Swisher, Dye or PK will be traded

fathom

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
I think since KW traded most of his minor league talent for Swish that he wouldnt unload him for crap like that. If he decided to sell on Swish, he should be bringing back a pitcher to replace Javy. I could actually see KW targeting an arm like D Cabrera

Exactly. Javy, Swish, Getz or Javy, JD, Nix for Cabera and Roberts. Some combo that includes Javy for Cabrera and Roberts would definitely be on my wish list.

MOney is no issue to the Yankees and they need some pop at 1B. How about looking to deal PK to the Yanks for Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy. I don't know how Kennedy is thought of in NY since he stunk it up last year. Cabrera also had a down year but showed alot of promise in '06 and '07. He's only 24,switch hits, has some pop, and can steal a couple bases for you. Cabrera takes over in CF and Swish goes to 1b.

We would be lucky to get EITHER Kennedy/Hughes OR Cabrera for Konerko IMO.

Konerko has to prove he's healthy for an entire season to get the package you're discussing. The Yankees know how important pitching is to their future, they're shedding Pavano and possibly Mussina, so they can't afford to deal guys like Kennedy or Hughes yet. It's just too soon to give up on them.

I think many teams are looking at the two years and $20+ million and taking a wait and see attitude with Paulie...he's in his 30's now, the "degenerative" hip rumors have been there since the Cameron deal. The last 6 weeks made it easier to trade Konerko, but still not at his optimum value. The rib cage injury really messed him up, then the hand, then the knee...he was beaten up and he's rededicated himself to getting into better shape and working out earnestly for the first time in his big league career. I think we keep Paulie. Dye/Swisher are the more logical moves.

Wouldn't it be funny if we traded Swisher/Konerko and Giambi ended up playing 1B for the Sox? I think the only thing more unlikely would be Wil Cordero, Julio Franco or Albert Belle coming back to the Sox at 1B/DH.

Edited by caulfield12

Hmmmm;

According to the Arizona Republic, "the Diamondbacks have interest in" Kelly Johnson, "but don't believe they match up well in a trade with the Braves."

Atlanta is said to be "seeking a right-handed power-hitting outfielder," which is why the Cardinals and Ryan Ludwick have been linked to Johnson. The newspaper reports that "the Diamondbacks have considered trying to include a third team in trade discussions to satisfy Atlanta's needs."

Dye for Johnson + something else maybe?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
My mom just called, breathless, saying she heard on the Score that Dye, Swisher and Javy are shipping out.

Anybody hear this?

Don't think so. They were discussing that possibility. But I turned off the radio for a second so...

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
would a trade of Dye to Tampa Bay for Edwin Jackson and Willy Aybar make sense for both teams?

Doubtful . TB 's highest paid player for 2008 was Carlos Pena at $6 mil. Dye made 9.5 mil in 2008. Don't anticipate TB changing their frugal ways any time soon.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
The Rays saw an almost 500,000 person jump from 2007 to 2008. Along with that, season ticket sales surely will rise this off-season. The Rays won't shy from spending some money this off-season, but they just have to be smart about it. Dye actually does make sense for them, seeing as they would avoid a long term commitment. With the young core intact in Tampa, they know they are going to be giving some big money deals to the core relatively soon.

Aside from David Price and BJ Upton, a good portion of their "Young core" has already been extended for a while. Kazmir, Longoria, Crawford, Pena all have a contract covering a couple more years.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Right, and they start getting expensive with those deals.

Kazmir-2009: $6 million, 2010: $8 million, 2011: $12 million, 2012: $13.5 million club option w/$2.5 million buyout,

Crawford-2009: $8.25 million club option w/$2.5 million buyout, 2010: $10 million club option w/$1.25 million buyout.

Pena-2009: $8 million, 2010: $10.125 million

Longoria is pretty cheap for the next 3 years.

The point is, the core is going to start getting expensive, and they still are going to have to get Upton and Garza done long term.

So what names from TB do we hear mentioned in trade rumors ? I hear Crawford mentioned right now the most. He's due the most money. If the Rays spent it will be to reward the young core not on a declining outfielder with a salary higher than any of it's current players even if it is for only a year. I'd say that's being smart about it. Still I won't deny it's possible of course just not probable. Like I said originally "doubtful .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
So what names from TB do we hear mentioned in trade rumors ? I hear Crawford mentioned right now the most. He's due the most money. If the Rays spent it will be to reward the young core not on a declining outfielder with a salary higher than any of it's current players even if it is for only a year. I'd say that's being smart about it. Still I won't deny it's possible of course just not probable. Like I said originally "doubtful .

Besides the "pipe dreams" of Upton, there's Reid Brignac, Rocco Baldelli and taking on Fernandez Perez as a fourth OF to inject some more speed/defense.

Lots of ideas about trading for Edwin Jackson/Niemann and E. Morlan.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
Doubtful . TB 's highest paid player for 2008 was Carlos Pena at $6 mil. Dye made 9.5 mil in 2008. Don't anticipate TB changing their frugal ways any time soon.

Tampa does have some money coming off the books. Trever Miller ($1.6M), Rocco Baldelli ($2.25M), Cliff Floyd ($2.75M), plus arb-eligible guys like Johnny Gomes who made over $1M could be non-tendered. I don't know how much of that money will be eaten up by raises, perhaps all of it and then some, but they still are shedding some contracts.

Plus, they have a couple of contracts in Troy Percival ($4M in '09), Chad Bradford ($3.5M in '09), and Dan Wheeler ($3.2M in '09, $3.5M in '10, $4M TO in '11 w/ $1M buyout) that perhaps the Sox could take on. I wouldn't touch Wheeler's contract with a ten foot pole, and Percival probably isn't a MLB pitcher anymore, but Bradford's deal isn't bad at all. Actually I'd think it would be worth positive value, although Bradford did somehow make it through waivers to Tampa unclaimed last year.

If you have a base of say Dye for Jackson + prospect, then maybe you make it Dye + prospect for Jackson + prospect + Bradford. It's important to remember that Jackson is arb-eligible and should make at least $1M+, so TB would be cutting that too.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
Right, and they start getting expensive with those deals.

Kazmir-2009: $6 million, 2010: $8 million, 2011: $12 million, 2012: $13.5 million club option w/$2.5 million buyout,

Crawford-2009: $8.25 million club option w/$2.5 million buyout, 2010: $10 million club option w/$1.25 million buyout.

Pena-2009: $8 million, 2010: $10.125 million

Longoria is pretty cheap for the next 3 years.

The point is, the core is going to start getting expensive, and they still are going to have to get Upton and Garza done long term.

Exactly, and the other thing to keep in mind is they still weren't selling out, and really nowhere near it in August and September when that team was nails. If they don't start to draw, they will be the AL's answer to the Marlins, forced to trade all their talent when they start to make money for prospects.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Am I the only one who really wants Willy Aybar?

I wanted him a long time ago when he was getting wasted and skipping out on the Braves. When the Braves people suspended him or whatever they did, or reported him missing or however the story goes, that's when I wanted Kenny to swoop in. As it is now, he's raised his value a ton and now we'd be buying high on a UT player. It's not like he'd cost anything really, really good, but I think he'll be too expensive. For what I think he'd cost, I rather see the Sox go after Maicer Izturis if he's available. If there's any truth to the Konerko-for-Figgins stuff that has been going around, that's a guy I'd like to see come back. He could be a UT type or our starting 2B and #2 hitter if all else fails.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 05:53 AM)
Exactly, and the other thing to keep in mind is they still weren't selling out, and really nowhere near it in August and September when that team was nails. If they don't start to draw, they will be the AL's answer to the Marlins, forced to trade all their talent when they start to make money for prospects.

I think thats precisely what will happen. Their window of opportunity to win the WS is very small in that division. Yankees and Red Sox have the resources to reload every year.Tampa Bay can only seem to sell out during the playoffs. NY and Boston are in dense population areas with people with disposable income. Florida is filled with retireees watching every nickle. I know thats oversimplifying it but I don't see how some of these franchises survive.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
I think thats precisely what will happen. Their window of opportunity to win the WS is very small in that division. Yankees and Red Sox have the resources to reload every year.Tampa Bay can only seem to sell out during the playoffs. NY and Boston are in dense population areas with people with disposable income. Florida is filled with retireees watching every nickle. I know thats oversimplifying it but I don't see how some of these franchises survive.

Tampa bay has finished in last place every year of their existance prior to this year. I takes time for people to actually buy into the idea that the team is good. That is what happened this year. Next year, they will have a groundswell of support early in the season and with season ticket sales. If they continue to win, they'll have decent attendance figures in '09.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Tampa bay has finished in last place every year of their existance prior to this year. I takes time for people to actually buy into the idea that the team is good. That is what happened this year. Next year, they will have a groundswell of support early in the season and with season ticket sales. If they continue to win, they'll have decent attendance figures in '09.

The Marlins didn't even want to try to sustain their success. They built it up, won a WS, knocked it down, built it up again, won another WS and broke the Cubs hearts. How do they draw ?

8:43pm: Ken Davidoff says the Yankees had "extremely preliminary" talks with the Sox regarding Swisher. Something to keep an eye on if the Yanks don't sign Mark Teixeira. Additionally, Davidoff says the White Sox are not anxious to unload Vazquez.

9:42am: According to Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox are aggressively shopping Javier Vazquez and Nick Swisher. Additionally, the Sox reportedly have interest in Rockies center fielder Willy Taveras.

GM Ken Williams didn't offer much info regarding possible trade talks. Van Dyck speculates on names like Luis Castillo or Julio Lugo for Vazquez, seemingly suggesting Vazquez has a terrible contract too. Hard to figure out, as he remains a useful mid-rotation starter. Sox Machine wants the abuse of logic to stop.

Van Dyck wonders whether the A's or Red Sox would have interest in Swisher, based on some tenuous Moneyball connection. Joel Sherman believes Swisher could be a fit for the Yankees due to his versatility. Williams replied in the negative when asked whether Swisher would play center field for the '09 White Sox, which could be interpreted multiple ways.

Van Dyck says the Rockies wouldn't have interest in Vazquez or Swisher, but rather a young pitcher like Lance Broadway for Taveras.

from mlbtraderumors.com