"Don't Trade Vazquez" official thread

Paint it Black

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)

If St. Louis offered Rasmus in a deal for Vazquez, that'd be pretty hard to turn down. He's been the Cards' best prospect for quite a while now, and he definitely has the ability to play CF at the MLB level.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
Yep, he's the reason why the Cards have put Ankiel and Ludwick on the market.

I wonder from their sake though, would Rasmus get you more in a deal, and it's not like Ankiel and Ludwick are slouches at the MLB level or anything (of course they could be nothing more than flash in the pans either).

Wow I had no idea how highly rated the kid was.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/colby-rasmus.shtml

Prospect Rankings*

2006 - 2nd ranked organizational prospect for St. Louis Cardinals

2007 - 29th ranked Major League prospect

2007 - 1st ranked organizational prospect for St. Louis Cardinals

2008 - 5th ranked Major League prospect

2008 - 1st ranked organizational prospect for St. Louis Cardinals

*According to Baseball America

I think if the Cards were willing to deal Rasmus for pitching then they'd already have Peavy.

Texas might want to upgrade over Murphy, who is not very good and a product of Arlington, and/or get a DH to replace Byrd. Dye would hit the living s*** out of the ball in Texas. Seriously, he might hit .320-45-140 over there. He's a warm weather guy that loves to turn on the ball, and there would be a lot of screamers hit out of that IF.

Texas also wants a veteran starter who strikes people out. Javy???

They're also in the market for a closer. Bobby???

They've got some nice stuff to include in a package without giving up their top guys like Engle Beltre, Elvis Andrus, and Neftali Feliz or Smoak or Main (s*** they've got a lot on their farm). I'd take a package centered around CF Julio Borbon, SP Eric Hurley, and SP Neil Ramirez for both Dye and Vazquez. Maybe even add a piece and pick up Marlon Byrd for CF in a deal to bridge the gap? Lots of possibilities there.

Also, if the Angels pick up a 3B and look to deal Figgins, I'd be very interested in a Paulie for Figgins + Morales deal if the Sox think Morales could hit like he's supposed to. Morales could thrive here. Figgins would fit for one year in CF, bridging the gap between whatever studly CF prospect we pick up (in my dream world anyway) and supplying us with picks when he leaves. The Sox might have to add something there to make a deal work (if the Angels were even interested that is) but I think Paulie is worth more than Figgins.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
San Diego pitcher Jake Peavy, the Cy Young Award winner currently being dangled in trade talks, initially indicated to the Padres that he would prefer a deal to one of five teams -- Atlanta, St. Louis, the Chicago Cubs, the Los Angeles Dodgers and Houston Astros.

from yahoosports

Not surprisingly that pussy wants nothing to do with the American League.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob

Rob Neyer usually has pretty insightful things to say, and this is no exception. Neyer makes his argument, and I'll make mine short. Name me a better 4th starter, I dare you.

She sure as hell's not getting paid as if she was a fourth starter,I dare you to compare Vazquez salary with other pitchers and then we'll talk...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
She sure as hell's not getting paid as if she was a fourth starter,I dare you to compare Vazquez salary with other pitchers and then we'll talk...

The Sox are also not paying Danks and Floyd like #2 and #3 starters, so the Sox can afford it in Vazquez's case. The Sox better have better options at 4-5 in the rotation than Richard and Marquez if they decide to trade Vazquez. I'm not a big Vazquez fan, but I don't like the current options better than him.

As an aside, there are plenty of examples of pitchers with worse performance getting paid more than Vazquez (see Zito, Barry... Silva, Carlos...etc.)

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
As an aside, there are plenty of examples of pitchers with worse performance getting paid more than Vazquez (see Zito, Barry... Silva, Carlos...etc.)

Just because a $9 hamburger tastes better than a $12 hamburger doesn't mean that there isn't a $4 hambuger that tastes best of all. Kind of an off the wall analogy, but it holds up.

If KW thinks he can get an upgrade in the rotation by trading Vazquez for cheaper, he will.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 02:43 AM)
Just because a $9 hamburger tastes better than a $12 hamburger doesn't mean that there isn't a $4 hambuger that tastes best of all. Kind of an off the wall analogy, but it holds up.

If KW thinks he can get an upgrade in the rotation by trading Vazquez for cheaper, he will.

Vazquez is like that 2 pound hamburger (the bun always gets them) that you can get for free if you actually finish it and don't throw up.

I think it's served at "R Place" along I-80 southwest of the city, where they also have "Chit Chat" Chicken.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 03:43 AM)

I completely agree with you. If the Sox can get the same (or better) production out of a cheaper player, I'm all for it. However, the "he makes too much for a 4th starter" argument, in isolation, does not hold up when you look at the composition of the entire team. In an ideal Sox offseason, I'd drive Vaz to the airport (or pick him up if he gets dealt to ATL), but he's a valuable (though thoroughly disliked) player.

Actually, ATL might be a decent destination for him....