Congressional Elections Results Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Coleman needs to give it up. I wonder how much money has been spent on his legal efforts?

If Coleman legitimately believes he has a case, he deserves to have his day before that state's supreme court. He could have taken steps to make this go faster, but he deserves to have this day in court. It's his right. If he's just arguing this to delay the seating of senator #60, then that says something different about him as a person.

If the court rules against him though...then that's a different tune. Because then the question is...does he really have a shot in federal court to have the verdict overturned.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
If Coleman legitimately believes he has a case, he deserves to have his day before that state's supreme court.

People around him and in the RNC have specifically said this isnt about getting Coleman in, it's about keeping Franken out as long as possible.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
People around him and in the RNC have specifically said this isnt about getting Coleman in, it's about keeping Franken out as long as possible.

While they have said that, that does not mean that Coleman does not believe he has a case. He has every right to challenge that election to this point if he believes he does.

I'm cynical enough that you can guess what I believe...but I have no ability to prove what he's actually thinking. The RNC may be willing to pay for his legal fees because they keep that extra senator away by paying for it...but that doesn't mean former Senator Coleman doesn't believe he has a case.

Following on the heels of the oral arguments in this case...news today that MN Governor and prospective 2012 GOP presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty will not run for another term as MN governor in 2010.

Important for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it's the George Allen rule; if he lost the MN election in 2010, it's likely that would kill his chances to win the Republican nomination in 2012.

Secondly...he remains the man who would have to give a signature to certify the election results. It's plausible that the court could order him to do so under threat of penalty, but if they stop short of doing that, then Pawlenty can now act to keep Franken out of the Senate and not have to face the voters of Minnesota again to justify his decision.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
seems like this battle would have cost a lot more than that. maybe some of his attorney's are working pro bono

The $750k is only what the national party has directly given him, both sides have also continued their standard fundraising campaigns. The estimate a few months ago was that the costs were at about $13 million for the legal case between the 2 sides, paid for by continued campaign fundraising.

• 2 weeks later...

Former Senator Coleman decided to make sure his feelings on the matter are abundantly clear.

"But winning isn't about me. You know, it's not about me or even us as Republicans. It really is about this country. And about the future of the country," said Coleman. "The one vote in the United States Senate, the one vote is a difference between possibly people losing the right to a secret ballot in a union election, or not ... One vote, one vote between the potentiality of a slippery slide into the path of government-controlled health care. If I am in the U.S. Senate, we're not gonna have a government-controlled health care. It's not gonna happen."
Video @ link.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
About f***ing time.

Furthermore, according to the AP, the MN Supreme court has also ORDERED (key word) that Franken be certified the winner. That means Pawlenty would have to defy a court order or the Coleman camp would have to rapidly seek an injunction in Federal court to prevent him from being seated.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
Does Congress have the authority to pass a law putting some sort of time limit on election contesting? I think it would behoove everyone involved if in the future we could do that.

I'm not sure I'd support that. This was annoying, but Minnesota took their time, went through the stages of review on many different levels, and feels comfortable with the ruling. Perhaps that's best.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
Does Congress have the authority to pass a law putting some sort of time limit on election contesting? I think it would behoove everyone involved if in the future we could do that.

I believe that the rules regarding certification of election results are constitutionally left up to the states.

On to the reality again...by MN law, the ruling isn't finalized for 10 days after it is issued. Therefore, Coleman has 10 days to seek a federal injunction to try to drag things out. Otherwise, by the readings everyone is doing of the MN Supreme Court decision, Pawlenty appears legally obligated to sign the certificate of election. He could choose to fight that legal obligation in court, but that would likely be an open and shut case.

It's also worth noting that this was a unanimous verdict of the MN Supreme Court.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Coleman conceded

In that case, frankly, I have no issues with how former Senator Coleman handled himself in this election contest. His people may not have made the best arguments, but he had his day in court and is willing to accept the decision. That speaks better of him than I thought his actions would.