Bell: Poreda could be in majors in '09

scenario

Bell: Poreda could be in majors in '09

Notes from Buddy Bell's teleconference today...

"Poreda is further along than Beckham for the big leagues, there's no doubt about that," Bell said. "Poreda has a real good chance to be in the big leagues at some point next year."

The 6-foot-6 left-hander, who turned 22 on Oct. 1, finished a combined 2008 season at Class A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham with an 8-9 record and 3.13 ERA over 27 total starts. He fanned 118, walked 40 and yielded just 148 hits over 161 innings.

While pitching for the Peoria Saguaros during Arizona Fall League action, Poreda has made seven scoreless relief appearances and has struck out 11 in seven innings. Working in the rotation as the team's fifth starter or out of the bullpen as a second lefty-hander appear as Spring Training possibilities for Poreda at the next level, depending on how his secondary stuff develops, or he could make an impact later in the season.

"It's not quite as good as it's going to be," said Bell of Poreda's secondary pitches, falling behind his high-octane fastball. "But with the coaching situation involving [White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper] and Ozzie's patience with young guys, he could develop those secondary pitches in the big leagues.

"At the very worst, he has a chance to make the bullpen. He just has a great arm."

He also has comments about Beckham and Danks in the article.

I'm going to give credit to flash_tizzle here. I remember when we drafted him, everyone was pretty mad at skipping porcello and rightfully so but also calling poreda a crappy pick (he didn't have great stats, that's for sure). But FT said, even though passing on Porcello was a mistake, that these were the types of draft picks we should be making, people that have the stuff but need to develop as opposed to these safe picks like MacCullough and Broadway. Kudos.

Is this guy a Matt Thornton type? Good live fastball with average to below secondary stuff? I think Thornton was a starter with the Mariners before the bullpen did him good. Hope the same isn't for big Aaron. I'd like to see him starting. Same body too, in terms of heigh 6'6 and weight 220-240. I don't think we would want two similar pitchers in the bullpen especially if neither is the closer

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
Is this guy a Matt Thornton type? Good live fastball with average to below secondary stuff? I think Thornton was a starter with the Mariners before the bullpen did him good. Hope the same isn't for big Aaron. I'd like to see him starting. Same body too, in terms of heigh 6'6 and weight 220-240. I don't think we would want two similar pitchers in the bullpen especially if neither is the closer

Thornton had no control of his stuff as a starter, and he only has really two respectable pitches. He's worked out magnificently as a reliever, and these scenarios aren't really that similar at this point in time. Thornton was a bust of a prospect who was out of options, while Poreda was drafted less than 2 years ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
So out of curiousity, I know that the old story goes that you really can't throw both a curve and a slider. Does anyone know if the cutter is compatable with the slider? Any chance of Poreda picking up the cutter to go with his pitches?

Im sure this is a possiblitlity. Having a mid to upper ninties fastball and a low to mid ninetie cutter would greatly help his effectiveness. It would be compatible because it would used in situations. Being able to throw sliders away from lefties and cutters in on righties would be very effective in my opinion, especially with the movement he gets on a good fastball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
So out of curiousity, I know that the old story goes that you really can't throw both a curve and a slider. Does anyone know if the cutter is compatable with the slider? Any chance of Poreda picking up the cutter to go with his pitches?

If I had to choose a repertoire for Poreda, it would be fastball, slider, and change. Period.

I wouldn't even mess around with other pitches. Keep it simple. (Besides, guys who have 97+mph fastballs don't need much more than a good changeup to get people out.)

Learn to command all three of those three pitches and he'll be very effective as a starter.

One or two and he's a reliever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
So, after re-reading this, did anyone else think "Ok, we need to build up Poreda's trade value. Buddy, you want to handle this one?"

I read it this way as well. Seems that Kenny is trying to boost Poreda's trade value as he could in fact be the one being shopped. The sox already have two lefties in the rotation who will be around for a while, and another one who looked pretty decent in September in Richard. It's odd enough to have three lefties in a rotation, and I never have heard of having four. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if Poreda was a fifth starter next year, but I would be if it was for the sox.

QUOTE (dww879 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
I read it this way as well. Seems that Kenny is trying to boost Poreda's trade value as he could in fact be the one being shopped. The sox already have two lefties in the rotation who will be around for a while, and another one who looked pretty decent in September in Richard. It's odd enough to have three lefties in a rotation, and I never have heard of having four. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if Poreda was a fifth starter next year, but I would be if it was for the sox.

I don't think Clayton Richard and Poreda are comparable in any way in the front office's minds...we can't keep trading away our best prospects and not face a penalty with our payroll. Some of these young, pre-arbitration players (Anderson, Fields, Getz, Nix, Owens, Richard, Poreda, Broadway) have to start making a positive impact for the Sox. We got relatively lucky with Quentin, Alexei, Danks and Floyd, but we can't count on some many question marks breaking in a positive fashion every year. KW knows this as well as anyone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
I'm going to give credit to flash_tizzle here. I remember when we drafted him, everyone was pretty mad at skipping porcello and rightfully so but also calling poreda a crappy pick (he didn't have great stats, that's for sure). But FT said, even though passing on Porcello was a mistake, that these were the types of draft picks we should be making, people that have the stuff but need to develop as opposed to these safe picks like MacCullough and Broadway. Kudos.

I'm used to people calling me out for past predictions/tirades, but rarely anything resembling a compliment. I don't even know how to react. :D

I wasted a lot of time browsing through draft picks and profiles before the 2007 draft. I recall hoping Michael Main would fall, or if he wasn't available, we'd select Josh Smoker or Nevin Griffith. Here's how these three have fared:

Smoker: In five starts this season was hit around in A level

Griffith: Obviously has health and control issues, but when he was on the mound he fared well. Even if he is a career minor leaguer, it can't be viewed as a wasted pick when you compare it to previous second round selections. Griffith still has potential.

Main: Has done fairly well. I recall there were issues with him developing secondary pitches prior to the draft. Still don't know if he has developed them, since it's likely he's blowing by A level hitters with his high 90's fastball.

Poreda is the furthest along of these three. As of now, considering our draft position was in the mid 20's, it was a great pick. I wasn't even aware, until browsing through baseball cube, of the rate his strikeout numbers rose upon promotion to AA. That's very encouraging. However, what's strange to me is Buddy Bell's quote:

"It's not quite as good as it's going to be," said Bell of Poreda's secondary pitches, falling behind his high-octane fastball. "But with the coaching situation involving [White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper] and Ozzie's patience with young guys, he could develop those secondary pitches in the big leagues.

Hey Bell, the purpose of our minor league system is for Poreda to develop secondary pitches before he reaches the majors. It almost comes off as "we know there's little we can do right now to change him, so we're hoping Cooper fixes him." At this point in his White Sox career, after 35 minor league starts, either he has it or he doesn't. I believe he would be a great candidate to trade if they internally believe he'll end up as nothing more than Matt Thornton redux. Which isn't bad, but he has value right now as a hard throwing starter. Personally, it wouldn't matter either way to me because either we'll selling Poreda high; or keeping him to develop into a bullpen arm/starter. It's a good position to be in.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
I don't think Clayton Richard and Poreda are comparable in any way in the front office's minds...we can't keep trading away our best prospects and not face a penalty with our payroll. Some of these young, pre-arbitration players (Anderson, Fields, Getz, Nix, Owens, Richard, Poreda, Broadway) have to start making a positive impact for the Sox. We got relatively lucky with Quentin, Alexei, Danks and Floyd, but we can't count on some many question marks breaking in a positive fashion every year. KW knows this as well as anyone.

I obviously agree that Richard and Poreda are completely different situations. Poreda appears to be touted as a top of the rotation type pitcher while if Richard could someday be a solid 4 or 5 it would be fantastic. Obviously Poreda has more value and is viewed much differently than Richard. However, with two lefties in the rotation already it seems unlikely that both these guys would ever be in the rotation at the same time atleast for the next 3 years. It is very likely that one of them could be traded and more likely that Poreda would because he has much greater trade value. It seems likely that Poreda will be traded and thus I think Kenny is merrily attempting to improve his value. Think of all the top prospects the sox have had in the last few years that have been traded, Sweeney, Young, Reed just to name a few.

QUOTE (dww879 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I obviously agree that Richard and Poreda are completely different situations. Poreda appears to be touted as a top of the rotation type pitcher while if Richard could someday be a solid 4 or 5 it would be fantastic. Obviously Poreda has more value and is viewed much differently than Richard. However, with two lefties in the rotation already it seems unlikely that both these guys would ever be in the rotation at the same time atleast for the next 3 years. It is very likely that one of them could be traded and more likely that Poreda would because he has much greater trade value. It seems likely that Poreda will be traded and thus I think Kenny is merrily attempting to improve his value. Think of all the top prospects the sox have had in the last few years that have been traded, Sweeney, Young, Reed just to name a few.

But you know what? Out of guys drafted since 2003, KW has yet to trade away any of his #1 picks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Poreda has done pretty well but temper the expectations. He lasted 2/3 of an inning in the AFL last night giving up 5 runs.

HE MUST NOT HAVE A BAD GAME EVAR!!!!

I think people on this site are pretty realistic about what he could be for us.