Dye among baseball's worst fielders?

scenario

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Until this year, he played RF exclusively

I am aware of that, I said all year that watching him play LF made me hope that he was just having trouble adjusting after spending years playing RF because he really didn't look good in the field this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
I am aware of that, I said all year that watching him play LF made me hope that he was just having trouble adjusting after spending years playing RF because he really didn't look good in the field this year.

maybe i misinterpreted your comment, I took it as you saying that it was a myth that he could play RF

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)

Scouts evaluated Q as a plus+ defender when he played right field.

I think what we saw last year was: 1) a little bit of rust from time off due to injury; 2) the after effect of his injury probably causing him to be a little more tentative, 3) and the impact of adjusting to a new position.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
maybe i misinterpreted your comment, I took it as you saying that it was a myth that he could play RF

No that is certainly possible. It seems like there are a lot of defenders of his outfield play last season though around here, and that is a myth because quite frankly he was mediocre in left field last year defensively. Of course, he was perhaps the best all around hitter in the American League so we could certainly live with the defense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
No that is certainly possible. It seems like there are a lot of defenders of his outfield play last season though around here, and that is a myth because quite frankly he was mediocre in left field last year defensively.

You're looking at 2008 only.

First year back after shoulder surgery and playing a new position should not translate into lack of skills.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
No that is certainly possible. It seems like there are a lot of defenders of his outfield play last season though around here, and that is a myth because quite frankly he was mediocre in left field last year defensively. Of course, he was perhaps the best all around hitter in the American League so we could certainly live with the defense.

I agree that he was bad and I've said it on more than one occasion so I know this isn't directed at me. My hope is that he's moved back to his real position of RF next season and reverts back to the plus defender we thought we were acquiring last offseason.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Scouts evaluated Q as a plus+ defender when he played right field.

I think what we saw last year was: 1) a little bit of rust from time off due to injury; 2) the after effect of his injury probably causing him to be a little more tentative, 3) and the impact of adjusting to a new position.

I hope you're right. I thought he looked a lot like El Caballo in LF.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
I hope you're right. I thought he looked a lot like El Caballo in LF.

I did some research on him right after we traded for him.

Basically what the reports (which were pretty consistent) said about his defense was...

- He had a strong arm, but struggled with accuracy. His arm had been rated average to above average, but the ratings actually improved after he had TJ surgery.

- One of the negatives was foot-speed... which is why he was moved to a corner after being considered for CF early in his career.

- And the reports suggested that he ran excellent routes... good enough that he might eventually be considered a GG candidate at a corner position.

However, earlier this year (July 2008) SI came out with one that suggested he projected to be only an average outfielder. (But I imagine anyone scouting him this year would only give him average at best.)

So... what Carlos Quentin will we see this year? Dunno. The majority of the evidence suggests however that he should be stronger defensively than we saw in '08.

(btw - my earlier note on him should have only been one plus... not a plus plus.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
One of the great myths on this site is that Q is a good defender and capable of playing right field.

I agree with this. While there is some adjustment from RF to LF, I wasn't impressed with Quentin's D at all.