Congressional Elections Results Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
I think that was less ignorance, and more fear and group think.

It was delivered at 11PM the night before the vote. How many even read page 1?

Hell, how many of them read anything they vote for?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)

A lot of bills are like that, which is terrible. Yet another artifact of the problem of the multi-effort bill, which is now so prevalent. A bill should be about one thing, and one thing only.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)

It is true they rely on their staff to digest the bill and earmark any problems with it, but bar the few examples, in general they aren't uninformed about the bill, even if they hadn't read it. Obviously you'd hope the senator isn't completely relying on the Whip, though.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
more than half the Senate has no idea what they vote for

I watched Religulous this past weekend. In Maher's interview with an Arkansas (?) senator, the senator said "Well, you don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate". Seriously.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
They need to get this Franken/Coleman thing sorted out right quick. This is becoming unfair to the people of Minnesota. Trial, investigation, whatever, finish the damn thing off please.

It's been over for well over a month, the last month has just been a formality...which is of course fairly well funded because it extends the time that one party only has 58 Senators.

• 3 weeks later...

With 1 precinct remaining to report, Centrist Democrat Scott Murphy has inched ahead of Republican Jim Tedisco in the race to replace New York's new Junior Senator. The Republican in the race challenged the results in court...before the voting day was finished. The difference is currently less than 100 votes.

This election was being viewed as a referendum on the Republican party in a number of ways. The RNC was heavily involved, and a loss could be a death knell for the man at its head. The election put a well known Republican against a poorly known up the middle Democrat in a Republican district (which had been held by a Democrat and which seems to be moving left despite being gerrymandered to be a Republican seat). The stimulus battle was fought quite heavily up there, and it was probably the key to Murphy coming back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
With 1 precinct remaining to report, Centrist Democrat Scott Murphy has inched ahead of Republican Jim Tedisco in the race to replace New York's new Junior Senator. The Republican in the race challenged the results in court...before the voting day was finished. The difference is currently less than 100 votes.

This election was being viewed as a referendum on the Republican party in a number of ways. The RNC was heavily involved, and a loss could be a death knell for the man at its head. The election put a well known Republican against a poorly known up the middle Democrat in a Republican district (which had been held by a Democrat and which seems to be moving left despite being gerrymandered to be a Republican seat). The stimulus battle was fought quite heavily up there, and it was probably the key to Murphy coming back.

So you're saying that the stimulus bill is that popular (at least in this district?).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
So you're saying that the stimulus bill is that popular (at least in this district?).

That certainly was the debate that gave the unknown the opening. Tedisco refused for about 2 months to say whether or not he would have voted for the package, then finally came out and said he'd have voted against it, and Murphy used that in his ads constantly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
That certainly was the debate that gave the unknown the opening. Tedisco refused for about 2 months to say whether or not he would have voted for the package, then finally came out and said he'd have voted against it, and Murphy used that in his ads constantly.

So let's read into that. People would rather spend trillions and trillions (if you put all the packages together) and not give a rat's ass about how much is spent to "stimulate" the economy? And the GOP loses on this issue?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
So let's read into that. People would rather spend trillions and trillions (if you put all the packages together) and not give a rat's ass about how much is spent to "stimulate" the economy? And the GOP loses on this issue?

There are 2 conclusions that can be drawn here. Either the answer is yes, or no one believes your point of view.

77,344 - Murphy

77,279 - Tedisco

Final #'s with all precincts reporting. May still be some absentee ballots out there, no idea how that district works.

After checking, there are some 5900 absentee ballots outstanding in that district, many of which aren't due in for another week or so. That's nicely up in the air for a while. Plenty of time for Norm Coleman's legal team to become available.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
There are 2 conclusions that can be drawn here. Either the answer is yes, or no one believes your point of view.

77,344 - Murphy

77,279 - Tedisco

Final #'s with all precincts reporting. May still be some absentee ballots out there, no idea how that district works.

So how can no one believe my point of view? You cannot sit there with a straight face and tell me that this is all roses and greatness. If you can, you're delusional (no offense personally, I mean generally). ANYTIME you spend this kind of money in government it's not good. If people don't believe that, then our country has just become the Republic of Chinese America.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
So how can no one believe my point of view? You cannot sit there with a straight face and tell me that this is all roses and greatness. If you can, you're delusional (no offense personally, I mean generally). ANYTIME you spend this kind of money in government it's not good. If people don't believe that, then our country has just become the Republic of Chinese America.

I think the majority are viewing it as Obama and the Democrats doing something to fix this crisis and the Republicans doing nothing but saying "the financial geniuses that got us into this mess will get us out" while proposing joke budgets and massive tax cuts with no coherent planning.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:44 AM)
I think the majority are viewing it as Obama and the Democrats doing something to fix this crisis and the Republicans doing nothing but saying "the financial geniuses that got us into this mess will get us out" while proposing joke budgets and massive tax cuts with no coherent planning.

I'm going to jump in on the coattails of this discussion and agree in principle with this - it's not that what conservatives have to say is invalid, nor should it have ever been. It's what they are focusing on and how they are framing it that's the problem. They're just posting up against the administration and backing farther away, which doesn't get their message out there. Furthermore, the paradox is in saying that things should be allowed to fail and the market(s) to recover on its/their own with limited government involvement; even if those things are 100% true, when it's said during a downturn, it sounds like it's endorsing a negative and that it's apathetic towards the unemployed, when of course it's not. Or at least shouldn't be, because on more than one occasion I've had a conservative friend openly mock unemployed. One got laid off and I privately chuckled at him getting knocked off his high horse.

edit: the friend I was talking about in the last sentence was not kapkomet. lol. I like kap.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Yeah, I should have made it more clear that that's what I think the popular sentiment is, not my personal view (though I do think the Republicans in Congress and bumbling and fumbling right now).

Oh, yeah, I was just kind of piggybacking off your post rather than refuting it. I agree with you.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)

The fundementals of our economy are strong., the President said so a few days ago. Stronger now than when McCain said it 6 months ago. :lolhitting

Edited by Cknolls