Jeter worst defensive IF in baseball

southsider2k5

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/...351?eref=sircrc

A group that tracks every ball hit in the majors says Derek Jeter is the worst fielder in baseball. Stats guru Bill James, author of the "Baseball Abstract," and a panel of nine other voters, ranked Jeter 22nd among all major-league shortstops, with one calling Jeter "the least effective defensive player in the major leagues, at any position." Jeter received one 10th-place vote in balloting for the 2008 Fielding Bible Awards, announced yesterday. One panel member comes from Baseball Info Solutions (BIS), a group that ... well, just say they do their research. "They watched film of every major-league game, and had recorded every ball off the bat by the direction in which it was hit [the vector], the type of hit [groundball, flyball, line-drive, popup, etc.] and by how hard the ball was hit [softly hit, medium, hard hit]," according to James.

Its so hard trying to explain this to all of my yankee friends who are in love with the guy. It was a joke he ever won a GG. That ballerina hop he does is b/c he HAS to due to his lack of range. That "best catch ever" the media awards him when he made diving into the stands wouldnt have been necessary if he had better range. This isnt diminshing him as a player at all, which they accuse me of, its a statement of fact that he is a mediocre defensive SS.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
Yep, if baseball ever went to a platoon system, like football, he'd probably never play the field.

Not a chance in hell. As long as his name is Derek Jeter he'll be out there in the field doesn't matter if he's the worst shortstop in the game or even crippled they would never "disrespect" the great Derek Jeter by insulting is defensive abilities. If the Yankees viewed Derek Jeter the same way the rest of us do then he would have moved to 3B or 2B when the Yanks acquired A-Rod seeing as how Rodriguez was the vastly superior defensive player at the time of the acquisition.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
Not a chance in hell. As long as his name is Derek Jeter he'll be out there in the field doesn't matter if he's the worst shortstop in the game or even crippled they would never "disrespect" the great Derek Jeter by insulting is defensive abilities. If the Yankees viewed Derek Jeter the same way the rest of us do then he would have moved to 3B or 2B when the Yanks acquired A-Rod seeing as how Rodriguez was the vastly superior defensive player at the time of the acquisition.

Exactly right.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
I don't agree with him being the worse defensive IF. He obviously isn't gold glove worthy but I think I have him somewhere in the middle of the pack defensively. But like Ive said b4 when it comes to defense I always use my eyes over stats which just cant be measured effectively.

So you saw enough of every starting SS in baseball last season that you can rank them all defensively? Really?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
He may be extremely overrated, but he cannot be the worst. And he's still an awesome hitter.

I am not surprised he is the worst and his .771 ops last year does not really translate to an awesome hitter. Meanwhile, Arod and his .965 Ops gets the Rex Grossman treatment and is booed on a nightly basis.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
I am not surprised he is the worst and his .771 ops last year does not really translate to an awesome hitter. Meanwhile, Arod and his .965 Ops gets the Rex Grossman treatment and is booed on a nightly basis.

ugh, hes an amazing hitter. He had a below avg year for him and still hit .300 with a .363 OBP. He's a top of the order guy, his slg doesnt mean much, so OPS is next to useless. Even so, his career avg OPS is .845 which is pretty damn nice.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Well , I use my eyes instead of looking at ERAs. I tell you what, David Aardsma should win CY young every year.

That is totally different than looking at defensive stats. And no I didnt watch every shortstop 100 games or whatever this season. But over the years Ive seen enough of guys like Jeter to make an accurate judgement of their defensive abilities. Unless Jeter was dramatically worse this season I can think of a few SS's who are worse fielders in my opinion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
ugh, hes an amazing hitter. He had a below avg year for him and still hit .300 with a .363 OBP. He's a top of the order guy, his slg doesnt mean much, so OPS is next to useless. Even so, his career avg OPS is .845 which is pretty damn nice.

Huh? OPS is not useless no matter where you hit in the order. Run production is run production. Jeter's a good hitter, but he's definitely declining.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
No doubt that Jeter is vastly overrated defensively, but I just can't accept that the he's the worst there is. Did D'Angelo Jimenez and Jose Valentin both retire?

I'm sure this was done last year. Beyond that, Jose Valentin was a far superior defensive SS to Jeter and most SS's in general. He made errors in the field but he covered ground at SS as well as anyone.