Fields to start in 2009?

DBAHO

Very interesting, may we be going after a CF come the off-season then?

After Philadelphia beat Tampa Bay and won the World Series on Wednesday night, baseball's off-season officially began.

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams went right to work.

Thursday started with the signing of free-agent second baseman Jayson Nix to a one-year, $400,000 contract.

As expected, the Sox also declined to pick up the 2009 club options on veteran outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and backup catcher Toby Hall.

And late Thursday afternoon, Williams confirmed that Alexei Ramirez is moving from second base to shortstop, meaning Orlando Cabrera's stormy stay on the South Side is over after one year.

In a surprising development, Williams said Josh Fields is going to be the White Sox' starting third baseman next season.

"When a guy can play, he can play," Williams said. "Josh Fields can play. He showed the year before (2007) he was ready to play third base in the major leagues. I'm not looking for another third baseman."

Joe Crede is headed for the free-agent market, assuming his back is healthy, and Juan Uribe also is a free agent.

That leaves Fields, who was slowed by a sore right knee this season after batting .244 with 23 home runs and 67 RBI for the Sox in 2007.

Fields has arthroscopic surgery on the knee shortly after the White Sox were knocked out of the first round of the playoffs by Tampa Bay.

"The only thing wrong with Josh Fields this year was his health," Williams said. "And it was more than just his knee. He was pretty banged up."

With Fields apparently set at third base and Ramirez more than capable of sliding over from second base to shortstop - which is his natural position - Williams expects Nix and top prospect Chris Getz to battle it out at second.

"I like the tandem there," Williams said. "They are baseball-type players, grinder-type guys that can do a lot of things."

Nix opened the 2007 season as the Colorado Rockies' starting second baseman, but he was designated for assignment at the end of April.

The 44th overall pick in the 2001 first-year player draft, Nix batted .125 (7-for-56) in 22 games with the Rockies. He also batted .303 with 17 home runs and 51 RBI in 67 games with Class AAA Colorado Springs.

Nix made international headlines in August while playing for the U.S. Olympic team in Beijing. Attempting to bunt in a game against Cuba, he was hit in the face and suffered a laceration above his left eye.

"He's a good player," Williams said. "As we sit here right now, he is a guy that is going to fit into our equation."

The Sox decided Griffey and Hall were not good fits.

Griffey, who turns 39 on Nov. 21, wanted to return to the White Sox in 2009 after coming over in a July 31 trade from the Cincinnati Reds.

But the future Hall of Famer struggled during his two-month stay, batting .260 with 3 home runs and 18 RBI in 41 games.

Griffey had a $16.5 million option for next season. The Sox and the Reds will split his $4 million buyout.

"After we sat down and reviewed the season and the direction we are heading, we made the decision," Williams said. "He was unbelievably understanding, and he said he never had so much fun playing baseball. I'm just sorry that, collectively, we couldn't get him on a bigger stage and let him win his first World Series."

Hall gets a $150,00 buyout after the White Sox passed on his $2.25 million option. The reserve catcher batted .260 with 2 homers and 7 RBI in 41 games with the Sox this season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Fields is, I'm guessing, Plan B. Plan A is to go get someone KW wants.

yup, also trying to increase Field's value at least a touch by saying he's a starter. With Fields and Lexi on the left side, our defense will be awful.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
yup, also trying to increase Field's value at least a touch by saying he's a starter. With Fields and Lexi on the left side, our defense will be awful.

Ramirez was above average overall at 2B, I thought. Mental mistakes, but also made a lot of plays that many others at that position do not. Not sure how that will translate to SS, but, that was his native position. I'd be he develops into a plus defender over there (thought he probably won't be right away).

Fields is definitely a big downgrade defensively from Uribe or Crede (the uninjured version), and that would be tough to watch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Let me immediately call bulls***, and just say that Kenny talks like this all of the time. He always says the guys that are here are "his" guys. Then a month later he goes out and gets the guy he really wants. This is just Kenny being Kenny.

Yup...i wont believe this until we leave ST and Fields is still the starting 3B. Kenny says stuff like this all the time

I'm not only thinking this is typical KW talk, I'm hoping it as well. Fields is brutal at 3B defensively. I don't mind Getz having a shot at 2B because I loved what I saw last year. He at the least should get a shot. Nix will probably be the defensive replacement guy. Looks like KW though isn't going to do much through FA, but rather via trades as Stoney said.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Let me immediately call bulls***, and just say that Kenny talks like this all of the time. He always says the guys that are here are "his" guys. Then a month later he goes out and gets the guy he really wants. This is just Kenny being Kenny.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Fields is, I'm guessing, Plan B. Plan A is to go get someone KW wants.

:notworthy

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
I believe him about Fields, though. Playing regularly, lets face it, Crede's usual .260 average will be matched easily. Just another way to get a bit younger. I like the commitment.

You think so huh? Unless Fields cuts down on his K's, .260 or there about is best case scenario for him OFFENSIVELY.

I won't even get into Fields at 3B defensively. He's a butcher.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
You think so huh? Unless Fields cuts down on his K's, .260 or there about is best case scenario for him OFFENSIVELY.

I won't even get into Fields at 3B defensively. He's a butcher.

True, but he did show a willingness to take more fungoes and to learn more. Then he got hurt. He made some good plays in 2007, so I think the base is there...but he still has a lot of work to do. that's not to say that if another 3B comes via trade, they wouldn't hesitate to ship Fields off somewhere.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
I believe him about Fields, though. Playing regularly, lets face it, Crede's usual .260 average will be matched easily. Just another way to get a bit younger. I like the commitment.

It will be much harder to replace th defense and defense is what wins games. Plus if Creded is healthy you have a 30 homer guy that is a clutch performer. I am in the group that believes things will still happen this off season that can change this story line

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
It will be much harder to replace th defense and defense is what wins games. Plus if Creded is healthy you have a 30 homer guy that is a clutch performer. I am in the group that believes things will still happen this off season that can change this story line

And therein lies the problem.

2 points.

1. I kinda actually hope he's not kidding. If he's healthy and puts in the work this offseason and spring after his surgery, I'd really like to see if Josh can handle a full ML season and maybe give us 30 hr/nearly 100 RBI. We know he can, he just has to do it.

2. I think KW is kind of happy that he's not desperate for any position this offseason, especially now that he's signed Nix. He doesn't need to go and just dump money at someone desperately hoping they'll sign. Now he can play his game. Out of 2b, CF, 3B, SP, and RP, He'll probably wind up filling like 3-4 spots with someone new and unexpected, and the spot that doesn't get filled he'll roll the dice.

i believe kenny isnt lying. I dont know who you guys are thinking were getting at 3b. But, theirs not much out there. When you listen Kenny that he wants young talent and daily hearald metions roberts, co co crisp, figgins etc. Im sorry to say these guys arent young anymore lol. The market looks bad for 3b and 2b. I dont know if your looking andy marte, theahen, tyoe. But, what 3b would be at that postion

KW is telling the truth. Remember last spring training,he didn't want to send Fields down but basically had to with Crede being healthy. Last off season everyone was ready to hand Fields the job. Why not this year? He had an injury plagued year and needs to get in better shape. I think he'll be fine at 3B.Say he hits .260/30 HR/80-100 RBI, how could you not be happy with that? I'd at least give him first shot to see what he can do.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)

I can't wait for Crede to be gone, just so I can stop reading your posts about him.

I hope Kenny is telling the truth. I know that right now Fields is no Crede (healthy) defensively. But I honestly believe if he comes in healthy and ready to go, he's going to put in the work and improve. And we already saw he can hit when healthy.

"Absolutely," Williams said. "As we sit here today, everyone knows my confidence in Chris Getz. And the only reason [Fields] couldn't step in when Joe Crede went down was because he was beaten up, really playing on one leg. That doesn't shake my feelings of the caliber of player that he is.

"Josh proved he's a big leaguer in 2007. Do we want him to get better at third base? Yeah, but that naturally will happen because he will be playing 2009 on two legs."

More here.

As for the search for a leadoff man, that job also might be filled from within in the person of Jerry Owens.

“I had one scout tell me, one who saw a lot of Jerry Owens, that ‘If you didn’t have Owens, you would be out looking for Owens,’” said Williams with a laugh. "We went into last year with Owens slated to be our leadoff guy and only an injury derailed that. It’s not the worst thing if that’s how we end up.

Well Kenny if Mr Owens didnt get hurt Q would be on the bench rotting for most of the year. So yes, it was the worst possible thing to have Owens as our leadoff guy last year. I would rather pick up someone who can hit a bit over the fast guy who cant get on base, cant hit, and cant field that well.

The scout that made that comment needs to find another line of work. If we are looking for a bad fast guy for a starting role, I dont want that person helping mold this team.

Edited by southsideirish71