The indoctrination starts already

EvilMonkey

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
How is someone who is in college and working their ass off to pay for it going to find an extra 100 hours to work for free?

The work would be in exchange for a $4000 credit. Where are you making $40/ hour to pay for your school?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:47 AM)
How is someone who is in college and working their ass off to pay for it going to find an extra 100 hours to work for free?

If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, then you won't, and it's not even an issue so I don't see what there is to complain about.

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)

Two hours per week? Can you coach a little league team? Then you have it covered. Help at the Boy's and Girl's Clubs once a week, done. When you find the community service project you have a passion for, it's really easy. Imagine if drinking in bars and talking to cute girls was community service, how many hours would the average college male have each year?

Something for everyone, rich and poor, Dem and GOP . . .

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Margaret Mead

Service to others is the payment you make for your space here on earth. Mohammed Ali

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke, British statesman and orator

Everyone can be great because anyone can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't even have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve... You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The magnitude of our social problems will require that all citizens and institutions make a commitment to volunteering as a way of life and as a primary opportunity to create needed change.

George Romney, former Michigan governor

No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it provides, it can never take the place of volunteers.

Ronald Reagan

Throughout my life, I've seen the difference that volunteering efforts can make in people's lives. I know the personal value of service as a local volunteer.

Jimmy CarterWe make a living by what we do, but we make a life by what we give.

Winston Churchill

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it for someone else.

Benjamin Franklin

When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Volunteering is hard. It does take away from TV, video games, socializing, studying, cleaning the house, and the myriad of things we do. But sports league end when volunteers dry up. Animals are not rescued, oceans remain polluted, literacy loses, hunger increases, school events fail. But hey, those are correct who say they have no time and only want to do something if they get paid. It takes a special kind of person to coach a bunch of third graders in baseball, and not everyone could or should do that. If you really want a paycheck for helping out like that, stay home, ride the back of the bus, you are not the role model that these kids need.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
lol I missed the "for free" part. How in the hell is $40/hour free? If you worked at that rate for a full year then isn't that damn near $100K?

Just over $80,000. 52 week X 40 hours = 2080 hours. Use 2,000 as a guide when calculating $/hr into annual. HR tiop from the pros when interviewing candidates.

Never before has man had such a great capacity to control his own environment, to end hunger, poverty and disease, to banish illiteracy and human misery. We have the power to make the best generation of mankind in the history of the world. President John F. Kennedy

f*** that, we have no time, we want to get paid, make criminals do it, etc. etc. . . . Some Soxtalkers

Jesus guys. For one I am not in college, I just object to forced volunteering as it seems to be an obvious contradiction. I guess he has backed off of this idea, I misread it, or it was misstated in the first post. I am not complaining because I am being forced to do anything. I just think the government should stay out of people's lives.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I just think the government should stay out of people's lives.

You would be one of the few that truly believe this if by the government staying out you mean no student financial aid. The financial aid is the ruse that the government is using to "get into people's lives". Once someone accepts that $4,000 Pell Grant, the government is asking them to give something in return.

So people could keep the government out of their lives by going to a private school and turning down any financial aid. Or they could work a job and earn that $4,000. Plenty of nice options.

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Jesus guys. For one I am not in college, I just object to forced volunteering as it seems to be an obvious contradiction. I guess he has backed off of this idea, I misread it, or it was misstated in the first post. I am not complaining because I am being forced to do anything. I just think the government should stay out of people's lives.

The program is ridiculous. Basically forcing kids that don't have rich parents to do community service work or work for their local Democrat (which you know will happen; stuff like ACORN will be considered preferred service :P ) if they want a college grant.

I would much rather have kids learn valuable skills to get grants. Then maybe we won't have to bail them out with hand outs when they graduate in 4 years.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
You would be one of the few that truly believe this if by the government staying out you mean no student financial aid. The financial aid is the ruse that the government is using to "get into people's lives". Once someone accepts that $4,000 Pell Grant, the government is asking them to give something in return.

So people could keep the government out of their lives by going to a private school and turning down any financial aid. Or they could work a job and earn that $4,000. Plenty of nice options.

The financial aid incentive wasn't always there. And as all of you are so fond to point out, this isn't written in stone yet and may not be there at all when he finally brings it to fruition. The more vocal of the anti-war libs (again, not on here) have been yelling for years that all the 'incentives' we give people to join the armed forces isn't really a 'choice', because poor people have no options and have to take it. How is this any different (assuming the tax idea actually stays in the proposed plan) if looked at thru those eyes? Again, thru that thinking, the poor people don't really have a choice, they have to take the money, and the strings attached to it.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
The program is ridiculous. Basically forcing kids that don't have rich parents to do community service work or work for their local Democrat (which you know will happen; stuff like ACORN will be considered preferred service) if they want a college grant.

I would much rather have kids learn valuable skills to get grants. Then maybe we won't have to bail them out with hand outs when they graduate in 4 years.

By your logic, the US government is "forcing" poor kids to join the military, and "forcing" kids to pay interest on students loans, and "forcing" kids to to play college sports to get their degree.

I'm sorry but I don't see how you can stretch financial assistance for college in exchange for something as "forcing" anything.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
By your logic, the US government is "forcing" poor kids to join the military, and "forcing" kids to pay interest on students loans, and "forcing" kids to to play college sports to get their degree.

I'm sorry but I don't see how you can stretch financial assistance for college in exchange for something as "forcing" anything.

This program does nothign but put an additional burden on low income students. It's not educational as far as my standards are concerned.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
This program does nothign but put an additional burden on low income students. It's not educational as far as my standards are concerned.

The possibility of a $40/hour job for a college student is an additional burden? As far as I'm concerned, the only negative I can even stretch to is that the US can't afford to be helping everyone right now with the deficit. The program itself, to me, is fantastic, and I see nothing forced or burdensome about it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
The possibility of a $40/hour job for a college student is an additional burden? As far as I'm concerned, the only negative I can even stretch to is that the US can't afford to be helping everyone right now with the deficit. The program itself, to me, is fantastic, and I see nothing forced or burdensome about it.

Well I guess if this is additional grant money it isn't a burden. I see your point.

The program is still terrible as far as I can tell. It accomplishes nothing, just another waste. If we are giving out grants it shouldn't be based on who works for some government approved charity/political operation. No thanks.

Count me out. I'm not paying for this. But I'm a elitist jerk that thinks kids should be educated to a decent world standard; passing out flyers for 'rock the vote' doesn't help make our country stronger.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)

How does it put a burden on them? It RELIEVES some of the financial burden of their parents at the start, and themselves by not having to pay back a monetary, plus interest, loan.