2009 Inauguration

lostfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
What about separating church and state saids that Barack Obama, or any other President, can't have a prayer at their ceremony. Its not like he is forcing everyone to stand up and pray with him at gunpoint. Separation doesn't mean complete disconnect, it means it can't be forced upon the state. A person's personal preferences do not violate that.

The inauguration is a state function not a religious function. I find it completely unnecessary to perform religious ceremonies during something like this.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
Why didn't Lowery get the invocation? His was at least not complete blather.

Seriously this:

""REV LOWERY: Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say amen.

AUDIENCE: Amen!

REV. LOWERY: Say amen --

REV. LOWERY: -- and amen.

AUDIENCE: Amen!"

Totally should have lead off.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
My Senator's comments on CNN makes me realize again what an ass he is. :angry:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
What did he say?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
Basically, and to paraphrase a little, when asked about Kennedy's collapse

"Well you know we do not agree philosophically or politically, but he has been around forty years."

Bulls***. That's completely out of context.

His comments immediately before what Tex's paraphrase was "People are often surprised when I am asked who I most look up to in the Senate and I say Teddy Kennedy". Then he said what Tex said, and that's a completely different point. Let's stop the horse s*** now, ok?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
The inauguration is a state function not a religious function. I find it completely unnecessary to perform religious ceremonies during something like this.

Wow. People can't give anything a rest, can they?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)

His comments immediately before what Tex's paraphrase was "People are often surprised when I am asked who I most look up to in the Senate and I say Teddy Kennedy". Then he said what Tex said, and that's a completely different point. Let's stop the horse s*** now, ok?

wow, leaving out that part of the quote is one hell of an oversight.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
If they did a 15 minute Muslim or Hindi ritual I could only imagine the posts I'd be seeing here right now.

Waaaaaaah. Prayer! OMG!

It's the choice of the people running the ceremonies. Who cares what they do?

If they did a 15 minute Muslim or Hindi ritual I could only imagine the posts I'd be seeing here right now.

If you get elected President, you can do whatever you want to. You may get on down with your bad Hindu self.

And its Hindu (the religion), not Hindi (the language).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Waaaaaaah. Prayer! OMG!

It's the choice of the people running the ceremonies. Who cares what they do?

You're right. Maybe they can incorporate other mythical figures like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)

Sorry,

I am working and only half listening, I missed that part.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Seriously this:

""REV LOWERY: Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say amen.

REV. LOWERY: Say amen --

REV. LOWERY: -- and amen.

AUDIENCE: Amen!"

Totally should have lead off.

I would have prefererd a Rev.Wright "God Damn America" speech. would have been hilarious.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
You're right. Maybe they can incorporate other mythical figures like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

:lolhitting Faith is difficult for some people. They feel threatened and prefer to mock.

Obama has the freedom to practice whatever religion he wants to. A prayer at an inauguaration is not an endorsement of a state religion, it is the endorsement of HIS religion. There is a difference, and it is well within his rights to have that done.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
If you get elected President, you can do whatever you want to. You may get on down with your bad Hindu self.

And its Hindu (the religion), not Hindi (the language).

Or even to have none at all. I think it is pretty telling as to what people feel the interpretation is of that particular part of the constitution that every single President on any side of the spectrum has had a prayer as a part of their ceremony. You would figure even if they were Christian, if they really believed that it precluded them from having that as a part of their ceremony, they would have made it a point to have no prayer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
He was actually saying "God Ham America". He does love his bacon.

Oh, well, than that would have been inappropriate. Our country has an obesity epidemic, no need to encourage people to eat additional bacon.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)

I didn't mind it, and I sure don't mind you saying you do. But some people just can't let anything go, can they.