Kenny's Depth chart-->3rd base

southsider2k5

So most everyone knows about Kenny Williams infamous three year depth chart of the White Sox line ups. The question is, what do people think third base looks like on there for 2009, 2010, and 2011?

Who are the external and internal candidates that are showing up on that list right now?

My feeling right now is that our 3B for 2009 will be someone not currently with the organization. I think Fields will get traded.

For the future, depends on who we acquire. Our system is pretty shallow at that position. Retherford shows some signs he might be pretty good, but, he's still a couple years away from the majors, and is still a question mark. Matt Innouye plays the position and can hit, but, he's looking like a utility guy. I don't see anyone in the system other than Retherford who is even somewhat likely to start some day.

Looking around 3B is our worse position. In the past five years we have had two guys who have demonstrated they can play adequately at the MLB level when healthy. Problem is, both are question marks health wise. The obvious #1 spot in the depth chart right now has to be the only one under contract, Fields. If healthy, he can be one of the serviceable players on the roster. You can't have all-stars at every position, but he could one of the three or four spots that are just there. Neither great, nor bad. Much like that 4th or 5th starter.

Could we be competitive with a "Uribe-type" over there if Fields isn't healthy? I don't think so. The division looks to be pretty tough next year.

So, I'm guessing FA is answer. I don't see a trade happening that would help at third without digging another hole elsewhere.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
Atkins and Kouzmanoff would be nice, and Figgins would be better as a 2B option.

But, Beltre's too expensive, & Blake and Mora seem too old.

Blake would be fine for a two year contract, with Beckham slotted to take his place in mid 2010 or play 2B and then move back over to 3B in 2011 to start the season. Maybe he will be an exception to the rule (remember the days of Thomas and Ventura making more immediate impacts...or Alex Fernandez?) and play for the Sox next season, but I'm not counting on that yet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
Blake would be fine for a two year contract

He's older than anyone but Thome on the Sox's roster - 35.

Mora is 37.

I wouldn't offer a contract to anyone over 32, since the Sox will be rebuilding by 2010.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 03:56 AM)
You tell me why, and I'll believe you.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/basebal...ives/148634.asp

Even agent not sure when Beltre will have surgery

I had a brief chat with Scott Boras, the agent for Seattle third baseman Adrian Beltre, among others.

I asked what he was suggesting Beltre do as the third baseman decides between shutting it down for the season and having surgery on his left thumb in the next few days and waiting until the end of the season and having the surgery after that.

Timing is an issue because the listed recovery time from the surgery is 4-5 months, and with the Mariners buried in the cellar, being ready for next year is the bigger priority. And with the start of spring training next year earlier than ever because of baseball's accomodation for the 2009 World Baseball Classic.

''We've made our suggestions,'' said Boras, who frequently talks in the first person plural. ''But Adrian is an 11-year veteran, and I don't know how much influence we'd have on something like that, because he's the one who ultimately has to make the decision.''

Boras indicated that he thought Beltre would ultimately opt to cut his season short and have the surgery, but even as Beltre's agent, he doesn't know for sure.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
That just tells me there will be a lot of money to play with. I try and judge the future based on the past. Williams hasn't given us the slightest hint of rebuilding in his time here, and I don't expect it to start in 2010.

I don't think there will be a 'rebuilding'. But, I do think they will make an effort to continue to get younger, like with Danks, Floyd, TCQ, ARam.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
I agree.

As long as there's an upgrade made in the middle infield over Nix/Getz, I wouldn't see the problem with that. An infield of Fields, Alexei, Nix, and Konerko/Swisher is a worrisome infield though, although there's enough talent there that it could surprise.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 03:50 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947751

Do they want to give up decent prospects, plus pay $13 mil for a one year loaner?

Considering how good Beltre could be for the Sox with the possibility of him becoming a type A free agent, yeah I'd say they'd do it. You aren't going to give up Poreda to get him, so really I'd have very little problem with it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 03:50 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947751

Do they want to give up decent prospects, plus pay $13 mil for a one year loaner?

1.) He makes $12M next year.

2.) If he manages even a mild improvement in his numbers next year (switching from Safeco to the Cell, come on) then he's pretty much guaranteed to be a Type A free agent which would net the Sox 2 draft picks and help make up for whatever prospects it took to acquire him.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 05:07 AM)
I could see Beltre at 3b. The sox should make at least one deal for a guy who'll be in his walk year that they can offer arb. to and net draft picks [ala Cabrera]. Beltre fits the profile.

If they get Beltre via trade, I would then immediately sign him to an extension (kind of like the Garcia deal). Then KW's focus would be to get a leadoff hitter to play 2b or CF or both. I know Colorodo is putting Tavarez available. He had the type of season Pods had right before they traded for him. To me, thats a KW type of move. We have to remember, KW's trade for him a few years back almost went through (Garland for Tavarez). I would be okay with letting Getz/Nix battle out for the 2b job. However, I really hope he explores the Brian Roberts situation one more time. Because if you get Roberts, you can move Tavarez to the 9 spot.

If you remember, that deal was for Taveras, Buchholz and Hirsch...I guess Taveras would give you a better arm and defense than Pods, as long as we got the expected power from the rest of the line-up and the production at 3B and 2B is AL-average, then we WOULD/SHOULD be okay...

I really don't see us going into the season with an Anderson/Owens platoon in CF, Fields, and Nix/Getz at 2B.