Will Tampa Bay be back next year?

southsider2k5

The World Series is now over, and I am curious what other people think. It seems like most every year a "young" team emerges from relative obscurity and makes either a run at the playoffs, or deep into them. Thinking back, in the last 5 years you can point out The Marlins, Tigers, Indians, Rockies and Oakland have all emerged from mediocre expectations to over-achieve. The interesting part is many of them fall flat on their faces the next year. Will the Rays continue or buck this trend?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
They will be competitive, but I think the Yanks are going to get fat this off-season, and will return to being the class of the division.

I tend to agree with you. I think that the Yankees and Red Sox will make at least one major move each and I wouldn't be suprised if the O's did something to make themselves a little better, not to mention the Blue Jays, with a plus bat or two, will be very good. That's just such a rough division. I think the Rays will have an excellent team, but it's such a battlefield in the East it's hard to pick them to repeat.

They'll have Price in the rotation so they should be better there.

I'd look at trading a Kazmir though possibly, and getting some more arms into the system.

With the pen, I can't see Howell and Balfour being as good as they were this season, so they'll need another arm there.

Maybe a RF also, depending on what they do with Hinske and Floyd.

I can see them winning 90 games next season though.

I think that Tampa Bay has a shot at putting together the best record in baseball over the next 5-8 years if they're aren't incredibly jinxed by injuries. Upton will be better if healthy and a year older. Longoria probably keeps going up. Pena I dunno, but frankly this was a down season for him compared to 07. Navarro's still learning. Crawford was hurt for a while.

With the talent they already have, just having average drafts for the next few years will give them the tools to fill the holes they have. Eventually, when guys like Crawford finally start leaving 2-3 years down the road, either they make another run and take the draft picks or they trade them to keep going. And then maybe a guy like Beckham steps in around 21-22 years old.

They need a little bit of bullpen help, but you have to figure they now have a little more money to spend after this year as well, and they have the talent to move guys around or trade guys to find the pieces they need.

Unlike previous "young" World Series teams, the Rays have an incredible rotation. That's not going anywhere, and in fact, it will get better. The Rays will also have some extra revenue to spend if they so choose (how much they spend remains to be seen). They may choose to get the RH hitting RF that they were looking for at the deadline, or they'll upgrade the bullpen. This is a smart organization with the best farm system in baseball even with Price up. They're not going anywhere.

I think the bullpen is in need of a closer, dont know if Percival has another season in him or not. Other than that they could definitely use more bat in the lineup, a DH or RF. The rest of the team is very solid and like has been mentioned before having David Price will be a nice addition to the rotation.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
I think the bullpen is in need of a closer,

I still like the idea of Edwin Jackson as a closer. He's very much a one dimensional fireballer with limited control. THe Rays should exploit this, and utlize him in the bottom 9. So, Put Price in the rotation, move Sonnanstine either to another team or to relief, and work from there.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
I still like the idea of Edwin Jackson as a closer. He's very much a one dimensional fireballer with limited control. THe Rays should exploit this, and utlize him in the bottom 9. So, Put Price in the rotation, move Sonnanstine either to another team or to relief, and work from there.

Why would you move Sonnanstine when you are already moving Jackson to closer?

I do like the Jackson to closer idea though, and I think it's something they should try. Rotation of Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Price, Sonnanstine, good lineup...I think they'll be back next year.

I'd almost bet they end up in 3rd place next year. Some of those guys had career years this past season. Price will be very nice in the rotation though. Not saying they're not good...but I really don't expect the same results next year.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
I'd almost bet they end up in 3rd place next year. Some of those guys had career years this past season. Price will be very nice in the rotation though. Not saying they're not good...but I really don't expect the same results next year.

Other than guys in the bullpen, I'd disagree with this. And I still like Howell going forward...good fastball and breaking pitch. I think Balfour is going to get his s*** lit up next year though.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)

I can understand saying that about Sonnanstine perhaps, maybe Balfour and Wheeler in their pen, but other than that who would you say had a career year for them?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
I can understand saying that about Sonnanstine perhaps, maybe Balfour and Wheeler in their pen, but other than that who would you say had a career year for them?

Well maybe not career years...I probably should have said played over their heads. Right off the top of my I'll say Pena, Iwamura, Shields.... and does anybody think Dioner Navarro will hit close to .300 again? Again...not saying they're not a good team or anything...I think they just had a magical year and would be shocked if they did it again next year.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Well maybe not career years...I probably should have said played over their heads. Right off the top of my I'll say Pena, Iwamura, Shields.... and does anybody think Dioner Navarro will hit close to .300 again? Again...not saying they're not a good team or anything...I think they just had a magical year and would be shocked if they did it again next year.

Well, on that list, I'll point out that both Pena and Iwamura had better numbers in 2007 than in 2008. They are both around 29-30, so they might be declining a little with age but there's not a lot of wear on those tires I'd say.

Besides the bullpen, I really don't see anyone on the Rays that went crazy last season. Kazmir was a disappointment. Upton and Crawford both took big steps back from 2007. Pena took a huge step back from his 2007 season (not unexpected, but shows that he didn't really "overachieve"). I don't think it's so wrong to say that they could have been better. As strange as that sounds, but 4 of their best players regressed pretty significantly in 2008. In fact, compared with 2007, more of their regulars were worse than better.

Not shown in the stats is the fact that they have some of the best infield defense in years. Longoria, Bartlett, and Iwamura are all GG caliber. Pena pretty good himself. And with Crawford and Upton in the OF, the Rays have to be the best defensive team in MLB, imo.

Edited by sircaffey

The thing on that team that really frightens me btw is that aside from Price, they have 2 guys who were on their team this year who may very well take BIG steps next year, esp. after their postseason performances. Garza and in particular Upton. BJ Upton looks like he should be a star, and he was held back by injury all season until he let go in the playoffs and hit like 7 home runs. He could be in for a huge jump next year. Garza had an ERA of 3.96 in the first half and an ERA of 3.39 in the 2nd, he was terrible in April but got it together after that.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)

I 100% disagree with you, the only guy on that team who had a career year was balfour. Everyone else is either young and improving actually or have had better seasons in the past.

If anything id bet on improvement from a few of their players.

With the natural progression of David Price and Evan Longoria, along with a fatter payroll due to exposure/playoff revenue, the Rays are going to be just as good if not better next year.

I don't buy that the Yankees will be much better... their major stars are one year older, and it sounds like Sabathia might wind up staying with the Brewers.

The Red Sox... also one year older... they need Big Papi to be the MVP type bat to have a shot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
The World Series is now over, and I am curious what other people think. It seems like most every year a "young" team emerges from relative obscurity and makes either a run at the playoffs, or deep into them. Thinking back, in the last 5 years you can point out The Marlins, Tigers, Indians, Rockies and Oakland have all emerged from mediocre expectations to over-achieve. The interesting part is many of them fall flat on their faces the next year. Will the Rays continue or buck this trend?

No,they won t be back next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
With the natural progression of David Price and Evan Longoria, along with a fatter payroll due to exposure/playoff revenue, the Rays are going to be just as good if not better next year.

I don't buy that the Yankees will be much better... their major stars are one year older, and it sounds like Sabathia might wind up staying with the Brewers.

The Red Sox... also one year older... they need Big Papi to be the MVP type bat to have a shot.

its scary to think that Longoria will only get better if you look at how he started