Another What Should I Do Thread

Texsox

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Grad School for Tex?

• English - Literature
    • Psychology - Clinical
    • Drinking - FlaSoxxJim

I will shortly have a B.A. in Psychology and English, I double majored. Both departments have urged, suggested, arm twisted, encouraged, and in general enticed me to consider Grad School in that field. I know I am going to Grad School, so that is not the question, the question is do I pursue a Masters in Psychology probably in the Clinical program or a Masters in English, Literature?

Psychology. That was my major in 1979 and I have not wavered. I look forward to every class. I hear things like, it's a lot of work and very stressful, but once you earn your MA or PhD, it is a very rewarding career. You have the talent and brain power to do really well. Afterward, I could start a pratice in most states doing private counseling.

English. It was my minor, then I was urged to double major. I look forward to every class. Next semester, South Texas Literature and Reading Harry Potter. I hear things like, you will love it, you will have so much fun, you are a natural at this, we have a TA spot with your name on it. This seems like less stress, more leisure time, more fun, and lower dollars. The lower dollars is not a top 5 factor in my decision. I would probably be a teacher at some level between Middle School and College.

I also wonder, those that went and those that didn't, what factors did you consider?

Honest opinion: Think hard about if you want a terminal masters in Clinical/counseling Psych. My general understanding is that the market is rather flooded with those degrees and PsyD's and PhD's. I personally know a few unemployed clinicians (and this is from a program that has won national training awards repeatedly). So, think about that, and if you're considering going for that, you may want to think about going whole hog and doing a full PhD program.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Honest opinion: Think hard about if you want a terminal masters in Clinical/counseling Psych. My general understanding is that the market is rather flooded with those degrees and PsyD's and PhD's. I personally know a few unemployed clinicians (and this is from a program that has won national training awards repeatedly). So, think about that, and if you're considering going for that, you may want to think about going whole hog and doing a full PhD program.

That has kind of been a subset of the Psychology decision. I love the research as well, but that seems more tenuous than clinical.Based on age and a couple other consideration, I am taking this step by step and leaving the door open, but not deciding on a PhD program. Which eliminated one MA-PhD program I looked at in English.

I started taking grad class in clin Psy and hated the hell out of it. I found out I was going to be stuck in the basement of a building crunching numbers from research that I wasnt even a bit interested in. My focus during undergrad was on children and psychopharm and both beat the hell out of working on SPSS 8 hours a day.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
Psychology is a soft science, really just barely more than pseudoscience, and you're better off spending your money on gambling, hookers, and booze than getting a Psych degree.

:unsure:

I've already covered the necessities . . .

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Psychology is a soft science, really just barely more than pseudoscience, and you're better off spending your money on gambling, hookers, and booze than getting a Psych degree.

:unsure:

I AM TOTALLY OFFENDED BY THAT--wait, no, I agree.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
That has kind of been a subset of the Psychology decision. I love the research as well, but that seems more tenuous than clinical.Based on age and a couple other consideration, I am taking this step by step and leaving the door open, but not deciding on a PhD program. Which eliminated one MA-PhD program I looked at in English.

Can I put in a plug for Social Work? I think you'll go farther with that degree than with an MA in Counseling/Clinical.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Can I put in a plug for Social Work? I think you'll go farther with that degree than with an MA in Counseling/Clinical.

I'm too old. I just don't have the emotional reserve anymore to tackle that population. Twenty years ago, yes.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm too old. I just don't have the emotional reserve anymore to tackle that population. Twenty years ago, yes.

I don't know if you would be happy catering to wealthy people who can afford the help and need it far less.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
I don't know if you would be happy catering to wealthy people who can afford the help and need it far less.

You are not the first one to mention that. Honestly, I think I would be best in some teaching position at this point. And teaching opportunities seem greater for English than Psychology. Remember, I'm not an argumentative s.o.b. in person, just here :lol:

Another factor that a friend good enough to slap me figuratively across the face said that Psychology has more prestige than English and that I crave the ego stroke.

The availability of jobs should be a major factor. A masters and/or PhD in either field is going to be a lot harder (I know you know this) no matter how much of a natural you are at it. For me, the light at the end of the tunnel is that I know there are a number of good, high paying jobs that will be there when I finish my PhD (Strategic Management - specifially entrepreneurship and internationalization).

While the money isn't "critical," it is important after so many years of not making barely any money (plus my wife would enjoy going back to her passion in the low-paying field of marine biology after supporting me during the PhD). The PhD program has definitely sapped some of my "love" for my field (though teaching it brings a lot of that back). In some fields, as Soxy said, there are very few jobs, even for extremely talented people.

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
You are not the first one to mention that. Honestly, I think I would be best in some teaching position at this point. And teaching opportunities seem greater for English than Psychology. Remember, I'm not an argumentative s.o.b. in person, just here :lol:

Another factor that a friend good enough to slap me figuratively across the face said that Psychology has more prestige than English and that I crave the ego stroke.

Remember that your teaching potential will be limited with just a masters. You'll be looking at community college or untenured college/university posts that don't have the best perks. And my friends that have left with just a masters in Psych haven't been able to land teaching stuff. A terminal masters in Psych (in my opinion) is not going to get you tons further than a BA in Psych.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Remember that your teaching potential will be limited with just a masters. You'll be looking at community college or untenured college/university posts that don't have the best perks. And my friends that have left with just a masters in Psych haven't been able to land teaching stuff. A terminal masters in Psych (in my opinion) is not going to get you tons further than a BA in Psych.

I understand and a PhD is something I would like to do, but remember I have some age and other considerations that may not allow that to happen. Which works in English's favor. Many more options there for teaching. But overall, with almost any field

no degree

And I need to take it one step at a time. In Texas, a Masters would allow me to sit for the license test and open my own practice. That seems like a huge difference.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
I understand and a PhD is something I would like to do, but remember I have some age and other considerations that may not allow that to happen. Which works in English's favor. Many more options there for teaching. But overall, with almost any field

no degree

And I need to take it one step at a time. In Texas, a Masters would allow me to sit for the license test and open my own practice. That seems like a huge difference.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I'm just telling you what I know based on my 4 years in a Psych grad program. Of the clinicians I know that left with masters, two are working in a prison doing a job they could have with a BA, one switched field and one was living in his car and campaigning for Obama.

Of the experimentals I know that left, two are working as college admissions officers, one has been looking for a year for a teaching job (unsuccessfully) and another is still looking for a job.

My point is that you are really going to want to think about job opportunities. I would honestly talk to people with the MA you are looking for that are NOT affiliated with the program you are thinking about going into. That way you will get a view of what it's like once you have attained the degree you want. I'm just trying to make sure you know how glutted the market is with Clinical PhD's, MA's in counseling and PsyD's.

Even since I've entered grad school the market has gotten very competitive. It's difficult to find a post without a post-doc fellowship--beyond the PhD.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
It sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I'm just telling you what I know based on my 4 years in a Psych grad program. Of the clinicians I know that left with masters, two are working in a prison doing a job they could have with a BA, one switched field and one was living in his car and campaigning for Obama.

Of the experimentals I know that left, two are working as college admissions officers, one has been looking for a year for a teaching job (unsuccessfully) and another is still looking for a job.

My point is that you are really going to want to think about job opportunities. I would honestly talk to people with the MA you are looking for that are NOT affiliated with the program you are thinking about going into. That way you will get a view of what it's like once you have attained the degree you want. I'm just trying to make sure you know how glutted the market is with Clinical PhD's, MA's in counseling and PsyD's.

Even since I've entered grad school the market has gotten very competitive. It's difficult to find a post without a post-doc fellowship--beyond the PhD.

Then maybe I am missing something, don't you have to have a Masters before a PhD?

And honestly, the only decision that has been made is to continue. The next decision is the toughest, English or Psychology.

And I am in a position where I can seek knowledge for knowledge. I guess if I was looking at a 50 year career, I would be thinking different, but honestly, I'll have maybe 5-10 years, if I am lucky, post PhD.

I re read your post. Clinical is a choice based on not being able to move right away and being available here at UTPA.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
Then maybe I am missing something, don't you have to have a Masters before a PhD?

And honestly, the only decision that has been made is to continue. The next decision is the toughest, English or Psychology.

And I am in a position where I can seek knowledge for knowledge. I guess if I was looking at a 50 year career, I would be thinking different, but honestly, I'll have maybe 5-10 years, if I am lucky, post PhD.

I re read your post. Clinical is a choice based on not being able to move right away and being available here at UTPA.

You do get your masters before you PhD usually, but some programs don't include a masters--you just go straight for the PhD. I think one of my friends did that at Albany. I have had several friends leave my program after the masters; most of them don't regret it because they realize they didn't want the PhD, but most of them do wish they were able to find a job using their degree.

My point is just to talk to people that have an MA in Clinical/Counseling around your area and see what type of availability/pay you're looking at.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
You do get your masters before you PhD usually, but some programs don't include a masters--you just go straight for the PhD. I think one of my friends did that at Albany. I have had several friends leave my program after the masters; most of them don't regret it because they realize they didn't want the PhD, but most of them do wish they were able to find a job using their degree.

My point is just to talk to people that have an MA in Clinical/Counseling around your area and see what type of availability/pay you're looking at.

Thank you.

The three options here at UTPA are Clinical, Experimental, and a brand new Behavioral Analysis Program just starting up this next fall. And I'm tied to here. I'm looking into thye Behavioral program, I honestly do not know anything about it besides the little I saw at the abainternational.org web site.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
Thank you.

The three options here at UTPA are Clinical, Experimental, and a brand new Behavioral Analysis Program just starting up this next fall. And I'm tied to here. I'm looking into thye Behavioral program, I honestly do not know anything about it besides the little I saw at the abainternational.org web site.

ABA is actually what the Clinical program in my area trains with (awful sentence, but I've been at one job or another since 8 this morning). It is (for a clinical program) pretty scientifically rigorous. Is the Clinical program a terminal masters program? Or is it built into a PhD program? Sometimes (if the masters isn't terminal) you won't actually be a licensed clinician after the MA program.

Good luck with the application! I know grad programs are a bit selective. My department gets around 250-400 applicants a year and accepts about 12-17.

• 2 weeks later...