ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS

Rex Kickass

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
My little brother's really hurt!

Was he an Obama supporter or a McCain supporter?

What does that matter?

I need to know if he partied too hard, or if he tried to kill himself!

Are you serious?

I LOL'd at most of this article...

"Moderates to blame for GOP losses, conservative leader says"

This guy thinks they need to move further right on social issues. Wow. If guys like this are going to lead the GOP, then they are going to be relegated to being a purely southern party. They can kiss control of either house or the executive goodbye for some time.

Fortunately, I am pretty sure that these FRC-type folks are not in the majority of the GOP leadership any more.

I've heard several people say that so far though and I'm trying to beat it out of some of my friends' heads. They completely miss the point. It's got nothing to do with being moderate or far right, it's about the abandonment of their principles, lack of leadership, and lack of a message that resonates with America.

If they think they can solve their problems by moving further right and posting up against the Obama administration, the Democrats probably welcome that with open arms.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)

This guy thinks they need to move further right on social issues. Wow. If guys like this are going to lead the GOP, then they are going to be relegated to being a purely southern party. They can kiss control of either house or the executive goodbye for some time.

Fortunately, I am pretty sure that these FRC-type folks are not in the majority of the GOP leadership any more.

Well, in a way they are to blame. All their moderates have lost over the last couple elections. The only ones surviving are in deep red districts where there aren't any moderates. Therefore, it's the moderates fault, because they lost.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)

If the GOP keeps going that way, a third party will emerge, I think, that meets the needs of "moderates" (mostly fiscal conservatives, non-isolationist, and social moderates). Personally, I think that the GOP will undergo a fundamental change in leadership.

These guys are arguing along the same lines.

GOP needs to go bigger government and stronger social conservatism.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/..._new_party.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152008/posto...arty_115606.htm

LOL. Sure, if you want to give the Dem's a ridiculous majority in Congress.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
These guys are arguing along the same lines.

GOP needs to go bigger government and stronger social conservatism.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/..._new_party.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152008/posto...arty_115606.htm

LOL. Sure, if you want to give the Dem's a ridiculous majority in Congress.

Ugh.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)

The blame that Limbaugh and all those other fools are putting on the moderates is asinine. Right leaning moderates (like me) are DISGUSTED with the GOP right now (and I am not just speaking for myself here, I know others like me that agree). The GOP got it's ass kicked this year and has had problems the last few years because George W. Bush has been an awful president, and the right wing loonies like Limbaugh continue to try and take over the party.

In fact, I think John McCain (the "moderate" GOP nominee) doomed himself when he tried to appeal to the right wing part of the party, most noteably by picking Sarah Palin as his VP. If the GOP wants to make a comeback, it needs to start by being more willing to compromise on social issues in order to appeal to a wider base (which would probably anger a lot of the looney right, but I really don't care) and go back to being the fiscally responsible party who tries to shrink the government.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
The blame that Limbaugh and all those other fools are putting on the moderates is asinine. Right leaning moderates (like me) are DISGUSTED with the GOP right now (and I am not just speaking for myself here, I know others like me that agree). The GOP got it's ass kicked this year and has had problems the last few years because George W. Bush has been an awful president, and the right wing loonies like Limbaugh continue to try and take over the party.

In fact, I think John McCain (the "moderate" GOP nominee) doomed himself when he tried to appeal to the right wing part of the party, most noteably by picking Sarah Palin as his VP. If the GOP wants to make a comeback, it needs to start by being more willing to compromise on social issues in order to appeal to a wider base (which would probably anger a lot of the looney right, but I really don't care) and go back to being the fiscally responsible party who tries to shrink the government.

Exactly.

"conservatism" shouldn't equal "morality".

Think I'll stick this here.

Not every single vote is done counting yet, but a large enough majority are that we can start saying which pollsters nailed it and which polling aggregaters did the best work.

Actual appears to be (plus or minus probably a tenth of apercent at this point):

52.6-46.1

The last poll from each pollster missed by:

CNN: 0.5

Ipsos: 0.5

Pew: 0.7

Rasmussen: 0.7

ARG: 1.5

Research 2000: 1.7

ABC: 2.5

IBD: 2.7

Hotline: 3.7

Gallup: 4.5

Zogby: 4.5

Battleground: 5.7

CBS: 5.7

Fox: 5.7

As for the multi-poll people, I'll bet you can guess who did the best.

FiveThirtyEight.com: 52.3 46.2 0.4

Real Clear Politics: 52.1 44.5 2.1

Pollster.com: 52.0 44.4 2.3