2009 Inauguration

lostfan

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm typing from my g1 from a restaurant downtown.

I didn't get to the mall, that was basically impossible.

The energy was palpable from the TV.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
It's already on mine, lol... but feel free. I think it's perfect.

I added it to mine as well. And it is my new wallpaper. Great work, thanks.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
We do. The government does not select or establish an official faith. We are free to worship or not, as we like.

The Establishment Clause doesn't just limit the government from specifically choosing an official faith. For instance, creationism isn't allowed in science classrooms (along with the stickers they love to put on Biology books) because of the 1st Amendment.

Voluntarily* adding in "so help me god" and having a prayer at the inauguration doesn't violate it in my opinion. That is each President's choice, just as they'd be allowed to keep a Bible on their desk but a judge might not be.

*Voluntary in spirit because any politician who didn't would be instantly disliked/ distrusted by a majority of Americans.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
The energy was palpable from the TV.

I saw it on tv from a bar. As soon as he said "so help me God" and lowered his hand you could hear a thunderous cheer from several blocks away. People shouting "Mr. President, dancing in the streets.

Heres the thing, why must we have a prayer before the oath is given? Arent we trying to show that many races, creeds and religions are what make up America, and then we do a VERY Christian prayer? f***ing strange. What happened to the seperation of church and state?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Heres the thing, why must we have a prayer before the oath is given? Arent we trying to show that many races, creeds and religions are what make up America, and then we do a VERY Christian prayer? f***ing strange. What happened to the seperation of church and state?

That's what I was getting at with my earlier comment.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
What did he say?

Basically, and to paraphrase a little, when asked about Kennedy's collapse

"Well you know we do not agree philosophically or politically, but he has been around forty years."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Every major news agency has a camera FIXED on the presidential limo. It would take an attacker 2 seconds to figure out which limo heis in... what's the point of the decoy?

Maybe they are fixed on the decoy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)

What about separating church and state saids that Barack Obama, or any other President, can't have a prayer at their ceremony. Its not like he is forcing everyone to stand up and pray with him at gunpoint. Separation doesn't mean complete disconnect, it means it can't be forced upon the state. A person's personal preferences do not violate that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I felt it was a pretty awful prayer, too. Especially compared to Lowerys.

Why didn't Lowery get the invocation? His was at least not complete blather.