Kenny's Depth chart-->3rd base

southsider2k5

In which case, KW would probably ask for some kind of verbal/gentleman's (if such a word is possible with that slimeball) agreement (like the option year on Thome being covered by Gillick...handshake deal) on an extension to be announced shortly after the trade, not unlike the Garcia midseason move.

Otherwise, no deal...or the talent we give up is markedly different considering he would likely be just a one year rental or band-aid for the new hole at 3B.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
If they get Beltre via trade, I would then immediately sign him to an extension (kind of like the Garcia deal). Then KW's focus would be to get a leadoff hitter to play 2b or CF or both. I know Colorodo is putting Tavarez available. He had the type of season Pods had right before they traded for him. To me, thats a KW type of move. We have to remember, KW's trade for him a few years back almost went through (Garland for Tavarez). I would be okay with letting Getz/Nix battle out for the 2b job. However, I really hope he explores the Brian Roberts situation one more time. Because if you get Roberts, you can move Tavarez to the 9 spot.

If the sox could re-sign Beltre, great. But they probably would be going in with the intent to offer him arb. and net picks for him. If the sox could do the same with Roberts, I'd be fine with getting him instead of Beltre. I think the sox want Getz/ Nix for 2b. But have another option if they could get Roberts.

I also think the sox should go after Taveras for CF.

This whole idea of picking up draft picks all over the place is all fine and good, but it has never really been a key consideration (previously) because we were always "reloading" on the run and have never really taken the time to try to build depth for 2-3 years down the line, always trying to win it all each year...maybe he's starting to realize (KW) that the depth from the picks (if they are utilized by the scouting department and the money's there to sign them) gives him more ammunition to make moves for player like Roberts and Beltre, etc.

We aren't that far off...if only Borchard had become a reliable player, we'd have a powerful LH bat in the middle of the line-up to go with Josh Fields and Chris Young...at least 60-65% of our problems would have been solved.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 11:18 AM)
I think what your seeing is a new commitment to drafting, and I like it.

It's the Buddy-factor.

I think KW has more confidence that if he puts resources into the farm system, that he'll see something positive come out of it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
This whole idea of picking up draft picks all over the place is all fine and good, but it has never really been a key consideration (previously) because we were always "reloading" on the run and have never really taken the time to try to build depth for 2-3 years down the line, always trying to win it all each year...maybe he's starting to realize (KW) that the depth from the picks (if they are utilized by the scouting department and the money's there to sign them) gives him more ammunition to make moves for player like Roberts and Beltre, etc.

We aren't that far off...if only Borchard had become a reliable player, we'd have a powerful LH bat in the middle of the line-up to go with Josh Fields and Chris Young...at least 60-65% of our problems would have been solved.

If the sox can add potential impact players like Beckham and Jordan Danks via the draft [as the Red sox have done to great effect, esp . with their young pitching] and make trades to fill holes, there is a lot to be said for acquiring 1 and done players to load up on picks. The sox would have more players of value to other teams. And players who could make a long term impact, and play for many years on the south side.

The 2008 draft class looks very solid. And the new scouting team in place may be the cause. I'd like to see far more of the sox roster be home grown players in the years ahead.