Details of the Peavy trade negotiations...

caulfield12

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Sounds like Cubs are going to get him, as the Padres would rather have a surplus of mediocre pitchers than actually get future studs. I'm convinced that Hendry has incriminating evidence on some of these GMs.

He has to. This really pisses me off. He got aramis ramirez and lofton, for one year, for nothing. He got Derrek Lee, one of the best offensive 1bs in the national league for f-ing Hee Sop Choi. Also, the Rich Harden deal i found suspect. Even though hes not always been healthy for who they gave up that was a steal. Gallagher is trash and they would have given Murton away for a bag of bats and Patterson may just be corey 2.0. Id say the cubs are second only to the indians in the ultimate fleecing in trades.

Edited by TCQ

Small market teams probably like helping the Cubs out because they know the more jerseys the Cubs sell, the more money they'll pocket through revenue sharing.

Honestly I have no idea what else they'd be thinking. There is not one player in the Cubs minor league system and only a couple players on their Major League team that I'd rather have than Yunel Escobar alone. Add a CF in Schaffer or Hernandez, who are again better than anything the Cubs would give up aside from maybe Vitters, and Atlanta is offering more on top of that? Oh, I forgot how AWESOME Sean Marshall is. And man, that Ronny Cedeno is gonna be so good he's going to make Cesar Izturis look like Rey Ordonez! And Felix Pie?!?! GTFO! That guy is gonna hit .240 all over this b****! Man, what a deal...

I just don't understand how Hendry makes other teams take his scrap heap for dynamite talent... Maybe not scrap heap, but Pie hasn't proved anything in 2 seasons, Marshall is nothing special and Ronny Cedeno just sucks. Ofcourse the main piece won't waive his no trade clause but im sure they'll just pick another prospect out of the hat.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Small market teams probably like helping the Cubs out because they know the more jerseys the Cubs sell, the more money they'll pocket through revenue sharing.

Honestly I have no idea what else they'd be thinking. There is not one player in the Cubs minor league system and only a couple players on their Major League team that I'd rather have than Yunel Escobar alone. Add a CF in Schaffer or Hernandez, who are again better than anything the Cubs would give up aside from maybe Vitters, and Atlanta is offering more on top of that? Oh, I forgot how AWESOME Sean Marshall is. And man, that Ronny Cedeno is gonna be so good he's going to make Cesar Izturis look like Rey Ordonez! And Felix Pie?!?! GTFO! That guy is gonna hit .240 all over this b****! Man, what a deal...

Btw obviously i have no way to prove this but i trust my buddy and he tells me he has a cousin in cali that use to blaze with vitters in high school...funny story

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Sounds like Cubs are going to get him, as the Padres would rather have a surplus of mediocre pitchers than actually get future studs. I'm convinced that Hendry has incriminating evidence on some of these GMs.

For what it's worth, just this past Thursday on a Madison radio interview, Keith Law was so angry about the reports that the Cubs were the favorites to get Peavy, he said it "made him embarrassed" to be in sports journalism. He said there was no way that what they were offering would be enough.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/...dM%20hr%203.mp3

I agree it'll be highway robbery if they're able to land Peavy for that boatload of garbage they're serving up. But does anybody think Peavy really makes them a better team? I mean think about it. Instead of 97 maybe they win 98 games next year? And that's assuming they get the same exact years they got from guys like Dempster, Derosa and Soto. Certainly not a guarantee, especially Dempster. They still lack a CF and RF. Their 57527023705473 billion dollar LF is regressing every year. They've still got no left-handed hitters worth a damn. Their bullpen is suspect. And they might lose Wood. Now that I think about it, even with Peavy, they'll more than likely be worse next year.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
Do the Scrubs even have the bullets it would take to really land Peavy?? I don't see how.

B&B were talking about this last week. Their feeling was that all the Cubs stuff was just the Padres trying to get Atlanta to up their deal. If this is all it takes to get Peavy, I'd imagine he would have been traded by now.

As the Cubs step up their pursuit of San Diego Padres ace Jake Peavy, they might be playing themselves out of the bidding for one of their top offseason priorities, Baltimore Orioles leadoff hitter Brian Roberts. Sources say the Padres are seeking a three-for-one or four-for-one swap for Peavy, getting a package of young talent that is expected to include at least one major-league-ready pitcher. That could cost the Cubs some of their best trading chips in their pursuit of Roberts.

Chicago Sun Times

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
As the Cubs step up their pursuit of San Diego Padres ace Jake Peavy, they might be playing themselves out of the bidding for one of their top offseason priorities, Baltimore Orioles leadoff hitter Brian Roberts. Sources say the Padres are seeking a three-for-one or four-for-one swap for Peavy, getting a package of young talent that is expected to include at least one major-league-ready pitcher. That could cost the Cubs some of their best trading chips in their pursuit of Roberts.

Chicago Sun Times

Thanks Trib. Also the players they are offering are pretty much crap that cant even play for the Cubs, but they are the "favorites". And they have chased Roberts before and didnt have enough and traded away their best pitching chip in Gallagher, yet they have a chance again? Who is pumping cubbie koolaid into the water system?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Thanks Trib. Also the players they are offering are pretty much crap that cant even play for the Cubs, but they are the "favorites". And they have chased Roberts before and didnt have enough and traded away their best pitching chip in Gallagher, yet they have a chance again? Who is pumping cubbie koolaid into the water system?

The trib company loves the koolaid!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
According to De Luca the Cubs are not willing to include Samardzija in a deal for Peavy. He names Marshall, Hart and Fontenot as the possible garbage heading to San Diego.

So 2 fringe pen arms and a backup middle IF'er for probably one of the best if not the best pitcher in the NL. Hmmm, seems legit.

Call it all the Kool-Aid you want but Hendry has fleeced enough people in the past.

Although the Marlins got him pretty good on the Juan Pierre deal.

Hendry's MO is to sweep in where this is financial trouble. I imagine right now he's at Circuit City trying to buy a bunch of flatscreen tv's for the players' locker room to try and trick the fans in thinking Mark Cuban bought the team.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Hendry's MO is to sweep in where this is financial trouble. I imagine right now he's at Circuit City trying to buy a bunch of flatscreen tv's for the players' locker room to try and trick the fans in thinking Mark Cuban bought the team.

And with the owner of the Padres having to give half of everything to his wife in a divorce settlement, the Padres are definitely seeing some financial trouble right now.