Dye among baseball's worst fielders?

scenario

Link (quote below is at the bottom of the linked page)

Defense is difficult to quantify, but the plus-minus system devised by James colleague John Dewan, owner of Baseball Info Solutions, is a respected metric.

According to Dewan, baseball’s worst-fielding players at each position over the last three seasons are as follows:

1B – Mike Jacobs; 2B – Jeff Kent; 3B – Edwin Encarnacion; SS – Derek Jeter; LF – Pat Burrell; CF – Nate McLouth; RF – Jermaine Dye; P – Daniel Cabrera.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
He’s more than acceptable. Poor defense can be compensated for, Dye does it with his bat. However, I think the ideal situation would be to move Q to right, and Dye to left. Dye defensive deficiencies would be far less evident if this move was made.

That doesnt make sense right and left fielders cover about the same amount of ground the only difference is that rf should always have the better arm because his throw to third is longer. Dye has a clearly better arm than anyone else in our of

First off, being the worst RF isn't like being the worst LF. Pretty much all starting RF are at least average or slightly below average defensively. If they moved over to LF, any one of them would be in the top 10 defensively for LF. Looking around the majors at the starting RF, I can see Dye being the worst.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
How the f*** isn't Manny Ramirez the worst LF in the game?

QFT

Even though he is just a complete imbecile out there, I still laughed my ass off when i saw him miss a ball this year, and roll over twice to pick up the ball and throw it in from his knees

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
He’s more than acceptable. Poor defense can be compensated for, Dye does it with his bat. However, I think the ideal situation would be to move Q to right, and Dye to left. Dye defensive deficiencies would be far less evident if this move was made.

Do you really like Q better defensively that JD? I think Q misjudges ball trajectory much more frequently.

Yeah, it's a slow day.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Say what you want about Dye, he'll be playing RF for the White Sox in '09.

If he's on the White Sox, almost certainly, yes he will be in RF.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
Do you really like Q better defensively that JD? I think Q misjudges ball trajectory much more frequently.

Yeah, it's a slow day.

Prior to this season, Quentin had rarely played LF in his entire career, and playing LF is an entirely different beast than playing RF. I think Quentin would be just fine in RF. Hell, from what I saw of Quentin in LF, he looked like he had pretty good range in LF and just missed a few balls.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
If he's on the White Sox, almost certainly, yes he will be in RF.

Prior to this season, Quentin had rarely played LF in his entire career, and playing LF is an entirely different beast than playing RF. I think Quentin would be just fine in RF. Hell, from what I saw of Quentin in LF, he looked like he had pretty good range in LF and just missed a few balls.

Playing right and left are very similar. They have the same amount of ground they have to cover unless certain fields have a different amount of foul territory on one side of the field for one thing. Also ball hit to them are the same it just depends on the hitter. For example when a lefty hits the ball down the left field linei t will tail, it will do the same thing down the right field line for a righty. By no stretch of the imagination are either easy to play, as unlike cf it is harder to judge balls because you are not looking straight at the hitter. So it isnt easy to play to play corner outfield but it is very similar for each one, its just a matter of having your mind think the opposite way in regards to the hitters orientation.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
That doesnt make sense right and left fielders cover about the same amount of ground the only difference is that rf should always have the better arm because his throw to third is longer. Dye has a clearly better arm than anyone else in our of

The next time Dye gets behind a flyball and runs through it will be his first, he's one of the worst fundamental OF I've ever seen. So his pure arm strength MIGHT be greater than that of CQ (though Edgar Renteria might have a thing or 2 to say about that) but since JD catches every ball flatfooted he's nullifying a great deal of that strength.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Playing right and left are very similar. They have the same amount of ground they have to cover unless certain fields have a different amount of foul territory on one side of the field for one thing. Also ball hit to them are the same it just depends on the hitter. For example when a lefty hits the ball down the left field linei t will tail, it will do the same thing down the right field line for a righty. By no stretch of the imagination are either easy to play, as unlike cf it is harder to judge balls because you are not looking straight at the hitter. So it isnt easy to play to play corner outfield but it is very similar for each one, its just a matter of having your mind think the opposite way in regards to the hitters orientation.

Yeah and adjusting to the new trajectory takes time even if it is just the opposite of RF. If an outfielder spends his entire career in RF (where he's an above average defender) you can't just expect him to switch to LF on the fly without some sort of extended adjustment period.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Yeah and adjusting to the new trajectory takes time even if it is just the opposite of RF. If an outfielder spends his entire career in RF (where he's an above average defender) you can't just expect him to switch to LF on the fly without some sort of extended adjustment period.

However, that throw he made to first early in the season...spectacular!