Options Declined On Griffey & Hall

bschmaranz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
Miguel Olivo isn't going to sign with the White Sox to get 140 AB. With AJP around, that is what he'd max out at if AJ didn't get hurt.

He was pissed about getting only 300 AB last year I'm sure he'd be perfectly content with cutting that in more than half. Considering how many s***ty starting catchers there are in the game today and the fact that Miggy put up a .722 OPS last season and is still only 30 years old I'm sure he'll find a team willing to guarantee him the majority of their PA at catcher.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 01:55 AM)
he's not powerful enough to be a full time 3B.

Can we stop being under the assumption that someone has to have certain hitting traits to play a position? Heck, even if you are a believer in that, I beg you to make the exception for the White Sox. We have well above to above average power at nearly every position. Believe me, we will survive if we don't have power at 3rd base.

Although I am not on the bandwagon to make Inge on 3rd baseman, believe me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Blanco is 37. I still want him, but I didn't realize he was so old.

I did. Regardless, for a backup catcher, it's not so bad. He still is a prime defender and has the ability to do what none of our catchers minus Miguel Olivo was able to do and that's throw out runners. 2 years, 2 million sounds about right. Heck give him 1 year 3 million with a team option for a 2nd year.

In other news, apparently Griffey really wants to come back and will gauge what will it take for him to be brought back to the Southside. From all accounts, and this is my personal opinion after reading all articles, playing with the White Sox is his first choice.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:19 PM)
I did. Regardless, for a backup catcher, it's not so bad. He still is a prime defender and has the ability to do what none of our catchers minus Miguel Olivo was able to do and that's throw out runners. 2 years, 2 million sounds about right. Heck give him 1 year 3 million with a team option for a 2nd year.

In other news, apparently Griffey really wants to come back and will gauge what will it take for him to be brought back to the Southside. From all accounts, and this is my personal opinion after reading all articles, playing with the White Sox is his first choice.

If Cora becomes the manager of the Mariners I bet Griffey follows him

Goldberg said White Sox GM Ken Williams indicated a willingness to talk to Griffey about coming back at a reduced salary.

"Junior still wants to talk to the White Sox," he said.

Griffey underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left

and is strong possibilty that could happened

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Goldberg said White Sox GM Ken Williams indicated a willingness to talk to Griffey about coming back at a reduced salary.

"Junior still wants to talk to the White Sox," he said.

Griffey underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left

and is strong possibilty that could happened

I hope it's a very reduced salary. I really don't see the point of bringing Jr. back.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Nostalgia purposes. He's Ken Griffey Jr! The one player that could play on my team for as long as he wanted to. Even if he was 70.

I've seen too many old washed up players in a Sox uniform to be all feel good happy about Griffey wearing it. Ron Santo, George Foster, Rocky Colavito, Steve Carlton, to name just a few.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
I hope it's a very reduced salary. I really don't see the point of bringing Jr. back.

Depends on what else is done.

Jr. makes a reasonable addition as a 4th OF in my mind, especially if we wind up having a RH dominated OF because we do something like move Swisher. No matter how Wise is on defense, I think I'd much prefer Griffey's bat and presence, as long as we're not talking about a $10 million deal to do it. If it came down to Griffey, Owens, and Wise as "Who do you want at 4th OF", and all of them at reasonable prices for that # of at bats, I think I'd probably go with Griffey, depending of course on how everything else falls out.l

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
I've seen too many old washed up players in a Sox uniform to be all feel good happy about Griffey wearing it. Ron Santo, George Foster, Rocky Colavito, Steve Carlton, to name just a few.

Bo Jackson

Tom Seaver (although he gave us some productive years)

Roberto Alomar

Sandy Alomar

Steve Sax

Cory Snyder

David Wells