Beckham 5 for 5 with 2HRs

winninguglyin83

huge, huge, huge day for Gordon Beckham in AFL

Two homers, a triple and two singles.

5 for 5 with seven RBis. Also scored five runs.

Only downer is that he was DH, not SS or second baseman.

Cole Armstrong is having a huge mini-season out there. He had three hits and launched his sixth home run.

Jordan Danks went 0 for 5. Poreda did not pitch.

Here is the link to the box. :

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?si...scowin_peswin_1

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)

Cole Armstrong is having a huge mini-season out there. He had three hits and launched his sixth home run.

I just saw read the article and was going to post it in PHT but thought I better check here first. Good news. I wonder what level the Sox will play him. Think AA is too much too soon ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
I just saw read the article and was going to post it in PHT but thought I better check here first. Good news. I wonder what level the Sox will play him. Think AA is too much too soon ?

Not at all. I'd be pretty surprised if Beckham didn't start at Birmingham.

The AFL is considered an 'elite' talent league.

The fact that he is excelling here this soon is a very good sign.

I think (my opinion) that he'll start the year in Birmingham and has a good shot of being in Charlotte before year end.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)

The system is getting much stronger and they'll have a plethora of picks. I'm really liking what the new regime is doing and I think Buddy Bell commanding the organizational viewpoints down in the minors is a really good thing (I love having baseball people taking care of that end of things...and a very good baseball person at that). The Sox made the playoffs but I honestly think the best is yet to come with Kenny making some more good moves and a nice little core of young players being ready in the next couple years (to team up with a nice group of young major leaguers they already have in Quentin/Ramirez/Danks/Floyd/Richard).

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
The AFL is considered an 'elite' talent league.

The fact that he is excelling here this soon is a very good sign.

I think (my opinion) that he'll start the year in Birmingham and has a good shot of being in Charlotte before year end.

It is still very early, but I'm starting to think he'll be penciled in as the opening day starter a season from now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
The system is getting much stronger and they'll have a plethora of picks. I'm really liking what the new regime is doing and I think Buddy Bell commanding the organizational viewpoints down in the minors is a really good thing (I love having baseball people taking care of that end of things...and a very good baseball person at that).

Would you say that the Sox minor leagues could be known as the "Buddy System"? :)

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Possibly at either 2B or 3B, depending on how Getz/Nix and Fields do.

I still think it'll be 2B. I'm curious as to if they're considering him at 3rd. If that was the case..why no time there in the AFL? Speaking of 3rd...Brett Wallace is still NOT a good 3rd baseman. I know his position is occupied by Pujols right now...but I think they should give Wallace time at 1st where he played his entire time at ASU before his senior year. He's just not very smooth over at 3rd...like a bull in a china shop.

Gordon could very well be determining what they're going to do at 2B this season (eliminating going after guys like Roberts IMO) if they think he'll be ready by 2010. btw...he turns a damn nice DP from 2nd from what I've seen.

Edited by Wanne