ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS

Rex Kickass

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
The vote total difference between Obama and McCain now exceeds that of Bush's victory over Dukakis in 1988 when Bush won roughly 440 electoral votes if I'm not mistaken.

Bush - 48,886,597

Dukakis - 41,809,476

Difference - 7,077,121

Obama - 63,378,953

McCain - 56,035,435

Difference - 7,343,518

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
What's the latest on Begich/Stevens (I cant believe this is close), Merkley/Smith and Coleman/Franken? I know Franken has pulled ahead and Chambliss/Martin is going to a run off.

Franken/Coleman will not be decided for over a month. Anything under 15000 votes requires a recount, and it's going to be a few hundred either way. Norm Coleman is already on TV saying this election is too important to have a recount.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
Franken/Coleman will not be decided for over a month. Anything under 15000 votes requires a recount, and it's going to be a few hundred either way. Norm Coleman is already on TV saying this election is too important to have a recount.

We won't know Begich/Stevens for up to two weeks because the margin is 3500 and there are 64000 absentee ballots to count and those take a while apparently.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I do understand the context of this in history. Hell, just 20 years ago if you had told a black man he could have been president, I don't think he would have believed you, which shows just how far we have come. Maybe I should have been more clear in that the people I'm referring to are the 30ish-looking white guys that were hugging/teary-eyed after Obama was announced as the winner, or the young white woman (maybe late 20's) that was crying as well. What are those people crying for? And that goes the same for if McCain won b/c I'm sure there would have been the same type of people crying, and I would have called them out for it too... As much as I dislike Jesse Jackson, I can understand why he or any middle-age or older black man would be so emotional - they lived through a period of awful hatred/racism in the country, so this is a great thing for them and a continued step in the right direction for race relations in this country. By the way, I shouldn't have said "fool" b/c that's harsh and I didn't really mean to insult you, but I still think it's over the top for a lot of those people they showed crying to be crying.

Crying because of human rights, because of how far their country had come. Why do you have to be black to appreciate the historical significance of Obama getting elected? There are plenty of non-african americans that have worked hard for equal rights, worked hard for change, and were overjoyed at seeing their efforts at least somewhat realized. I think you are being VERY short sighted here. It shouldnt be an "us" or "them" view.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
I'm sure you were equally appalled at the 23 year old white guy who cried when the Sox won it all.

Or the 32 year old who was mortified when her mug was flashed on Fox with tears streaming down her face before game 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
For a fascinating trend...here's an NYT map breakdown by county of which areas of the country Senator McCain outperformed President Bush's 2004 numbers.

mccain.jpg

Make your own assumptions about what drove this effect.

I heard somebody on CNN the other day saying that he was more worried about the "Bradley effect" in the industrial areas of the rust belt north such as Ohio and Pennsylvania because "the south has addressed it's racial demons while the north hasn't." Talk about a stupid comment, you have one right there. I wish I could remember who said it to give them their full credit. But yeah, that map really doesn't surprise me at all, although I'm sure the "gun toting, bible holding" comment or whatever it was Obama said didn't help him in those areas.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
I'm sure you were equally appalled at the 23 year old white guy who cried when the Sox won it all.

Eh, not really. We'll just have to agree to disagree 'cause there's no changing my opinion. Even my buddy (who's black) who I watched the coverage with last night thought the random people crying was a little over the top, but whatever...

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
Eh, not really. We'll just have to agree to disagree 'cause there's no changing my opinion. Even my buddy (who's black) who I watched the coverage with last night thought the random people crying was a little over the top, but whatever...

Damn those emotional people who truly care about the direction this country is taking.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Damn those emotional people who truly care about the direction this country is taking.

That's not really what I was saying, but okay... Take my words out of context. It's not like I'm saying "f*** those people!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
For a fascinating trend...here's an NYT map breakdown by county of which areas of the country Senator McCain outperformed President Bush's 2004 numbers.

mccain.jpg

Make your own assumptions about what drove this effect.

That is as big a piece of slam dunk data as you're ever going to get.

I'll congratulate Obama, and hope he does a good job as president. Even though I didn't vote for him, America is what is most important, and if he can improve America, then he's gone a good job. I hope he doesn't forget about Iowa being the first to vote for him and set the table for his campaign as president. What I hope I don't hear too much is the race factor when he's president. Yes it's an accomplishment, but I would hope everyone could look at anyone as a person and not with their skin color. Good luck future president Obama, maybe he can prove the 47% who didn't vote for him wrong.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
That's not really what I was saying, but okay... Take my words out of context. It's not like I'm saying "f*** those people!"

No you're not, but your mocking them for getting emotional and crying. Are you surprised - with all the effort and work several Dem's put into this election - that you're getting this response?

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
No you're not, but your mocking them for getting emotional and crying. Are you surprised - with all the effort and work several Dem's put into this election - that you're getting this response?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised... Especially on a Chicago-based message board where, of course, the majority of posters are democrats.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)

No, but you ARE saying that only old black people can be emotionally moved by the significance of the election which is downright short sighted.

And im not a Democrat.

Edited by RockRaines