Fields to start in 2009?

DBAHO

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
I was a fan of Josh Fields, but after seeing him last year, I want him traded ASAP while he still has some value. Watching him at plate, he has about 0% confidence and his approach is beyond awful. He and Brandon Wood are very similar, IMO. Both are big pussies when they are at bat.

I agree Fields looked horrible last year. The knee injury had to have effected him, as he looked far more dangerous at bat in 2007. But Fields shouldn't just be given away. The sox should be able to get value for him. If not, keep him and add players elsewhere.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with Griffey and Konerko in the first half, you really have to give Fields at least ONE more chance before you ditch him at near rock-bottom value.

The guy projected to a mid 30's homer season if he played more than 100 games two years ago. That's not shabby. And, most importantly, his contract/youth makes him a player who has to succeed unless we want a $135-150 million payroll, which isn't very realistic.

Anyone who's played baseball knows that your knee (especially plant or back leg) being messed up, your wrists, your hips, your ribcage (pulled rib muscles are the worst in the world for an athlete in a sport like baseball, basketball, tennis or golf) is vitally important to having a "power" swing...see Griffey/Konerko 2008...and I think they will at least give him another chance to win the job in spring training. Might be wrong, but I think KW would prefer to roll the dice with Fields and Nix/Getz than with Anderson/Owens and having no leadoff hitter against LH pitchers (certainly BA is never going to be a leadoff hitter...and there are huge doubts about his ability to be an everyday player, at least in Chicago).