Thank You John McCain.

Rex Kickass

Jos concession speech was one of the greatest political speeches I have heard in a long time. In my lifetime he is easily the best of the runner ups. I've said from the beginning we had two great choices and his speech spoke volumes about his character.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Jos concession speech was one of the greatest political speeches I have heard in a long time. In my lifetime he is easily the best of the runner ups. I've said from the beginning we had two great choices and his speech spoke volumes about his character.

Agreed. It's funny because I voted for him in the primary and still went with Obama in the election. I wonder how big of a detriment Palin was to his bid.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Agreed. It's funny because I voted for him in the primary and still went with Obama in the election. I wonder how big of a detriment Palin was to his bid.

The economy and Dubya's dismal 6 years doomed him. I believe any major Dem nominee wins tonight.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)
The economy and Dubya's dismal 6 years doomed him. I believe any major Dem nominee wins tonight.

agreed...unpopular president, poor economy, unpopular war and rockstar candidate made it next to impossible for mccain to win...just think if iron mike did run for senator ...how much would that have changed the entire future of this country? who knows, but its possible ditka woulda won

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
First time I got misty eyed tonight was reading excerpts from McCain's concession. Classy.

It was incredible live. He hushed the crowd quickly when they bood Obama or showed any lack of class. He is a great American and it is obvious he loves America.

I have extreme misgivings with his campaign, and if it wasn't who he was, he should own up to that. BUt that said, I'd rather say thank you to the conservatives of this site. While this last week was heated, from september to october, during classes, I couldn't wait to get in here to debate. It was fun. To kap, mr. g, ss2k5 and any of the other regulars, Thank You for the best message board give-and-take I've been involved in.

I wish he had just been himself in this campaign. He wouldn't have won, as the GWB mountain was impossible to overcome, and I wish he had realized that and not tried to be something else to get into the White House. However, I still have incredible respect for him and will ALWAYS wonder how different our country would be today had the republicans picked John McCain instead of George W. Bush in 2000.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
I have extreme misgivings with his campaign, and if it wasn't who he was, he should own up to that. BUt that said, I'd rather say thank you to the conservatives of this site. While this last week was heated, from september to october, during classes, I couldn't wait to get in here to debate. It was fun. To kap, mr. g, ss2k5 and any of the other regulars, Thank You for the best message board give-and-take I've been involved in.

I know that we don't see eye to eye, but at the same time, I think that most here have our country's interest at heart.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)

^^^^^^^^^

I commend him with all my heart....

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)

Agreed. That was a fantastic speech. Made me wish McCain had won in 2000.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
It was incredible live. He hushed the crowd quickly when they bood Obama or showed any lack of class. He is a great American and it is obvious he loves America.

It's too bad he listened to his Rove-like strategists and ran such a negative campaign. He would have fared better if he was more like the McCain of 2000. But that's already been discussed at length in the 'buster over the months.

I too thought that McCain was his best in concession. Why he couldn't be that genuine throughout his campaign, I'll never know. He easily ran one of the worst campaigns in recent memory. Last night I feel like we got our first glimpse of the real John McCain since he won the Republican nomination.

The outcome works for me, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 07:16 AM)
He should have just run like it was 2000. Forget the right wing of the party.

That makes so much sense, but I wonder if he could have doine that and still been McCain? One of the qualities I've admired about McCain is his ability to unite people. The question becomes, how can he unite Dems and Reps if he could not unite his own party? I'm not certain there is an answer to that. I am sad for him, and very excited for Obama.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
That makes so much sense, but I wonder if he could have doine that and still been McCain? One of the qualities I've admired about McCain is his ability to unite people. The question becomes, how can he unite Dems and Reps if he could not unite his own party? I'm not certain there is an answer to that. I am sad for him, and very excited for Obama.

At his age, John McCain will now just fade away.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)

OMG No. He's now, or shortly will be, on the major speaking tour. What he once gave away for free, will now cost some Foundation or Corporation $X,000,000.00 to hear.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)

i honestly expect him to be a strong voice in the senate. and i think he will try and do just what he promised and bring the country together. i love the old mccain, and i think that's who's gonna be back. last night's speech showed that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
i honestly expect him to be a strong voice in the senate. and i think he will try and do just what he promised and bring the country together. i love the old mccain, and i think that's who's gonna be back. last night's speech showed that.

We've seen very little evidence of the loser having an impact post election. I hope McCain changes that. I hope he "reaches across the aisle." That would be great. I didn't vote for him, but it doesn't mean that I don't respect him or that his voice shouldn't be heard. I think that we need more than one voice in politics, and hopefully Obama's promise to change things will actually happen. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

The only loser that I can think of that stayed active in politics is Ted Kennedy. Other guys kept their seats in the Senate or House, but they didn't make much noise. I hope McCain is just as active in voicing his opinions in the next few years. I hope the guy that ran in 2000 re-emerges.

I'd like to see Obama's advisors be picked based on skill, not friendship. Pick the best people from both parties. That's change.