Why Obama?

Texsox

First off, the economy. When the economy is bad, the in party is booted out.

We elected a an amazingly craptastic President in Bush that made anyone look Presidential.

McCain was Bob Dole. The party owed him, but his moment was 2000.

We should have seen this, society finally advanced to the point we could convict OJ, so electing Obama was a snap.

Congratulations. I'm excited, I think Obama has a tremendous upside potential and pray he reaches it.

Why Obama?

-- Great speaker. Seems very young and sincere. Great family.

-- Great looking. Ask anybody. It is vital. He is pretty like Ali.

-- He's got it all going in the media age.

McCain is Dole like you said.

Way too old. Looked OK on TV for an old guy.

Wife was annoying.

His choice of VP was horrific. Choosing a woman was smart; the woman he picked. My god.

Notice I mention no policies. It's all superficial baby. It's how you look on TV.

Obama in a landslide.

Edited by greg775

To be fair, Greg, everyone knew about at least one Obama policy.

McCain took Obama's potentially scariest policy to most people (tax policy) and hammered it into people's heads and ultimately people wanted Obama anyway.

Congratulations to President Obama, but like others have said, now the hard part begins.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
I am confident that this country finally elected its next great President.

It is almost indescribable the opportunity Obama has. If he somehow keeps together this base of support and can expand it even a little, we have something close to the America we think we have and the image we want to project around the world. I have always believe we grow from the bottom up, not the top down. He has fired up the bottom, fix them, and we fix the world.

If we fails, it will be sad, but we will fail while attempting something special.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
It is almost indescribable the opportunity Obama has. If he somehow keeps together this base of support and can expand it even a little, we have something close to the America we think we have and the image we want to project around the world. I have always believe we grow from the bottom up, not the top down. He has fired up the bottom, fix them, and we fix the world.

If we fails, it will be sad, but we will fail while attempting something special.

I feel like this election has already given our popularity around the globe the shot in the arm it so desperately needed. Obama has a strong support base, and I think he'll do an incredible job.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
I feel like this election has already given our popularity around the globe the shot in the arm it so desperately needed. Obama has a strong support base, and I think he'll do an incredible job.

The fact alone that he looks more like the rest of the world than a typcial white american will provide that shot in the arm.

For every recession, there has been a recovery and there will be with this too. Doesn't matter who was elected, the economy would eventually improve. What is sad is that the average person will just assume it's because of Obama, when in fact it's more to due with economic incluences vs. governmental influences.

With a war that is pretty much already won, and an economy that 18 months from now will only improve, there are a lot of positives on his side already.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
The fact alone that he looks more like the rest of the world than a typcial white american will provide that shot in the arm.

Not to belabor the point, but compare the two parties (not political, but actual party) last night. You had McCain's at the Biltmore, which is one of the nicest hotels in Phoenix and comparable to a Four Seasons. Not to mention his crowd which was primarily white, older and male (in that order).

Then they show Grant Park. Open to the public, somewhat. A mix of races, cultures, gender, it was amazing to see and the first thing I said to my wife was, "Now THAT'S America." What McCain had at his rally was America in the 1800's, unfortunately. I hope, for their sake, Republicans saw what I saw. Because that's the America of the future (actually, the present).

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Not to belabor the point, but compare the two parties (not political, but actual party) last night. You had McCain's at the Biltmore, which is one of the nicest hotels in Phoenix and comparable to a Four Seasons. Not to mention his crowd which was primarily white, older and male (in that order).

Then they show Grant Park. Open to the public, somewhat. A mix of races, cultures, gender, it was amazing to see and the first thing I said to my wife was, "Now THAT'S America." What McCain had at his rally was America in the 1800's, unfortunately. I hope, for their sake, Republicans saw what I saw. Because that's the America of the future (actually, the present).

Great point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
The most interesting line that I have seen so far is this from Phil Rosenthal on Facebook this morning...

What if Peter Fitzgerald seeks re-election in 2004?

Then Obama doesn't go for the vacant Senate seat. There are tons of what-ifs.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)

Even the behavior of the crowd was night and day. In Phoenix you had a very subdued crowd even before the results came in, and when they lost the crowd booed Obama. I felt like the crowd in Grant Park was positive from the get go and was very supportive of the comments Obama made about McCain. Even though some people's candidate didnt win (like mine) I think people have to appreciate the feeling that the population finally got off their asses and decided to be heard. The reaction around the world especially in poorer areas was one of hope as well as admiration of the American people. THATS what the US was founded on, and I think that the US will have a better positive energy moving forward.