Farm system shakeup?

fathom

I think the Sox just had their big annual organizational meeting.

In light of the Wilder firing and Regier demotion in May... there are probably some loose ends the organization feels the need to clean up.

Plus this marks the end of Buddy Bell's first year. Likely there will be some housecleaning of scouts, coaches, etc, as he continues to restructure the minor league system the way he wants it.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Likely there will be some housecleaning of scouts, coaches, etc, as he continues to rebuild the minor league system.

Let's get rid of the guy responsible for this gem. "I had one scout tell me, one who saw a lot of Jerry Owens, that 'If you didn't have Owens, you would be out looking for Owens,'" said Williams with a laugh. "We went into last year with Owens slated to be our leadoff guy and only an injury derailed that. It's not the worst thing if that's how we end up.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
probably some new coaches or telliing how they offically let go people

I would not be suprised to see the return of Tim Raines to the organization. He coached the Nationals AA team last year, but was let go. It would only be approriate for him to come home. Does anyone know if Fisk or Ventura have expressed any interest in coaching? They always seemed like coaching would be a decent fit to them.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
I would really like to see Carlton Fisk back with the organization as a coach and ready to step in for Ozzie. Ventura also. But, maybe with 3B being as up in the air as it is Rockin Robin can can still play?

Heck while we are at it maybe Fisk can still play as backup to Perz?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
I have no idea what the blurb at the end of this article means.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5597399.story

The B'ham coaching staff did a hell of a job in 2008, so they should either return or be promoted. Tim Blackwell and Chris Cron should be retained as well.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
The B'ham coaching staff did a hell of a job in 2008, so they should either return or be promoted. Tim Blackwell and Chris Cron should be retained as well.

Damn!!! I just read this...

"Replacing Valentin as manager at Inland Empire is Carlos Subero, who joins the organization after managing the White Sox Double-A Birmingham club in 2008."

I wonder if they may be targeting Arbuckle (I doubt it, but still you never know);

Unfortunately for the Phillies, scouting director Mike Arbuckle, one of the men greatly responsible for building the World Series champs, is leaving the organization after losing out to Amaro.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
I wonder if they may be targeting Arbuckle (I doubt it, but still you never know);

Yes, Brillaint! I was just about to post this. The guy reallys know his baseball, and has an eye for talent that is often compared to the top evaluators of the game (White, Forst, , ETC) You wanna shake things up? Arbuckle could be the man. That being said, if Gillick gets an advisory job in Seattle, i could see Arbuckle joining staff there.

Sweeping changes in White Sox's minor league system

The revamping of the White Sox's farm system involves the hiring of former major league slugger Chris Chambliss and re-hiring of former hitting coach Gary Ward.

The system-wide changes, which started last summer, were announced Monday by Buddy Bell, the director of minor league instruction.

Chambliss, 59, takes over as manager at Triple-A Charlotte, replacing Marc Bombard. Chambliss, a 16-year major-league veteran, served last season as hitting coach at Triple-A Richmond.

Chambliss managed in the Detroit system nearly 20 years ago and was a major league hitting coach for the New York Yankees, Mets and Cincinnati. Chambliss interviewed for the Arizona managerial job that went to Bob Brenly after the 2000 season.

Ward, the Sox's hitting coach for two years before he was replaced by Greg Walker, will join Chambliss' staff in a similar capacity.

Ever Magallanes left the Los Angeles Angels' organization to join the White Sox as their Double-A manager at Birmingham. Magallanes, 42, was the Arizona League manager of the year in 2006, directed Class-A Cedar Rapids to the 2007 Midwest League title and managed at Class-A Rancho Cuamonga of the California League last summer.

Magallanes replaces Carlos Subero, who is now the Class-A manager for the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Inland Empire affiliate in the California League.

The new managers at the Class-A levels are Joe McEwing (Winston-Salem) and Ernie Young (Kannapolis). Ryan Newman left the Detroit organization to become the manager at Advanced Rookie-Bristol.

McEwing was the Sox's hitting coach at Charlotte last year.

Former Cincinnati second baseman Ron Oester joins the Sox’s organization as its infield instructor. Oester takes over for Manny Trillo, who will become the organization’s bunting/base running coordinator.

Former Bristol manager Bobby Thigpen takes over as pitching coach at Winston-Salem. Hitting coaches Greg Briley (Winston-Salem) and Omedo Saenz (Advanced Rookie-Great Falls) are joining the Sox’s organization for the first time.

Saenz will assist manager Chris Cron, who steered Great Falls to the 2008 Pioneer League title.

Bombard, Subero and Winston-Salem manager Tim Blackwell were informed two months ago that they wouldn't be retained. Kannapolis manager Chris Jones was released in July.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
I can still see Chambliss bulling his way thru the crowd on the field after a playoff walk off homer.

He is managerial insurance with a winning backround and Gary Ward waiting in the wings to be hitting coach again.

A player revolt is what caused Ward to get canned in the first place. He won't be the hitting coach for the White Sox again, even if the team is hitting .220 in June. Chambliss on the other hand............................but these are Buddy Bell hires, and he really isn't hiring for potential replacements for the big league team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
but these are Buddy Bell hires, and he really isn't hiring for potential replacements for the big league team.

Candidates to replace big league coaches typically come from within the system.

Chambliss could be a prime candidate to replace Greg Walker... or he could move up if Cora moves on to a managerial job.

I'm deeply disappointed with the dismissals of Carlos Subero, Wes Clements & Tim Blackwell. Clements had the magic touch with some guys in B'ham. Just look at Brandon Allen and Lee Cruz's stats before they were in B'ham and after. Especially Cruz. Subero has the potential to be a big league manager one day. Shame on the White Sox.

Ward, the Sox's hitting coach for two years before he was replaced by Greg Walker, will join Chambliss' staff in a similar capacity.

Ever Magallanes left the Los Angeles Angels' organization to join the White Sox as their Double-A manager at Birmingham. Magallanes, 42, was the Arizona League manager of the year in 2006, directed Class-A Cedar Rapids to the 2007 Midwest League title and managed at Class-A Rancho Cuamonga of the California League last summer.

Magallanes replaces Carlos Subero, who is now the Class-A manager for the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Inland Empire affiliate in the California League.

The new managers at the Class-A levels are Joe McEwing (Winston-Salem) and Ernie Young (Kannapolis). Ryan Newman left the Detroit organization to become the manager at Advanced Rookie-Bristol.

McEwing was the Sox's hitting coach at Charlotte last year.

Former Cincinnati second baseman Ron Oester joins the Sox’s organization as its infield instructor. Oester takes over for Manny Trillo, who will become the organization’s bunting/base running coordinator.

Former Bristol manager Bobby Thigpen takes over as pitching coach at Winston-Salem. Hitting coaches Greg Briley (Winston-Salem) and Omedo Saenz (Advanced Rookie-Great Falls) are joining the Sox’s organization for the first time.

Saenz will assist manager Chris Cron, who steered Great Falls to the 2008 Pioneer League title.

Bombard, Subero and Winston-Salem manager Tim Blackwell were informed two months ago that they wouldn't be retained. Kannapolis manager Chris Jones was released in July.

Well, we've gone through similar situations with Razor Shines and Wally Backman...we have no idea what was going on behind the scenes. There's often a conflict between managers' desires to win/build their resumes and their willingness to develop/incubate talent. This is especially true in organizations that our rebuilding their minor league systems or don't have a winning tradition at the major league level (like TB before this year).

What I was struck by was how many former White Sox connections there are:

Bobby Thigpen

Omedo Saenz (what next, Eddie Pearson or Mario Valdez?)

Ernie Young was in our system a couple of years ago...once an A's prospect

Ever Magallanes

McEwing...if there was EVER a grinder in MLB, he's the definition, a little of his attitude couldn't hurt, he was once LaRussa's favorite player

I think it's a good thing we are getting some more Hispanic instructors...now, hopefully, we'll actually get some more talent from the Dominican and Venezuela. The results have been mixed so far with Silverio and Jose Martinez, I won't even mention Anderson Gomes, an internet legend who never was, kind of like Toe Nash.

Agree Ward will never set foot in Chicago again while KW is around. This was a Bell decision 100%, although I am sure KW was notified and could have nixed it...Chambliss brings a lot of experience, and he could be waiting in the wings to replace Walker if the team goes in the tank offensively again.

Edited by caulfield12