Options Declined On Griffey & Hall

bschmaranz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Besides Olivo, who's the best defensive FA C out there on the market?

pudge, but that probly wont happen. blanco, if he doesnt stay with the cubs, thats about it..i dont know how good barajas or estrada are defensively

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
pudge, but that probly wont happen. blanco, if he doesnt stay with the cubs, thats about it..i dont know how good barajas or estrada are defensively

I'd take Blanco as a backup.

Pudge will want a starting gig somewhere I'd think.

Either way, we need a backup catcher who's going to be better defensively than Hall was.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I'd take Blanco as a backup.

Pudge will want a starting gig somewhere I'd think.

Either way, we need a backup catcher who's going to be better defensively than Hall was.

id take blanco in a second. he has a really good arm and hes not that bad with the bat. but the cubs know that too and id be surprised if they didnt pick up his option for 3 mil... looking at his numbers he only hit 3 hrs and drove in 12 in 120 abs lol but the d is there

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
WOW! Put down the TOBY HALL Koolaid!

I started going for a lame "one's heading for the front of the hall, one will only have hall on his back" kind of reference.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
I reckon that Armstrong is impressing the hell out of the organization right now. And that prior to the AFL they would have never considered cutting ties with Hall. That being said, I think they'll still offer him a contract albeit much lower than his last.

Armstrong is tempting, but, he hits lefty and has trouble with LHP. Not an ideal backup to AJ.

Lucy would have been a good fit, and still may be, if he can show up in ST healthy. But that seems to be a long shot at this point.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Hopefully Hall is done with the Sox. He sounded like a great clubhouse guy, but I think a subtle move that could improve the team a lot is having a good backup catcher. AJ plays too much because the backup catchers haven't offered much.

Yeah...I'm sure everybody's gonna miss those shaving cream pies. I look forward to having somebody that can actually throw somebody out.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
Yeah...I'm sure everybody's gonna miss those shaving cream pies. I look forward to having somebody that can actually throw somebody out.

It wasn't all the catcher's fault about not throwing out runners. With few exceptions, the Sox pitching staff sucked at keeping runners close.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
It wasn't all the catcher's fault about not throwing out runners. With few exceptions, the Sox pitching staff sucked at keeping runners close.

Actually, of the starters... one was very good (MB), one was pretty good (Danks), one was mediocre (Vazquez), and one was terrible (Floyd). Contreras is terrible too, but, he was around only half the season. So while it does depend on the pitcher to a certain degree, I think that starting 4 are probably overall pretty average among teams in baseball.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
WOW! Put down the TOBY HALL Koolaid!

Think of the huge repercussions this move could have on Nick Swisher. It took until early October for Swisher to confide in a teammate about his legendary bat, Thunderbolt. That teammate was Toby Hall. I imagine he’s going to be devastated.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Think of the huge repercussions this move could have on Nick Swisher. It took until early October for Swisher to confide in a teammate about his legendary bat, Thunderbolt. That teammate was Toby Hall. I imagine he’s going to be devastated.

Swisher might be gone anyways

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
Besides Olivo, who's the best defensive FA C out there on the market?

Would the Sox sign Olivo again? I don't think the kid is a bad catcher at all and offensively is better than some out there. He can hit with some authority and poor Toby seemed to be more of a singles hitter after coming back from the injury. Question on Olivo is whether he is afit with this team or not.

I say sign Olivo 100 billion percent!! When he was with the Sox I always said, man he would be a great backup..and man does he have an arm...Can you imagine late in the game..tie game..with a guy who can throw someone out trying to steal..or at least put pressure on an opponent!

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
I say sign Olivo 100 billion percent!! When he was with the Sox I always said, man he would be a great backup..and man does he have an arm...Can you imagine late in the game..tie game..with a guy who can throw someone out trying to steal..or at least put pressure on an opponent!

IIRC he was absolutely crushed when the Sox dealt him. He loved it here. I'd take him back in a heartbeat!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
IIRC he was absolutely crushed when the Sox dealt him. He loved it here. I'd take him back in a heartbeat!

ok, u's are all saying that. while i would love to bring him back, havent u guys heard, he wants to start! so if no team wants him as a starter we could resign him, so who knows.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
ok, u's are all saying that. while i would love to bring him back, havent u guys heard, he wants to start! so if no team wants him as a starter we could resign him, so who knows.

So did Toby Hall when we signed him.