ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:12 AM)
2) I'm sorry, but if you cried when Obama was announced as the victor and you weren't on his immediate staff or a family member, that's just ridiculous. All those people crying looked like fools at the Obama rally.

You obviously don't understand the context of this in history. But go ahead and call me a fool because I had tears going down my face at the rally last night.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not support our new president elect, nor did I vote for him. That being said, now that he has been elected I personally hope he goes down in history as one of our greatest presidents.

I'll even go so far as to congradulate all you happy Obama-ites out there. America spoke, I'll listen and I'll give the man a fair shot.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
I did not support our new president elect, nor did I vote for him. That being said, now that he has been elected I personally hope he goes down in history as one of our greatest presidents.

I'll even go so far as to congradulate all you happy Obama-ites out there. America spoke, I'll listen and I'll give the man a fair shot.

He deserves that much; even though GWB didn't get that same fair shake because of the bitterness of 2000.

With that said, this is much more clear - and I sure hope Obama isn't dumb enough to take everything left. I hope he ends up more like Clinton - campaign to the moonbats and ends up being more of a centrist.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
He deserves that much; even though GWB didn't get that same fair shake because of the bitterness of 2000.

With that said, this is much more clear - and I sure hope Obama isn't dumb enough to take everything left. I hope he ends up more like Clinton - campaign to the moonbats and ends up being more of a centrist.

And 2004.

I really hope he does govern from the center. I'll be honest when I say he scares the s*** out of me even more now. There is pretty much nothing I agree with him on. Looking back through history, many of our biggest problems came out of rash political decisions made during crisis's such as the New Deal. Today in the 21st century, we are on the verge of economic collapse becuase of many of those programs and laws. I really hope he sees through the politics to do what is right for not only today, but for 100 years down the road.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:12 AM)
Just want to make a couple points...

2) I'm sorry, but if you cried when Obama was announced as the victor and you weren't on his immediate staff or a family member, that's just ridiculous. All those people crying looked like fools at the Obama rally. I would never have cried if McCain was elected. I understand being happy, but tears of joy are over the top.

Not really. There are alot of things that his election means for the country, and I think world opinion on it says it best, we proved why the USA is the leader of the world and that the American dream is still alive.

So about last night...

We got to Grant Park at 5PM last night and waited in a long line behind some barricades. I think it was about 6PM when they opened up the barricades to allow people to continue to the security section. You first went through an area where they checked peoples bags and purses. They you had to wait in another line to go through the metal detectors. That whole process took about 45 minutes from start to finish. Once we walked into Hutchinson field it was amazing to see how many people were already there before us. It was a sea of people. You could see large American flags scattered throughout the crowd, waving gently. The crowd was incredibly diverse but there was definitely a very strong contingent of 20 and 30 somethings. The lines for the food and beverage vendors were not too bad. Connie's pizza was selected as the vendor for the event. I noticed along the south side of the field the media tents. There were many separate tents for all the various networks and one huge tent with hundreds of camera people. We were able to secure a spot to about halfway in the middle of the park in front of a large camera crane for CNN. Hutchinson had 3 large screens with the CNN feed so the crowd would go nuts after each state awarded to Obama. Everyone was so friendly near us. People were all discussing the state of the race as well as the race for the House and Senate seats. And then we heard PA was called for Obama. People were ecstatic. A little later on Ohio was called for Obama and we all pretty much knew it was over. But it wasn't until 10PM when the west coast polls closed that they announced that Obama had secured the 270 EVs needed. The crowd exploded with cheers. Everyone went ballistic and started cheering and hugging each other. I gave my wife a huge hug and a kiss and we both had tears in our eyes as did many people around us. Chants of "Obama" started up and euphoria reached across the sea of bodies. It was a moment I would never forget. It was a little while until Barack came to the podium to speak but we all were treated to McCain's gracious and eloquent concession speech where most of the crowd cheered him for his kind words. Once Barack appeared on stage the crowd erupted once again. We all listened closely and snapped pictures as he spoke and were treated to a wonderful speech.

Surprisingly the crowd dissipated rather quickly and effortlessly and there didn't seem to be any trouble in or outside the park. Kudos to everyone for a peaceful night. It was fun to walk back to the train alongside thousands of friends and neighbors who were all a part of history.

Hopefully I'll have pictures posted soon. My camera sucks but my friend brought his nice SLR.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
So about last night...

We got to Grant Park at 5PM last night and waited in a long line behind some barricades. I think it was about 6PM when they opened up the barricades to allow people to continue to the security section. You first went through an area where they checked peoples bags and purses. They you had to wait in another line to go through the metal detectors. That whole process took about 45 minutes from start to finish. Once we walked into Hutchinson field it was amazing to see how many people were already there before us. It was a sea of people. You could see large American flags scattered throughout the crowd, waving gently. The crowd was incredibly diverse but there was definitely a very strong contingent of 20 and 30 somethings. The lines for the food and beverage vendors were not too bad. Connie's pizza was selected as the vendor for the event. I noticed along the south side of the field the media tents. There were many separate tents for all the various networks and one huge tent with hundreds of camera people. We were able to secure a spot to about halfway in the middle of the park in front of a large camera crane for CNN. Hutchinson had 3 large screens with the CNN feed so the crowd would go nuts after each state awarded to Obama. Everyone was so friendly near us. People were all discussing the state of the race as well as the race for the House and Senate seats. And then we heard PA was called for Obama. People were ecstatic. A little later on Ohio was called for Obama and we all pretty much knew it was over. But it wasn't until 10PM when the west coast polls closed that they announced that Obama had secured the 270 EVs needed. The crowd exploded with cheers. Everyone went ballistic and started cheering and hugging each other. I gave my wife a huge hug and a kiss and we both had tears in our eyes as did many people around us. Chants of "Obama" started up and euphoria reached across the sea of bodies. It was a moment I would never forget. It was a little while until Barack came to the podium to speak but we all were treated to McCain's gracious and eloquent concession speech where most of the crowd cheered him for his kind words. Once Barack appeared on stage the crowd erupted once again. We all listened closely and snapped pictures as he spoke and were treated to a wonderful speech.

Surprisingly the crowd dissipated rather quickly and effortlessly and there didn't seem to be any trouble in or outside the park. Kudos to everyone for a peaceful night. It was fun to walk back to the train alongside thousands of friends and neighbors who were all a part of history.

Hopefully I'll have pictures posted soon. My camera sucks but my friend brought his nice SLR.

When you work so hard for something, it's very rewarding to see it all come to fruition. You were one of the few that put their money where their mouths are, so to speak, because you actually worked to get your guy elected. I'm glad you got to share the moment.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
Congrats to those of you who this meant so much to.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)

Thanks a lot guys. Honestly. I'm wasn't a full-stop Obama supporter who agrees with everything he says and does nor am I an uber-liberal but I did support and vote for him, and it means a lot to see conservatives being gracious and giving him a fair shot even though I'm sure you guys, naturally, are upset your guy lost. For far too long we've been bitterly divided, it's a recent thing too. I hope we can bury it and start respectfully disagreeing in this country again.

Some of my very good friends right now (to include my brother who I haven't called yet) are being bitter and obnoxious and it's starting to annoy me. One guy I had to flat-out ask if he believed in democracy or not.

As the resident vegan of Soxtalk I am ecstatic to see Prop 2 pass in California (Voters in California approved an historic ballot measure to halt the inhumane confinement of animals on factory farms by an overwhelming margin) and Question 3 pass in Massachusetts (banning Greyhound racing).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
As the resident vegan of Soxtalk I am ecstatic to see Prop 2 pass in California (Voters in California approved an historic ballot measure to halt the inhumane confinement of animals on factory farms by an overwhelming margin) and Question 3 pass in Massachusetts (banning Greyhound racing).

hmmm... i didnt know about those. great to hear.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)

As a Vegan myself I was pleased to see this. I'd like to see more things like this.

Not so pleased with the prop 8 results though. We still have a ways to go.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
Not so pleased with the prop 8 results though. We still have a ways to go.

No doubt. Definitely a disappointment.

And I never knew a fellow vegan was among us. We'll have to grab a seitan sandwich and a pint one day.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
No doubt. Definitely a disappointment.

And I never knew a fellow vegan was among us. We'll have to grab a seitan sandwich and a pint one day.

seitan is a gift from the gods of food.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
You obviously don't understand the context of this in history. But go ahead and call me a fool because I had tears going down my face at the rally last night.

I do understand the context of this in history. Hell, just 20 years ago if you had told a black man he could have been president, I don't think he would have believed you, which shows just how far we have come. Maybe I should have been more clear in that the people I'm referring to are the 30ish-looking white guys that were hugging/teary-eyed after Obama was announced as the winner, or the young white woman (maybe late 20's) that was crying as well. What are those people crying for? And that goes the same for if McCain won b/c I'm sure there would have been the same type of people crying, and I would have called them out for it too... As much as I dislike Jesse Jackson, I can understand why he or any middle-age or older black man would be so emotional - they lived through a period of awful hatred/racism in the country, so this is a great thing for them and a continued step in the right direction for race relations in this country. By the way, I shouldn't have said "fool" b/c that's harsh and I didn't really mean to insult you, but I still think it's over the top for a lot of those people they showed crying to be crying.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I do understand the context of this in history. Hell, just 20 years ago if you had told a black man he could have been president, I don't think he would have believed you, which shows just how far we have come. Maybe I should have been more clear in that the people I'm referring to are the 30ish-looking white guys that were hugging/teary-eyed after Obama was announced as the winner, or the young white woman (maybe late 20's) that was crying as well. What are those people crying for? And that goes the same for if McCain won b/c I'm sure there would have been the same type of people crying, and I would have called them out for it too... As much as I dislike Jesse Jackson, I can understand why he or any middle-age or older black man would be so emotional - they lived through a period of awful hatred/racism in the country, so this is a great thing for them and a continued step in the right direction for race relations in this country. By the way, I shouldn't have said "fool" b/c that's harsh and I didn't really mean to insult you, but I still think it's over the top for a lot of those people they showed crying to be crying.

I'm sure you were equally appalled at the 23 year old white guy who cried when the Sox won it all.