The indoctrination starts already

EvilMonkey

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
Pretty much one person in the whole thread has said that. The rest of people involved in his the discussion have been exactly what you are talking about. I would actually argue this thread is exactly what has been missing in political disscussions for the most part. Instead of everyone taking the discussion to the party platform talking points, there has been some great give and take of the issues by 95% of the people involved here. I think you are unfairly generalizing an entire thread based on one person.

So we have to wait until January 20, 2009 to discuss anything he is talking about? I don't buy that for a second. I think it is totally fair to talk about anything Obama has proposed up to this point. He is our President-Elect after all. He is the only one whose policy thoughts really matter anymore.

I agree with what you're saying here, but in my first post I was responding directly to Alpha. My point wasn't to say that it doesn't make sense to have a discussion over the issue, just that it doesn't make sense to jump all over Obama at this point.

And sorry Alpha, I don't think you're being reasonable.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
Pretty much one person in the whole thread has said that. The rest of people involved in his the discussion have been exactly what you are talking about. I would actually argue this thread is exactly what has been missing in political disscussions for the most part. Instead of everyone taking the discussion to the party platform talking points, there has been some great give and take of the issues by 95% of the people involved here. I think you are unfairly generalizing an entire thread based on one person.

My thoughts exactly. This is what I like about the Buster, and I think the fact that we are working over the possibilities is a great thing.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
A. community service, required classes and roughly $5000

B. community service, required classes and roughly $5000

A. is a DUI

B. enrolling in college in Obamas America

Just the small innaccuracies of...

A. DUI forces you to PAY, and a scholarship pays YOU

B. It is NOT MANDATORY

But yeah, other than that, they are the same.

you can't force people to do charity. this is just stupid.

the best part is you know that a lot of these 'charity' organizations will be basically Democrat political operations. forcing kids to run around putting Democrat yard signs all over town and crap like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
Just the small innaccuracies of...

A. DUI forces you to PAY, and a scholarship pays YOU

B. It is NOT MANDATORY

But yeah, other than that, they are the same.

:lolhitting

you can't force people to do charity. this is just stupid.

It's not charity -- its community service. Plenty of high schools already have community service requirements. Where's the uproar over that?

the best part is you know that a lot of these 'charity' organizations will be basically Democrat political operations. forcing kids to run around putting Democrat yard signs all over town and crap like that.

No, I don't know, and neither do you. You have no idea what the guidelines would be.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
It's not charity -- its community service. Plenty of high schools already have community service requirements. Where's the uproar over that?

I went to Catholic school and had to do community service, but thats a private institution which students choose to go to (or parents decide to send kids). Big difference from a public institution.

No, I don't know, and neither do you. You have no idea what the guidelines would be.

i know the Democrats, and this is the exact type of thing they would do.

also, if the Republicans were doing this the same people who support this would be in an uproar.

Edited by mr_genius

My understanding of this based on the campaign is that X (# of service hrs.) is required to receive Y (college scholarship or tax credits, or ???). Since Y (the incentive) will likely be a compromise between the Obama White House and the 111th Congress, it has not been placed on the change.gov site. At this point the incentives have not been determined, but requirements will be necessary to receive these incentives.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
also, if the Republicans were doing this the same people who support this would be in an uproar.

McCain had similar plans IIRC, they both placed a heavy emphasis on national service.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 01:35 AM)
I went to Catholic school and had to do community service, but thats a private institution which students choose to go to (or parents decide to send kids). Big difference from a public institution.

i know the Democrats, and this is the exact type of thing they would do.

I can tell you that my public high school required a community service stint to graduate. I helped out at a Kids' After School Program. Other students volunteered at hospitals, nursing homes...

I want to say it was like 20 hours, but I don't recall.

How about schools put emphasis on stuff like, I don't know, MATH OR SCIENCE.

Maybe get the fundamentals down first, then add stuff. How about a choice (democrats always talk about how they are pro-choice); the student can do community service or additional education such as career specific learning. Either could result in $4000 tuition breaks.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
How about schools put emphasis on stuff like, I don't know, MATH OR SCIENCE.

Maybe get the fundamentals down first, then add stuff. How about a choice (democrats always talk about how they are pro-choice); the student can do community service or additional education such as career specific learning. Either could result in $4000 tuition breaks.

Its like you said, if the shoe was on the other foot they would be up in arms. Theres no way theyre going to admit an Obama plan is bad.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
Its like you said, if the shoe was on the other foot they would be up in arms. Theres no way theyre going to admit an Obama plan is bad.

So what exactly is the plan? Do you have all the specifics?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
So basically, this is a plan to make students required to do the same punishment handed down to criminals? Sounds good to me, Im done with school.

Won't happen. People won't get off their butts. They expect the government to just hand them everything. You'll be able to stay in school and get them sweet government checks.

And criminals generally do not help in classrooms, coach sports in youth leagues, and other avenues for service to their communities. Just ask Fraternity members who do community service as part of their commitment to their frat. But, hey if it makes you feel like a criminal, just sit there and laugh at the do gooders and enjoy that handout. :headbang

Forced volunteerism is an oxymoron in my opinion, however I do think that there are people out there who would LOVE to volunteer and simply don't know how to start in order to do so. If nothing else, the Obama administration seems like it will make it easier for those who want to donate their time to do so, and that's a good thing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Apparently they are now removing the word 'require' from the website and using more friendly terms like 'encourage'.

That's OK we can still make him look bad. All McCain supporters need to start yelling

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

He can't stick to a plan for 2 days without bending to the wind! Must have been some negative poll data.

I also heard we all better join the NRA because he's going to take away our guns his first week. Evidently he has eliminated Congress and the Courts as well. ;)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
That's OK we can still make him look bad. All McCain supporters need to start yelling

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

He can't stick to a plan for 2 days without bending to the wind! Must have been some negative poll data.

I also heard we all better join the NRA because he's going to take away our guns his first week. Evidently he has eliminated Congress and the Courts as well. ;)

If he gets to appoint any Supremes, he can certainly start down that road. Besides, he doesn't have to wait for that. BTAF has the power to institute regulation that don't need to go thru congress regarding firearms manufacturing and distribution, so a few well placed individuals there can find a way to curtail a majority of the 'scary' firearms thru regulation, resulting in a defacto ban on certain styles of guns without having to try and pass any laws.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

FLIP FLOPPER!

I'll bet Barack reads Soxtalk in his freetime, you know as the worlds most famous Sox fan, and he saw our debate so he decided to change his policy.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
If he gets to appoint any Supremes, he can certainly start down that road. Besides, he doesn't have to wait for that. BTAF has the power to institute regulation that don't need to go thru congress regarding firearms manufacturing and distribution, so a few well placed individuals there can find a way to curtail a majority of the 'scary' firearms thru regulation, resulting in a defacto ban on certain styles of guns without having to try and pass any laws.

If he gets to appoint any Supremes, they'll be liberals he's replacing with more liberals.

Change.gov does list making the AWB permanent, though. It's under the urban crime section.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)

Exactly! Obama will make more changes, more seismic shifts in America than any other President in history. And unlike Bush with his faith based initiatives, unlike Clinton with health care, Obama alone has the power to make change. His stuff will happen. His stuff is inevitable. So just accept the change, we are powerless to fight. Everything in America will change.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
I'll bet Barack reads Soxtalk in his freetime, you know as the worlds most famous Sox fan, and he saw our debate so he decided to change his policy.

^^^

this is obviously what happened. i approve of Barack's decision to go along with our suggestions.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
Won't happen. People won't get off their butts. They expect the government to just hand them everything. You'll be able to stay in school and get them sweet government checks.

And criminals generally do not help in classrooms, coach sports in youth leagues, and other avenues for service to their communities. Just ask Fraternity members who do community service as part of their commitment to their frat. But, hey if it makes you feel like a criminal, just sit there and laugh at the do gooders and enjoy that handout. :headbang

What is that supposed to mean?