Thank You John McCain.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 06:44 PM)
We've seen very little evidence of the loser having an impact post election. I hope McCain changes that. I hope he "reaches across the aisle." That would be great. I didn't vote for him, but it doesn't mean that I don't respect him or that his voice shouldn't be heard. I think that we need more than one voice in politics, and hopefully Obama's promise to change things will actually happen. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

The only loser that I can think of that stayed active in politics is Ted Kennedy. Other guys kept their seats in the Senate or House, but they didn't make much noise. I hope McCain is just as active in voicing his opinions in the next few years. I hope the guy that ran in 2000 re-emerges.

I'd like to see Obama's advisors be picked based on skill, not friendship. Pick the best people from both parties. That's change.

John Kerry has stayed active, and if you are to make the list, as you did with Kennedy, primary losers who stayed active, it's pretty big.

Thank you, Senator McCain. Your concession speech was class exemplified. In a GOP primary field full of wingbat social crusaders, you were a voice of reason. Your long service to this country and your courage and bravery are nearly unparalleled in the modern age. I hope that you will indeed be involved in Obama's decisionmaking processes, and I am cnofident that the more centrist, less party-dictated version of you will come back to the Senate. Congratulations on a hard fought election. I never had the slightest doubt about your desire to do what you thought was best for the country.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
John Kerry has stayed active, and if you are to make the list, as you did with Kennedy, primary losers who stayed active, it's pretty big.

I can't argue with you on that. I understand that many losers in both the Presidential and primary elections have returned back to their former positions and resumed their duties (and others - eg. Gore with global warming - haven't disappeared) . I mean it more in terms of being a national figure and continuing to fight for the things that they spoke about as candidates. They spent millions and countless hours telling people to trust them with their vote, and I think it's sad if they just go back to their former job as if they never ran at all. I can't think of anything that Kerry did in the four years since 2004. He certainly didn't end the war or capture Osama, even though he said he knew how to do both.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Goldwater most definitely had that kind of thing going after losing in 64.

Goldwater is why Reagan happened in 1980. And why 1994 happened for the GOP. Goldwater's campaign was about ideology.

Absolutely, and the party has lost it's way ideologically in the last decade or so, which is the main reason the balance of power is where it is after last night.