Twins' targets: Blake/Atkins, Hardy/Escobar

caulfield12

Joe Christensen has an update on the Twins' search for help on the left side of the infield. Minnesota is one of seven teams interested in Casey Blake, according to Blake's agent Jim McDowell.

Blake hit .274/.345/.463 last year for the Indians and Dodgers this year. He's been released twice by the Twins, but he could come back to stabilize them at third base.

Christensen has sources who suggest that the Twins are also targeting Yunel Escobar and J.J. Hardy in trades. If no deal is made, they could re-sign Nick Punto, who played 61 games at shortstop in 2008.

The Twins are also interested in trading for Garret Atkins, who's six years younger than Blake and a better hitter.

from mlbtraderumors.com

PS Wonder if the White Sox are one of those six other teams? Maybe we'll hear more soon. I guess he could still be the "stopgap" or back-up move to go with Viciedo.

Edited by caulfield12

Delmon Young and Perkins/Blackburn...

They could also make the deal Cuddyer and Perkins/Blackburn.

If the Braves wanted another player, maybe someone like Brendan Harris or Nick Punto (if they make an offer to him)...if they don't, I can actually see KW swooping in to put him in the utility role. As long as he promises to stop sliding headfirst into 1B when he's out by about 10-15 feet on routine grounders.

Finally, they have a lot of depth in LH relievers with the emergence of Breslow and Mijares...then again, they'll probably let Reyes and Guardado both walk. Will be interesting to see if they offer arbitration to either player, and if either player accepts it.

I just thank the Twins for trading Garza and Bartlett. I think they would have had us if they didn't make that deal, and holding Liriano another 4-6 weeks in favor of Livan Hernandez.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (frankiethefixer @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 04:07 AM)
i really don't see how the twins could get Yunel Escobar the braves are don't want to include him in the peavy talks how could the twins get him?

The Braves have no problem dealing Escobar. It's Jake Peavy who doesn't want the Braves to deal Escobar.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
I could see the Twins signing Cabrera... but you know if they do, Cabrera is gonna bat .300+ and just be a pain in our ass.

Still don't see why he absolutely had to be let go... Unless he was looking for eleventy years at an asanine price, and assuming we find a leadoff man this offseason, I'd rather see this Orlando in the infield hitting second about 100X more than the other one everyone seems to think we're targeting. Griff came and went, this was a natural process, but with Swish out and Uribe all but so, why not throw some money at a dude who will hit, field at an average clip, hates losing and won't go out of his way to hide it? Whoever we plant at second is essentially OCab's replacement, and I'm scared to think of how that will end up. No thank you to either Hudson or Getz, but I have some salt ready for my words which I would be glad to sprinkle. I can't see how either of the two would replace Cabrera, and I hated the guy, actually thought he did a pretty good Cintron impersonation towards the start of the year. Him coming alive seemed to coincide with the Sox taking that extended run in 1st place.

Cabrera wore out his welcome right away. And, seeing as how the organization wants Alexei to take over at SS, his presence is really not necessary.

I found him to be an OK player too, but if the organization feels Alexei can handle SS, why not bring in another player who could be better at 2B?

In that regard, I'd be perfectly fine with Orlando Hudson.

www.startribune.com/sports/twins/34851324.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqCP:iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

An update ...

"The Twins haven't made a formal offer to free agent third baseman Casey Blake, but the sides have made progress discussing the framework of a potential deal -- length and general salary range -- his agent, Jim McDowell, said Thursday.

McDowell said eight teams expressed interest in Blake but only four including the Twins have discussed a contract.

'One of the things that is so attractive about Minnesota is he knows the area, he knows the stadium, he knows the people," McDowell said. "All the feedback that I get from him about the Twins is positive.'"