2009 Inauguration

lostfan

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
You're right, but that's the problem. People vote for who they vote for, not because of their beliefs or morals, not because of their plan of action, but because of their skin color. Keep in mind, I'm not a caucasion male either. Those are the people I have a problem with. My hope is that people aren't dissapointed with Obama, and that they continue to interest themselves in government. Go out and vote for local laws and not expect guys like Obama to save their lives.

I find your arguments very one dimensional. People just voted for Obama because he was black. But why? Why did they just vote for Obama for his skin color, and not for other black candidates who have run for president. Do people really expect Obama to save their lives? Or are they just celebrating what they finally is true representation in this government. Your statements only work at a very basic level, and ignore previous history, cultural contexts and really undermine the motives of the voters you are trying to profile. I'm sure they would love to paint you with a broad brush too.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
You're right, but that's the problem. People vote for who they vote for, not because of their beliefs or morals, not because of their plan of action, but because of their skin color. Keep in mind, I'm not a caucasion male either. Those are the people I have a problem with. My hope is that people aren't dissapointed with Obama, and that they continue to interest themselves in government. Go out and vote for local laws and not expect guys like Obama to save their lives.

To be honest though, I feel that the blind dedication to one's party or "group" is the most fundamental problem with our political system today. It shouldnt be an "us" vs "them" environment like it is today. I think a President's job to the public is to inspire and involve, which is something that Obama does very well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
I find your arguments very one dimensional. People just voted for Obama because he was black. But why? Why did they just vote for Obama for his skin color, and not for other black candidates who have run for president. Do people really expect Obama to save their lives? Or are they just celebrating what they finally is true representation in this government. Your statements only work at a very basic level, and ignore previous history, cultural contexts and really undermine the motives of the voters you are trying to profile. I'm sure they would love to paint you with a broad brush too.

Perhaps, I should've thrown in "there are those who only voted for him because he is black." I'm not naive enough to believe everyone or even 50% of his supporters are supporters because he is black. I would say 9% at most. But you cannot be naive enough to believe, there isn't that population that voted for him because he is black and they expect him to save the black population. And Obama is different in the regards that I have already posted, i.e. "The co-worker stating she doesn't have to do anything for the rest of her life because Obama is going to take care of her people, or the teenager stating now he could go to college because Obama is president."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
To be honest though, I feel that the blind dedication to one's party or "group" is the most fundamental problem with our political system today. It shouldnt be an "us" vs "them" environment like it is today. I think a President's job to the public is to inspire and involve, which is something that Obama does very well.

Therefore, everyone should be an independant! I'm serious and would be happy with screwing the whole party system.

But what if the kid that said he can go to college isn't expecting people to take his statement at face value. Maybe he realized the value of education from obama's life, that blacks really can climb in the world with an education. Maybe he believes Obama will help get more young people to college with his service deals. Again, it could just be that seeing a man like him in a position like that means, at that basic level, anyone can make something of themselves. Obama is better than Kennedy to relate to, his Ivy League education first began at a much less prestigious college. He isn't a Kennedy or a Bush or a Rockefeller or anything like that. So his success means things to people. And the insistence that people are stupid for thinking Obama can fix everything isn't really painting many people accurately. I think you are underestimating just how much it means to people to feel counted, thought of, represented, and there were a great many americans who did not feel that until now. And I'm talking about more than for racial reasons. Policy be-damned, that's why Obama can be successful in things that have nothing to do with policy.

I watched the oath again, and at first I thought it was Obama that blew it both times. Now what it looks like what happened is Obama interrupted Roberts on the first line, which seemed to throw Roberts off, and Roberts gave him the wrong words for the second line. Obama paused after a couple of words and nodded at Roberts to give the correct words.

Heres the thing, why must we have a prayer before the oath is given? Arent we trying to show that many races, creeds and religions are what make up America, and then we do a VERY Christian prayer? f***ing strange. What happened to the seperation of church and state?

imagine the outcry if it was a muslim prayer.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
I watched the oath again, and at first I thought it was Obama that blew it both times. Now what it looks like what happened is Obama interrupted Roberts on the first line, which seemed to throw Roberts off, and Roberts gave him the wrong words for the second line. Obama paused after a couple of words and nodded at Roberts to give the correct words.

Obama paused to see if Roberts was going to correct himself. That was kind of funny, actually.

What did you think, being there (or did I miss that in the thread?)

Funny moment indeed. :lolhitting

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)

I think this is really meant for nite and not you bmags but I would say a very small fraction of the voting population voted for Obama purely because he was black - say 2-3% at most. The remaining black people would have voted for any white Democrat and it makes no difference in this election cycle.

Well we're all screwed. It's an obviously a sign of impending mistakes and doom.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
But what if the kid that said he can go to college isn't expecting people to take his statement at face value. Maybe he realized the value of education from obama's life, that blacks really can climb in the world with an education. Maybe he believes Obama will help get more young people to college with his service deals. Again, it could just be that seeing a man like him in a position like that means, at that basic level, anyone can make something of themselves. Obama is better than Kennedy to relate to, his Ivy League education first began at a much less prestigious college. He isn't a Kennedy or a Bush or a Rockefeller or anything like that. So his success means things to people. And the insistence that people are stupid for thinking Obama can fix everything isn't really painting many people accurately. I think you are underestimating just how much it means to people to feel counted, thought of, represented, and there were a great many americans who did not feel that until now. And I'm talking about more than for racial reasons. Policy be-damned, that's why Obama can be successful in things that have nothing to do with policy.

That's a stretch. I could see if he said, "Obama has inspired me to do things I didn't think I could achieve." or "Obama is an example of what happens from hard work - we are able to achieve anything, regardless of race." Instead, he said, "Now I can go to college."

I'm not saying this is representative of everyone, not even the majority, but there is a huge amount of the population that do believe this, again from 5-9%. Again, I am behind Obama and I think he is such a strong candidate and I wont' be dissapointed in what he does because almost anything is an improvement over this current regime. I'm speaking of people who expect Obama to part the red sea.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
imagine the outcry if it was a muslim prayer.

Someone else said that and it would have gotten no outrage from me. If he would have bowed to the porcelin god right there on stage, his inauguration, his choice on what he wants to do. That was the point being made all along for those who like to play thread police.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
Obama paused to see if Roberts was going to correct himself. That was kind of funny, actually.

What did you think, being there (or did I miss that in the thread?)

I wasn't close enough to see it, I was a part of the sea of people, I was watching it on a TV in a bar and reading lips. I was thinking "wtf is there an extra line for, I'm confused?" I (and the crowd) could see "So help me God" clearly though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Funny moment indeed. :lolhitting

lol, yeah. Chalk it up to it being the first time for both of them I guess.

Everyone's always so threatened by Christianity.

Last I checked, the radical Muslims are far ahead of the radical Christians in the body count.

Relax. No pastors are coming to your home and forcing a bible down your throat.

Mute the TV if you don't like prayer.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Someone else said that and it would have gotten no outrage from me. If he would have bowed to the porcelin god right there on stage, his inauguration, his choice on what he wants to do. That was the point being made all along for those who like to play thread police.

Many of the same people that REALLY liked Rick Warren giving a speech would have been enraged.

Many of the same people who are completely enraged that there was a religious element would have been fine (hilariously enough) with an Islamic service.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
I'm not saying this is representative of everyone, not even the majority, but there is a huge amount of the population that do believe this, again from 5-9%.

Watch out Nate Silver!

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
That's a stretch. I could see if he said, "Obama has inspired me to do things I didn't think I could achieve." or "Obama is an example of what happens from hard work - we are able to achieve anything, regardless of race." Instead, he said, "Now I can go to college."

I'm not saying this is representative of everyone, not even the majority, but there is a huge amount of the population that do believe this, again from 5-9%. Again, I am behind Obama and I think he is such a strong candidate and I wont' be dissapointed in what he does because almost anything is an improvement over this current regime. I'm speaking of people who expect Obama to part the red sea.

I admit I have some dumbass friends, fortunately none of them are quite this dumb.

When we were listening to Obama's speech in DC a black guy said "a black man is the boss now, no more excuses fellas, time to step it up." I've been hearing a lot of comments like that actually between people posting excited messages.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
I think this is really meant for nite and not you bmags but I would say a very small fraction of the voting population voted for Obama purely because he was black - say 2-3% at most. The remaining black people would have voted for any white Democrat and it makes no difference in this election cycle.

Or not have voted. And this just doesn't include "black" people. Minorities in general(which I am), believe Obama will solve their money problems, or social problems. And kap, those remaining people who would have voted Democratic, probably would not have voted at all. Not just black people, a ton of people.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)

Last I checked, the radical Muslims are far ahead of the radical Christians in the body count.

I was threatened by Rick Warren's feeble attempt at a invocation. That was so horrible.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)

But there is an equally uninteresting percentage of the population that may not have voted for him for reasons nothing to do with ideology.

And nitetrain, considering how basic a level your arguments are, I wouldn't be surprised if you went back and asked those people "why", they came up with answers that surprised you.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)

Nobody is trying to be against and afraid of Christianity nor its crazies. I just feel like faith and the Church is very out of place in an event where a Federal official who represents all races, creeds and religions is being sworn in. I mean, isnt it a BIT weird that there was almost a mini religious service right before a civic ceremony was held? It just doesnt belong there.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Or not have voted. And this just doesn't include "black" people. Minorities in general(which I am), believe Obama will solve their money problems, or social problems. And kap, those remaining people who would have voted Democratic, probably would not have voted at all. Not just black people, a ton of people.

I don't know about that. McCain, in a losing effort, still got a hell of a lot of votes. I just think that this was one of those elections where people felt like they had a choice for the first time in a long time. I may not agree with Obama, but I respect his position and he ran an excellent campaign.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
I admit I have some dumbass friends, fortunately none of them are quite this dumb.

When we were listening to Obama's speech in DC a black guy said "a black man is the boss now, no more excuses fellas, time to step it up." I've been hearing a lot of comments like that actually between people posting excited messages.

Ha! Actually I experienced something of that nature when a lady wasnt allowed to ride the CTA bus because she had forgotten her card and she mumbled that this wouldnt be the case when Obama takes charge.