Hell even the Panasonic representative who comes in as a regular admitted he himself had a Samsung lcd instead of a Panasonic plasma.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
They dont sell anything though, they work for the company for example Sharp and he tells us all the features the Sharp tv has and advantage over other tv's, obviously shows a little bias towards his own brand compared to others. But than when the Samsung person comes in he informs on both the plasma/lcd's. Hell even the Panasonic representative who comes in as a regular admitted he himself had a Samsung lcd instead of a Panasonic plasma.

You admit you receive bias statements. Of course, they are going to say, "My brand of tv is better because X X and X." From what you posted so far regarding burn-in and such, the people you are receiving your info from are giving you wrong information. The information you have provided us from your sources is information that was relevant about 5 years ago. Burn-in is no longer an issue with pixel shifting, white screen, and rolling screens. I'm not saying Plasma's are definitely better than LCD's or vice versa. Each has their perks. For picture quality, however, Plasma is by far the best. I suggest reading AVSForums as well. It is one of the best and most well respected websites on audio/video.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
You admit you receive bias statements. Of course, they are going to say, "My brand of tv is better because X X and X." From what you posted so far regarding burn-in and such, the people you are receiving your info from are giving you wrong information. The information you have provided us from your sources is information that was relevant about 5 years ago. Burn-in is no longer an issue with pixel shifting, white screen, and rolling screens. I'm not saying Plasma's are definitely better than LCD's or vice versa. Each has their perks. For picture quality, however, Plasma is by far the best. I suggest reading AVSForums as well. It is one of the best and most well respected websites on audio/video.

You have completely ignored everything I said. I already stated that burn in is not really an issue with plasma's anymore. And yes the representatives are obviously biased towards their own brands but some tv's make plasma's/lcd's like Samsung and Panasonic and I get information straight from them about the differences and advantages of one over the other. Also like I previously stated the Panasonic representative or one of them atleast who frequently visits our store has even admitted he owns a LCD himself and a Samsung at that.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
You have completely ignored everything I said. I already stated that burn in is not really an issue with plasma's anymore. And yes the representatives are obviously biased towards their own brands but some tv's make plasma's/lcd's like Samsung and Panasonic and I get information straight from them about the differences and advantages of one over the other. Also like I previously stated the Panasonic representative or one of them atleast who frequently visits our store has even admitted he owns a LCD himself and a Samsung at that.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Seems like those experts who come into your store need to learn a little more about technology. Unless I'm buying my own Jet Plane, I'll be watching the Plasma.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)

That is sales however.

Nobody is saying LCD's are crap or anything, in fact they are AWESOME and it came down to sports in particular for me to decide on the plasma. I saved about a grand over the 120 hz LCD's which I thought still have that pixelating during fast motion. Also, tell that guy Panny needs to stop making tv's with a red push.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Seems like those experts who come into your store need to learn a little more about technology. Unless I'm buying my own Jet Plane, I'll be watching the Plasma.

ok? lol do what you want, it even said exactly the same thing about burn in though, which for some reason you tried calling me out on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
1. Plasma is superior in that you can see it from a wider angle. If you have a bunch of people watching something, this can be important.

Perhaps you are thinking of DLP televisions, but my LCD tv is fully viewable from any angle anytime. Maybe that's because it's Samsung, which I will go to my grave telling anyone who asks to buy nothing but, but I haven't heard of angles mattering with LCD... that's DLP.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Perhaps you are thinking of DLP televisions, but my LCD tv is fully viewable from any angle anytime. Maybe that's because it's Samsung, which I will go to my grave telling anyone who asks to buy nothing but, but I haven't heard of angles mattering with LCD... that's DLP.

You can see it, but LCD's wash at angle, while Plasma is still 100 percent visible. It has something to do with the difference between pixels and the plasma gas tech, not sure the specifics.

And my Plas is Sammy, and it f***ing unreal. Do you have yours paired with any other Sammy devices? I would recommend getting a Sammy DVD player as the anynet linking is cool as hell.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
In the market for a new laptop, gonna check some ads out. Looking to swap to Hewlett Packard from Dell. Not sure what a good amount of memory and RAM to look for these days.

IMO, don't do it. The HP laptop I got is the biggest piece of s*** I have ever had. I've never had the same problems with Dell. And I have gone through 5 or 6 laptops in 10 years.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
IMO, don't do it. The HP laptop I got is the biggest piece of s*** I have ever had. I've never had the same problems with Dell. And I have gone through 5 or 6 laptops in 10 years.

Have an HP laptop and it's nothing but headaches. Thing is a worthless piece of trash.