Danks quote on election

Brian

The Danks family is really close to George and Laura Bush. Apparently, John went to Laura’s High School, and since Bush is such a big baseball guy (and used to own the Rangers) he really took to the up and coming pitching prospect. Since then they’ve just exchanged kind words, and signed baseballs, but I always thought that it was kinda cool for the POTUS to be such a big fan of the White Sox ace.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
He needs to spend more time in Illinois and less in Texas.

Nope. That crazy s*** snow and ice is something to be avoided. And Austin as about as perfect a place to be as you will find anywhere.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
The Danks family is really close to George and Laura Bush. Apparently, John went to Laura’s High School, and since Bush is such a big baseball guy (and used to own the Rangers) he really took to the up and coming pitching prospect. Since then they’ve just exchanged kind words, and signed baseballs, but I always thought that it was kinda cool for the POTUS to be such a big fan of the White Sox ace.

That sentence soon will change to, "I always thought it was kinda cool for the POTUS to be such a big fan of the White Sox". haha

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
His Facebook status...

I worked for an African-American NFL football player (wide receiver from UGA who played for the Broncos and Giants from 92-97) and he was VERY much a Republican.

Most of them wouldn't admit to not voting for Obama, but I would guess 75% of them vote Republican because the main issue they care about is taxes. Especially this last election, when Obama was very open/honest about taxing those in the $250K and above bracket at a higher rate. It would be interesting to see which players (NFL, NBA, MLB) voted, and for whom.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
You worked for Arthur Marshall? That's cool.

Nicest guy I worked with: Herschel Walker (he donated his own time to be a keynote speaker, flew down at his own cost to Augusta....)

Worst: Tie, Deion Snaders and Michael Irvin

Unexpected: Jose Guillen. He helped lead us (GreenJackets) the 1995 SAL Championship. He was already kind of a legend in the system in his teens because of his arm from RF. He could do everything but run well. He almost got kicked out of the system before he ever made it out of extended spring training and DSL ball. Not a bad guy at all, he wants to win, I got along with him really well because I was able to help him out a little bit and I speak Spanish.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
Most MLB guys are Republicans because of their tax bracket.

This is a pretty dumb statement.........How do you know? Do you talk to all the players and have thier political opinions? That's like saying all hollywood celebrities are Republicans because of their tax bracket, which obviously isn't true based on them often sharing their opinions publically.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
This is a pretty dumb statement.........How do you know? Do you talk to all the players and have thier political opinions? That's like saying all hollywood celebrities are Republicans because of their tax bracket, which obviously isn't true based on them often sharing their opinions publically.
I listened to Obama"s speech after winning the election but I heard that when he becomes president that Whitesox players will not have to pay any income taxes so many players will come to the whitesox sign for less because they won't have to pay income taxes. The whitesox will be known as "America" team" teal

QUOTE (forrestg @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
I listened to Obama"s speech after winning the election but I heard that when he becomes president that Whitesox players will not have to pay any income taxes so many players will come to the whitesox sign for less because they won't have to pay income taxes. The whitesox will be known as "America" team"

LOL

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Jim Thome had an Obama/Biden sign in his front yard.

that shocks me. but awesome.

i feel like typically baseball players are GOP because so many of them hail from conservative areas. guys like Clemens, Kent, Berkman, Bagwell, Buehrle, etc.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
that shocks me. but awesome.

i feel like typically baseball players are GOP because so many of them hail from conservative areas. guys like Clemens, Kent, Berkman, Bagwell, Buehrle, etc.

I was kind of suprised, too, until I remembered that Peoria's a big union town and his dad worked for Caterpillar.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
I worked for an African-American NFL football player (wide receiver from UGA who played for the Broncos and Giants from 92-97) and he was VERY much a Republican.

Most of them wouldn't admit to not voting for Obama, but I would guess 75% of them vote Republican because the main issue they care about is taxes. Especially this last election, when Obama was very open/honest about taxing those in the $250K and above bracket at a higher rate. It would be interesting to see which players (NFL, NBA, MLB) voted, and for whom.

Exit polls showed that 52% of the population that made 200K or more voted for Obama. Quite surprising if you ask me.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
I listened to Obama"s speech after winning the election but I heard that when he becomes president that Whitesox players will not have to pay any income taxes so many players will come to the whitesox sign for less because they won't have to pay income taxes. The whitesox will be known as "America" team" teal

Ha. That would be sweet.