Sox organizational outlook from MiLB.com

scenario

"I really like the way are minor leaguers are progressing. We've seen significant improvements sinch the Ozzie era began. I mean With a potential AA lineup of Price, Allen, Mercedes, Viciedo,, Beckham, Danks, Shelby. Gatrell, and Castillo is their anyway the Barons actually lose next year? It's stuff like this i love, we finally have a draft class that is deservedly being fast tracked.

Good stuff. One thing I got out of this is I'm kind of disappointed in the developement of Silverio so far. I really had some high hopes for him. Hopefully it's just been an learning adjustment. Can't say I'm shocked by his age being questioned. Sox dished out some decent quiche for this kid to if I remember correctly.

The other:

Carlos Torres, RHP: Taken out of Kansas State in the 15th round of the 2004 Draft, Torres' out pitch is a plus cutter that could take him to the big leagues in 2009. He was 9-5 with a 3.20 ERA in 101 innings this year, fanning 93 while walking 29.

Sorry Lisa.... Not. Even. Close.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
The other:

Sorry Lisa.... Not. Even. Close.

OK, then what does he have? Is he just getting low level hitters out with offspeed junk or what.

Also, it's great to hear that Shelby 3 has such a strong work ethic, he's obviously got the physical skills. He could be Chris Young v. 1.0 for us. Not sure what his defense looks like but he definitely has the speed and the power. He looks to have a little better contact skills than Young with the higher average but much like CY he does strike out a lot. Still, nice to see that we've got a CF in the system with real star potential.

Good stuff. Our system was pretty damn barren last off-season, and while it's still not great, you can definitely see we're beginning to build it back up. This past year's draft really turned out some guys who had very good 1st seasons as professionals.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 03:41 AM)
OK, then what does he have? Is he just getting low level hitters out with offspeed junk or what.

Also, it's great to hear that Shelby 3 has such a strong work ethic, he's obviously got the physical skills. He could be Chris Young v. 1.0 for us. Not sure what his defense looks like but he definitely has the speed and the power. He looks to have a little better contact skills than Young with the higher average but much like CY he does strike out a lot. Still, nice to see that we've got a CF in the system with real star potential.

Shelby doesn't have Young's defensive skills or power. He's a good prospect, but from everything I've read it looks like he's a tweener. Had he been able to stick at 2B it would be a different story.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 04:10 AM)
Good stuff. Our system was pretty damn barren last off-season, and while it's still not great, you can definitely see we're beginning to build it back up. This past year's draft really turned out some guys who had very good 1st seasons as professionals.

True. I'm surprised Nevin Griffith, Steven Upchurch, and Charlie Shirek didn't get any mention while crap like McCulloch did.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 03:27 AM)
Who the heck is Lisa Winston?

IMO one of MLB.com's best writers.

Generally very thorough.

This article isn't very deep... but it's not supposed to be. It's an overview.

She's written some great articles about prospects, including Sox players, in the past.

I seek her stuff out because it's consistently good.

Edited by scenario