Penny's option declined....

Wanne

The Los Angeles Dodgers, needing money for other pursuits, have declined a $8.75 million option for 2009 on pitcher Brad Penny.

Penny will get a $2 million buyout from the Dodgers. The right-hander is now eligible for free agency.

Penny, 30, went 6-9 with a 6.27 ERA for L.A. in 2008, after going 16-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 2007.

Kenny...start dialing!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
Foolish to decline an option that pays an above average starter less than 10 million.

That's what I was thinkin' too...that's a REEEEEALLY attractive salary to have on a pitcher like him to dangle as trade bait. Not sure what the hell the Dodgers were thinking.

If the White Sox were to acquire Penny, imagine the expectations that would be set? LOL.

Cooper will have him looking like Loaiza Version 2003 in no time (while simultaneously adding to Poreda's arsenal and nurturing Danks/Floyd/Richard). Everyone would be saying the White Sox POTENTIALLY have the best rotation in the game of baseball...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
If the White Sox were to acquire Penny, imagine the expectations that would be set? LOL.

Cooper will have him looking like Loaiza Version 2003 in no time (while simultaneously adding to Poreda's arsenal and nurturing Danks/Floyd/Richard). Everyone would be saying the White Sox POTENTIALLY have the best rotation in the game of baseball...

Hell, if I were Penny...I might well be looking at a team like the White Sox...a team with a record of helping turn guys around or building guys up, maybe for a short 1-2 year deal to take another shot at FA after a "Contract season" type performance. Like the Sox, or Cardinals, or perhaps the Braves or Padres. Someone like that.

While we're at it, whatever happened to Leo Mazzone? Maybe his influence in ATL was overrated, because he didn't do very much to turn around those Baltimore hurlers (well, he did get some results from Bedard before he flaked out).

Daniel Cabrera is another intimidating physical presence that would/could be a Cooper project...as long as he still has his 94-98 MPH fastball.

I'm starting to think the White Sox should pay Cooper more than Guillen or Barack Obama. He seems to be responsible for fixing almost every problem with our pitchers, not only at the MLB level, but also our top pitching prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
Daniel Cabrera is another intimidating physical presence that would/could be a Cooper project...as long as he still has his 94-98 MPH fastball.

That's the other guy I thought we be a nice target. My thinking being having a package starting with Javy and Getz (and fill in the blank(s) with possibly JD) for Cabrera and Roberts. Don't flame...it's a starting point. But if you're gonna deal with the O's...make it a type of blockbuster.

Penny isn't the 1st to be punished for partying with BA, and he won't be the last.

On a serious note,

If you could promise me a healthy Penny for a decent price I’d give him a spot as the 5th starter.

However the Penny we have seen over the last few years is anything but healthy. He's too much of a liability to put any real investment in.

Wait, so Don Cooper is now a surgeon/miracle healer? How exactly is he going to "fix" this:

http://www.insidesocal.com/dodgers/2008/08...s-mri-resu.html

The [MRI] revealed increased scar tissue in the front part of the right shoulder, which appeared to be impinging on the rotator-cuff tendon, causing inflammation and irritation.

Because that's what was wrong with him in 2008 and why he finished the season on the 60 day DL, shoulder problems. There's still a belief that Penny might need shoulder surgery in the offseason, that's why the Dodgers declined his option not because he forgot how to pitch.

Penny's option was $8.75 million. Considering the buyout was $2 million, the Dodgers were only saving $6.75 million which would be a steal if he pitched anywhere near where he did before the shoulder problems. Considering the Dodgers have a better idea than any of us about his physical condition in the shoulder, the buy out tells me they must think his regaining his form is not very likely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Are we willing to pay what Marquis got a couple of winters ago from the Cubs for Penny (3 years $21 million) or more?

No way. If he would take an incentive laden deal one year deal, fine. Maybe with some kickers that guarantee 2010 if he reaches some performance standards, but the Dodgers could have exercised the option and traded him. Obviously, there wasn't much interest at $6.75 million (assuming the Dodgers would eat the $2 million they ate) for one year. Why stretch it to 3? He's fat, lazy and injured. Maybe he's got something to prove and works hard in 2009, I have no idea about his shoulder, but it would be a mistake going multiple years.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
Penny/Pavano might be a good idea but it has been said that penny is a bad work ethic guy, which is something we dont need. Anyone know if pavano is actually healthy?

If he is, chances are it won't be for long. He's another guy it makes no sense to sign if there really is any risk taken by the team. If he's willing to work cheap with incentives, give him a shot, but no guarantees.

Edited by Dick Allen