2009 Inauguration

lostfan

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
I wasn't specifically referring to anybody, but you are welcome. One of Obama's biggest supporters is AtHomeBoy, and he's actually quite rational in terms of his expectations for Obama. It's a rarity among that group.

Its really the other way around. Most people I see on here have pretty rational reasons why they voted the way they did, it seems.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Bolded is ridiculous. His ultra-rabid supporters are like that, of course. And I think we've all seen the reels of some of the ultra-conservative McCain/Palin supporters as well, who are similarly ignorant. To lump Obama's "general" supporters in like that is just completely innacurate.

Obama is inspiring to many, like him or not. So naturally, he will create more of those gung-ho types than other candidates. Further, those qualities ALSO brought a lot of new voters to the polls. But to say that the wingers in his stable are representative of his supporters in general? Absurd.

Obama has a lot more of the ridiculous suppoters than anybody I've ever seen. As a college student, I can tell you that at least my campus (and I'm sure MANY others) are full of them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Obama has a lot more of the ridiculous suppoters than anybody I've ever seen. As a college student, I can tell you that at least my campus (and I'm sure MANY others) are full of them.

I don't doubt that the percentage is higher among college students, who by nature will tend to be much more extreme in their support of all things they like.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Its really the other way around. Most people I see on here have pretty rational reasons why they voted the way they did, it seems.

I never said I was even talking about anybody on this board when I posted that. I said in general, and meant it. This board is usually a rational place politically, with only a few exceptions on both sides. If Obama supporters were like most people around here, I wouldn't have a problem with them. But they're not.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

Also, as you are a college student, how many other candidates have you seen? Is this not your first election as a voter?

Obama Inauguration Speech Ruined By Incessant Jackhammering

January 21, 2009 | Issue 45•04

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama's Inauguration Day address—a speech that many believed would jumpstart the healing process of an ailing nation, foster hope and goodwill across the world, and serve as the ultimate stamp on the Democrat's historic win—was ruined Tuesday by nearly two hours of nonstop jackhammering.

According to D.C. officials, the jackhammering interrupted the landmark address on 30 separate occasions and came from the nearby U.S. Botanic Garden, where it was being used to break up pavement for a new Heroes of Horticulture exhibit.

"My fellow—," began Obama, who then stopped when he and the 2.5 million citizens present, some of whom had traveled thousands of miles to experience the once-in-a-lifetime event, were startled by loud, metal-on-concrete banging. "My fell…my fell…my—."

"Is that a jackhammer?" Obama added.

Though Obama first acknowledged the incessant jackhammering with an impromptu joke, saying, "Well, I know one guy who doesn't need a job," the typically poised orator grew gradually more annoyed as it became clear that the shrill thumping was not going to stop.

Obama appeared most frustrated about halfway through the address when reverberations from the pneumatic drill set off several dozen nearby car alarms, drowning out the new president's attempt to describe his vision for America's future in a changing world.

"If the person currently operating the jackhammer can hear me, please stop," Obama said at approximately the eight-minute mark of his speech. "Seriously, please. Stop it now."

The unremitting pounding caused the first African-American president to sigh or roll his eyes a combined 17 times, most notably during an apparently eloquent passage conveying his "lifelong desire to [unify or commit] the United States to a [common goal, higher purpose, or challenge] by 2012."

During a particularly loud spell of thuds, Obama muttered, "Oh, come on."

Footage of the event shows that when the president tried to explain how perseverence and pride could help rebuild a better society for all, he was interrupted not only by the jackhammer, but by several audience members who shouted, "Speak up," "Louder," and "I can't hear you over all this jackhammering."

At one point during the address, Obama stopped talking entirely and walked off the stage for nearly five minutes. When he returned, he asked the restless crowd for calm and understanding.

"Okay, so, it looks like they're not going to stop jackhammering. We're just going to have to keep going, I guess," Obama told the massive group, many of whom had already begun walking to their cars. "I'll try to speed through it."

A transcript released by his campaign prior to the address revealed that Obama ultimately cut the speech short by six pages, omitting a section about the conflict in Afghanistan and a point-by-point explanation of his economic recovery plan.

According to historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, one of the lasting images of the 2009 presidential inauguration will be Vice President Joe Biden, seated just 20 feet behind Obama, cupping his right ear in a desperate attempt to hear what the 44th president was saying.

"Inauguration addresses have always brought us inspirational and defining moments," Goodwin said. "FDR reminded Americans that all they had to fear was fear itself. John F. Kennedy encouraged citizens to ask what they could do for their country."

"And now President Barack Obama offers his own stirring message," Goodwin continued. "'Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.'"

Those in attendance agreed that it was nearly impossible to make out a single sentence of the historic address.

"I wanted to leave the speech with a feeling that this man was a beacon of hope, that he was going to lead us out of the doldrums and into a bold new beginning," said Nathaniel Washburn, a 72-year-old African-American who brought his grandchildren to the inauguration. "But I couldn't hear a goddamn thing."

"I thought it was really, really cool," said Washburn's 7-year-old grandson, Gregory. "When I grow up, I want to be a jackhammer operator."

LINK

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Obama has the freedom to practice whatever religion he wants to. A prayer at an inauguaration is not an endorsement of a state religion, it is the endorsement of HIS religion. There is a difference, and it is well within his rights to have that done.

Yes, but where does it fit into the actual office of President? a Christian prayer was so out of place at an event like this, especially one that is trying to historically link all peoples of different races, creeds and relgions. Its simply very strange to have the Lord's Prayer when being inducted into a federal office.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I never said I was even talking about anybody on this board when I posted that. I said in general, and meant it. This board is usually a rational place politically, with only a few exceptions on both sides. If Obama supporters were like most people around here, I wouldn't have a problem with them. But they're not.

Perhaps if i sent you one of these you'd change your views. :P

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Actually I think this was the opposite. Two of Obama's biggest supporters were against the prayer being in his ceremony, while people who really didn't support him, supported his actions in this case.

Eh, I didnt vote for Obama FYI. I didnt know if you were thinking I was a big supporter or something.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Terrible. Doesn't even look like Obama.

For real.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
If it did maybe I would buy one.

I still wouldn't.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
thank you. i'm already sick of obamania.

To add, I think the supporters being referred to are the people who jumped on Obama's ship or think Obama literally has opened doors already open. For example, on the night he won, one african-american male said, "Now I can go to college." Um? It's not like this kid was 10. He was in high school. Then there was a co-worker of my girlfriend, who told her, "Us black people don't have to worry, Obama is going to give us the good life and take care of us really well." I'm pretty sure under Bush, McCain, Clinton, etc., they would not have stopped you from going to college. Then there's the actors and actresses, guys like Jay-Z, Nas, and Beyonce who are registered Republicans, supported Bush(Beyonce even performed in 2004 for him), and yet they are Obama this and Obama that because he's black and because he's going to change the country completely.

Obama is a likable guy. I think he will improve the country(as I think McCain could have as well), and I think he's an excellent historian who will learn from prior mistakes. Obama is not the saviour, not the second coming of christ, he's not going to make your house payments, make your credit card bills go away, and he's not the reason why you can now go to college. He's just one man, who will help make decisions to make the country a better place, but the expectations on him by his own supporters and setting people up for dissapointment.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
To add, I think the supporters being referred to are the people who jumped on Obama's ship or think Obama literally has opened doors already open. For example, on the night he won, one african-american male said, "Now I can go to college." Um? It's not like this kid was 10. He was in high school. Then there was a co-worker of my girlfriend, who told her, "Us black people don't have to worry, Obama is going to give us the good life and take care of us really well." I'm pretty sure under Bush, McCain, Clinton, etc., they would not have stopped you from going to college. Then there's the actors and actresses, guys like Jay-Z, Nas, and Beyonce who are registered Republicans, supported Bush(Beyonce even performed in 2004 for him), and yet they are Obama this and Obama that because he's black and because he's going to change the country completely.

Obama is a likable guy. I think he will improve the country(as I think McCain could have as well), and I think he's an excellent historian who will learn from prior mistakes. Obama is not the saviour, not the second coming of christ, he's not going to make your house payments, make your credit card bills go away, and he's not the reason why you can now go to college. He's just one man, who will help make decisions to make the country a better place, but the expectations on him by his own supporters and setting people up for dissapointment.

And THATS why he will not be able to live up to expectations and may actually hurt the future chances of african americans to become president IMO. There are simply too many people out there idolizing Obama like a God, and they will end up dissapointed when things do not change for them in their personal lives. Also since any change at all economically is going to take a decent chunk of time, and people these days have grown so accustomed to immediate fullfillment, people are going to be extremely disapointed by the results.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Then there's the actors and actresses, guys like Jay-Z, Nas, and Beyonce who are registered Republicans, supported Bush(Beyonce even performed in 2004 for him), and yet they are Obama this and Obama that because he's black and because he's going to change the country completely.

You do realize people can choose a Democratic President in one election and vote for the Republican the next time and vice versa? There were quite a few socially conservative Democrats that voted for Reagan.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Wow, I can't believe this thread turned into something bashing Obama supporters for being rabid!

I did not vote for Obama, or McCain, but I for one think its positive to have this many people actually interested in the government, the country, and the presidential office. The last time this many Americans decided to band together in somewhat unity it took a few airplanes killing innocent people to get the reaction.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
I did not vote for Obama, or McCain, but I for one think its positive to have this many people actually interested in the government, the country, and the presidential office. The last time this many Americans decided to band together in somewhat unity it took a few airplanes killing innocent people to get the reaction.

You know, frankly, being young, this is a big deal. This is a changing of the guard that matters. The country has been fighting McCarthy vs. Nixon for like 40 years, finally someone with no connection to the culture wars of the 60s, Vietnam, all that crap that got stuffed down our throats for the last many elections.

And, a president's appearance and personality can move a nation as much as policy achievements. Look at how much f* up sh** A. Jackson did, and the country loved him. The president is the representative of the nation, people look up to him/her for guidance, culturally politically other lys. So Obamas ability to inspire and get people moving is his biggest asset. There are a number of things Obama can do without government, by just asking these many people who support him.

It's hard to imagine the impact a role model like Obama could have for the black community. They haven't had many new leaders arise since the civil rights period of the 60s and 70s, and he breeds new hope and optimism, I mean, the son of that era's struggles essentially is what he represents. The first lady and daughters, could have tremendous cultural impacts.

That's what he means to the casual supporter. For policy wonks like many of us in here, he means something different. Most that support him in here do so for more pragmatic reasons.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
You do realize people can choose a Democratic President in one election and vote for the Republican the next time and vice versa? There were quite a few socially conservative Democrats that voted for Reagan.

I understand that. But why be so proud of being republican at one moment (because they want to pay less taxes is the usual reason which is a good reason since they worked for their money), but then come out of nowhere and vote for Obama. The people I listed, Jay-Z and Nas are two of my favorite rap artists, but yet, made a song about being Black Republicans, at their concerts have proudly stated their allegiance to the Republican side, and Beyonce asked to perform for Bush in 2004, then when the black presidential candidate came along, you voted for him instead of the side you were so proud of supporting, even after Bush's first term.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
I understand that. But why be so proud of being republican at one moment (because they want to pay less taxes is the usual reason which is a good reason since they worked for their money), but then come out of nowhere and vote for Obama. The people I listed, Jay-Z and Nas are two of my favorite rap artists, but yet, made a song about being Black Republicans, at their concerts have proudly stated their allegiance to the Republican side, and Beyonce asked to perform for Bush in 2004, then when the black presidential candidate came along, you voted for him instead of the side you were so proud of supporting, even after Bush's first term.

Maybe its not about sides, but more about the people running. Thats not exactly "crazy".

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
And THATS why he will not be able to live up to expectations and may actually hurt the future chances of african americans to become president IMO. There are simply too many people out there idolizing Obama like a God, and they will end up dissapointed when things do not change for them in their personal lives. Also since any change at all economically is going to take a decent chunk of time, and people these days have grown so accustomed to immediate fullfillment, people are going to be extremely disapointed by the results.

Thank you. :notworthy

My problem is not Obama becoming president. I think this year, we had two of the strongest candidates in awhile. I support Obama 100%. Most of all, I like to see people become so united and interested in government just like Rock, but my point is, a lot of these people are not going to pay attention to government in 4 years, vote for Obama again, then fade to black. I could bet anyone, you won't see the voting numbers in 2016 as you saw this year.

What if you do? The voting population will be larger, the two major parties get out the votes are stronger than ever, technology has been working in favor of the political process, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this keeps up for presidential elections.

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Oh I'm reading it. BS agreed with Rock and they get their asses jumped on. Typical buster thread ruined. It's clear some here hate the POTUS and all he stands for and what he may or may not do. On the PH board folks would be told to stay out of threads they don't have a positive contribution for. The hypocrisy is stinker than a formula diaper.

Nevermind. I thought better of it.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Maybe its not about sides, but more about the people running. Thats not exactly "crazy".

You're right, but that's the problem. People vote for who they vote for, not because of their beliefs or morals, not because of their plan of action, but because of their skin color. Keep in mind, I'm not a caucasion male either. Those are the people I have a problem with. My hope is that people aren't dissapointed with Obama, and that they continue to interest themselves in government. Go out and vote for local laws and not expect guys like Obama to save their lives.