Brian Anderson and Brad Penny at club

chisox2334

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Good to see that he is working hard in the off-season.

Ummm...its the first week in November and outside of the all-star break, these guys don't get a vacation (yes, I know they get an off-season but according to you they should be punching the clock year round). These guys do go out during the season too so what's to say, BA didn't spend 15 hours in the cage or batting against some Brad Penny fastballs before hitting the town.

Besides, it actually looked like BA was calm and defusing the situation before it escalated...spouting off about some 95 or 96 Mercedes...are those vintage or something?

Why don't the Sox just start Anderson in cf next season? That was a pretty nice catch he had to win the Twins' game. Let him play. See what he's got over 600 at bats. He can't hit any worse that f***ing Swisher.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (heirdog @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Ummm...its the first week in November and outside of the all-star break, these guys don't get a vacation (yes, I know they get an off-season but according to you they should be punching the clock year round). These guys do go out during the season too so what's to say, BA didn't spend 15 hours in the cage or batting against some Brad Penny fastballs before hitting the town.

Besides, it actually looked like BA was calm and defusing the situation before it escalated...spouting off about some 95 or 96 Mercedes...are those vintage or something?

I was just joking. I'm sure the Sox know if he is a hard worker or a guy who would rather hit the town.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)

So what if he didn't. He's an adult and capable of going out for a night with friends. Good grief... if it was up to some these poor guys would be living the life of a monk.

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
So what if he didn't. He's an adult and capable of going out for a night with friends. Good grief... if it was up to some these poor guys would be living the life of a monk.

The "Don't Stop Believin'" stuff started when Crede, Rowand, and Pierzynski were at a bar late night during the 4 game series in Baltimore.

The idea that Anderson can be a plus hitter is still conjecture. When given (nearly) a full years of at bats he failed miserably, when given a specific assignment (hit lefties) he did decently. Swisher, however, had demonstrated throughout his entire career (HS, Collegiate, Minors, Majors) that he is able to hit for plus-power, while demonstrating tremendous plate discipline. His defense, while not of Gold Glove caliber, has never been anything less then completely acceptable when packaged with his skills at the plate. Swisher’s last year was by every single account a statistical aberration, or in layman’s terms a down year. Assuming that Swisher hasn’t regressed permanent (And at his age this would be fascinating if true) I have every expectation of him to reverse this trend, and keep hitting back to his former statiscal levels.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
How can he be a good deal worse than Swisher, Thunderbolt? Even if he doesn't hit

(which he will) he will be rock solid defensively, unlike Swisher.

He would get on base at less than a Juan Uribe pace, and Swish is rock solid at his actual position-1B

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
How can he be a good deal worse than Swisher, Thunderbolt? Even if he doesn't hit

(which he will) he will be rock solid defensively, unlike Swisher.

I love that BA "will hit" for sure....but swisher won't? Swish proved he can hit alread, BA hasn't.

I want both of them on the team starting, but to assume Swish is washed up and BA is going to be the next KGJ is stupid.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
The idea that Anderson can be a plus hitter is still conjecture. When given (nearly) a full years of at bats he failed miserably, when given a specific assignment (hit lefties) he did decently. Swisher, however, had demonstrated throughout his entire career (HS, Collegiate, Minors, Majors) that he is able to hit for plus-power, while demonstrating tremendous plate discipline. His defense, while not of Gold Glove caliber, has never been anything less then completely acceptable when packaged with his skills at the plate. Swisher’s last year was by every single account a statistical aberration, or in layman’s terms a down year. Assuming that Swisher hasn’t regressed permanent (And at his age this would be fascinating if true) I have every expectation of him to reverse this trend, and keep hitting back to his former statiscal levels.

You don't consider at all the strong possibility that Swisher was on steroids.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
No one from Oakland should get a free pass.

The last Oakland A to be nailed for roids was Tejada, and Tejada left after 2004. Swish only played 20 games with the club that year. Unless, we're assuming that the drug use is organizational wide rather then an offshoot of the Canseco era then that's a pretty strong statement.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
No one from Oakland should get a free pass.

The last Oakland A to be nailed for roids was Tejada, and Tejada left after 2004. Swish only played 20 games with the club that year. Unless, we're assuming that the drug use is organizational wide rather then an offshoot of the Canseco era then that's a pretty strong statement.

He would get on base at less than a Juan Uribe pace, and Swish is rock solid at his actual position-1B

I love the fact we NEVER think a guy can blossom on our team? How do you know he can't emerge?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)

Wait...I am in agreement with you Steff. That was the whole point I was making. I was also saying for those that think these guys should live the life of a monk, that we don't know if in fact, he is still working hard and also going out, which is completely fine and I think therapeutic after a long season.