Congressional Elections Results Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
As of right now, the house count (per CNN) is 253 Dem, 172 GOP, and 10 still undecided. If the Dems get 8 of the remaining 10, they'd have exactly 60% control.

Which, notably, means nothing in the House except the number.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
And we have a brand new P.O.S. in Blaine Luetkemeyer so enjoy him, America. Thanks Missouri, you never...oops, sorry, you always disappoint.

Even with the ones who stayed or were added...just by getting rid of Marilyn Musgrove...there's a big improvement.

Chambliss will most likely win the runoff. Smith leads in OR and Coleman in MN. I'm sure we'll see some recount shananigans, but I think both will win. Stevens will hold in Alaska I believe, but will get booted from the Senate, which will lead to another election which the Republican will likely win. Palin will name a temporary replacement.

so

54 D

2 I

44 R

in the Senate. with the two I's voting with the Dems most of the time.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Chambliss will most likely win the runoff. Smith leads in OR and Coleman in MN. I'm sure we'll see some recount shananigans, but I think both will win. Stevens will hold in Alaska I believe, but will get booted from the Senate, which will lead to another election which the Republican will likely win. Palin will name a temporary replacement.

so

54 D

2 I

44 R

in the Senate. with the two I's voting with the Dems most of the time.

The problem with Chambliss' runoff is that Chambliss started to fall apart a couple weeks ago. If he can't recover in the runoff, there's no guarantee of anything. There are a lot of people around the country that want Chambliss gone, specifically for what he did to Cleland to win in 02. And I think that means a great outpouring of support for the Dems in that runoff. Lean Chambliss but by no means a sure thing.

The problem with Minnesota is that there were issues in Minneapolis. You can register to vote the same day that you vote. And in many urban areas, they ran out of registration materials and there were some other irregularities that may result in vote totals flipping.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
They still have not finished counting votes in Oregon's Senate race.

thats true. there is still around 27% left to count. so it could turn around quickly. at best I see 57 senate votes for the Dems (55 plus the 2 I's).

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
thats true. there is still around 27% left to count. so it could turn around quickly. at best I see 57 senate votes for the Dems (55 plus the 2 I's).

I think 57 is very possible. I think Coleman or Chambliss could lose.

OR's senator stays in office.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
The problem with Chambliss' runoff is that Chambliss started to fall apart a couple weeks ago. If he can't recover in the runoff, there's no guarantee of anything. There are a lot of people around the country that want Chambliss gone, specifically for what he did to Cleland to win in 02. And I think that means a great outpouring of support for the Dems in that runoff. Lean Chambliss but by no means a sure thing.

The problem with Minnesota is that there were issues in Minneapolis. You can register to vote the same day that you vote. And in many urban areas, they ran out of registration materials and there were some other irregularities that may result in vote totals flipping.

I would put the chances of Chambliss losing at very low. If the Dems want to throw resources there they are probably wasting those resources. Minn is going to be a dirty recount fest, with tons of claims of cheating, a lot whining, and complaining from both sides. Top that all off with Al Franken being involved. Not looking forward to it. I still predict a Coleman win, but there is stilll a good chance that senate spot turns blue.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)

On the other hand...Chambliss gets one potential advantage in a runoff. He doesn't have to go up against the Obama turnout machine.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)

It's going to stay that way for a while until the recount happens in a couple weeks and the courts get a chance to hash everything out.

You know, presumably there are also going to be a decent number of "Provisional ballots" cast in that election, ballots cast by first time voters or voters who's names don't appear/don't match the voter rolls exactly. Those will take days to weeks to check as well, and I'll bet they go overwhelmingly for the Dem because they'd be a lot of new registrations.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
It's going to stay that way for a while until the recount happens in a couple weeks and the courts get a chance to hash everything out.

You know, presumably there are also going to be a decent number of "Provisional ballots" cast in that election, ballots cast by first time voters or voters who's names don't appear/don't match the voter rolls exactly. Those will take days to weeks to check as well, and I'll bet they go overwhelmingly for the Dem because they'd be a lot of new registrations.

In Minnesota, you don't have a voter registration deadline. If you are unregistered and bring proof of your residence, you register to vote and then can immediately vote. There aren't that many provisionals, if any at all, to count in MN.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
Having the voter ID's and being able to draw them out at a 64% clip nationwide are 2 different things.

Chambliss won't have his turnout machine either though.

He only got 1.07 million votes in 2002. He exceeded that by about 700K yesterday.

Lots of new voters in GA, and they're more Dem than GOP.

Merkeley is now up by about 15,000 votes in OR. Looks like he will pull it off, since most of the votes left to count are in DEM strongholds. That gives the DEMs 57 votes.

Georgia is a runoff now.

Minnesota is a recount now with Franken behind less than 700 votes out of 2+ million cast.

In Alaska, Stevens is ahead by about 3300 votes with everything but Absentee/Provisional in. There are between 60K and 75K left to count. 15% of that is from Juneau apparently, where Begich won by a 2-1 margin. If there really are 9000 votes there, he could conceivably close the gap there and we could see a recount in Alaska too.