Details of the Peavy trade negotiations...

caulfield12

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
Seriously though. Would we be able to get Peavy with a package of Richard, Broadway, Getz, and maybe one other fringer, because thats what the Cubs are offering.

But Peavy wants to stay in the NL /green

If the Cubs couldn't get Roberts for their best trading chips, there's no way they'll get Peavy for what's left over after the Harden trade. The Cubs are turning into the consistently-losing version of the Yankees -- they apparently can get any player they want for Kevin Foster and Ryne Sandberg's wife.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
And with the owner of the Padres having to give half of everything to his wife in a divorce settlement, the Padres are definitely seeing some financial trouble right now.

The problem with that theory is that the Padres operate differently than the majority of Major League organizations in that, their Front Office is pretty much run, and publically represented by three individuals. Kevin Towers, the “GM”, Sandy Alderson (CEO), And Paul Depodesta “a special assistant.” While each of these individuals is somewhat different in their approach one thing that is certain is that they are very smart. Another thing is that they are very financially savvy, (schooled in the Money ball approach), and have set their priories to finding financially accessible and opportune players. I find it difficult that they’d have the wool pulled over their eyes in terms of trading the best pitcher in the league. I’m fairly certain that even if money is an option for them they have their act together. Who knows maybe they see something in the Cubs spares (Hart, Marshall, ETC) that we don’t?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
The problem with that theory is that the Padres operate differently than the majority of Major League organizations in that, their Front Office is pretty much run, and publically represented by three individuals. Kevin Towers, the “GM”, Sandy Alderson (CEO), And Paul Depodesta “a special assistant.” While each of these individuals is somewhat different in their approach one thing that is certain is that they are very smart. Another thing is that they are very financially savvy, (schooled in the Money ball approach), and have set their priories to finding financially accessible and opportune players. I find it difficult that they’d have the wool pulled over their eyes in terms of trading the best pitcher in the league. I’m fairly certain that even if money is an option for them they have their act together. Who knows maybe they see something in the Cubs spares (Hart, Marshall, ETC) that we don’t?

When you have to pare payroll in anticipation of selling the team, and you have a few offers on the table, you have to take the best offer. While we may think the Cubs offer is crap, the fact is that the Braves arent a trade partner because Peavy doesnt want Escobar coming to the Padres in the deal, and for whatever reason nobody else is being mentioned as interested(which really boggles my mind), so the cubs might look like the best one out there.

I also dont think the Padres are going to be bamboozled in any deal, and I respect Towers, but he may be under orders to take the best offer available. B&B were talking to someone(DeLuca or someone) and the rumor was that the Padres are trying to get payroll down to 40 million by January so they can start the process of selling the team.

Who knows, we all might wake up and Houston sweeps in and scoops him up for all we know.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
When you have to pare payroll in anticipation of selling the team, and you have a few offers on the table, you have to take the best offer. While we may think the Cubs offer is crap, the fact is that the Braves arent a trade partner because Peavy doesnt want Escobar coming to the Padres in the deal, and for whatever reason nobody else is being mentioned as interested(which really boggles my mind), so the cubs might look like the best one out there.

I also dont think the Padres are going to be bamboozled in any deal, and I respect Towers, but he may be under orders to take the best offer available. B&B were talking to someone(DeLuca or someone) and the rumor was that the Padres are trying to get payroll down to 40 million by January so they can start the process of selling the team.

Who knows, we all might wake up and Houston sweeps in and scoops him up for all we know.

If that is the case, then he ought to play for time. The Twins didn't get the offer for Santana that they accepted until much later in the process, and Peavy isn't earning money by doing offseason workouts. The Cubs's offer is so low that it really isn't going to go away or get worse with time. If they got up tomorrow and then said "That's it, time's up" and then a month from now the Padres called the Cubs back and said "Ok, we'll take it", the Cubs would be IDIOTS not to jump at it. But if he plays for time, it's entirely possible someone else will get in on the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
If that is the case, then he ought to play for time. The Twins didn't get the offer for Santana that they accepted until much later in the process, and Peavy isn't earning money by doing offseason workouts. The Cubs's offer is so low that it really isn't going to go away or get worse with time. If they got up tomorrow and then said "That's it, time's up" and then a month from now the Padres called the Cubs back and said "Ok, we'll take it", the Cubs would be IDIOTS not to jump at it. But if he plays for time, it's entirely possible someone else will get in on the game.

thats the thing i dont get, you would think there would be a competitive team out there somewhere that could put together a better package than what we are hearing from the Cubs.

edit: does Peavys NTC encompass all teams?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
thats the thing i dont get, you would think there would be a competitive team out there somewhere that could put together a better package than what we are hearing from the Cubs.

Someone will, these things always just take time.

Last year it started off that the Twins wanted either Hughes + Kennedy from the Yankees or one of Ellsbury/Pedroia from the Red Sox along with other toys. They hung out and neither team met their price, but then another team got itself involved and came through with a multitude of other guys.

Patience, Mr. Towers, patience. You're smarter than this.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
The Pads pulled their 4 million dollar offer to Hoffman today. I don't know if its going around all of baseball, or the NL West is having huge financial problems, but it looks like the Dimondbacks, Rockies, and Padres are all having serious money issues.

The Padres might be preparing to sell according to Rosenthal.

One would think the Braves offer allows the Padres the most flexibility.

If they get Escobar, Schaffer/Gorkys, and Reyes then they'll have a lot to play around with. They could probably turn around and deal Escobar for more 'spects if they wanted to. Greene should get them a halfway decent prospect although I think they'd be selling pretty low. Giles might be cheap too considering his NTC takes teams out of the mix.

If the Sox could unload a couple of outfielders I'd love to make a run at Giles if he'd agree to come here. He would give us a sweet lefty bat and really be the perfect type of fit for our lineup and ballpark. He's got good power, he walks a lot, he hits at home and on the road against both righties and lefties, he has enough speed to score in situations our current sluggers can't although he's not going to be stealing bases, plus he should be Type A after '09, and on top of all that, he could really be the perfect replacement for Jimmy after '09 both as a DH and as a lefty bat. I think his bat is still good for another 2-3 years given his health and power + plate discipline combination. Plus he could hit anywhere from 2-3 or 5-7 in a lineup. Please, please, make a run at Brian Giles. I think we'd be able to get him cheaper than a guy like him would normally go for because of the NTC. And he'll only make like $9M or something. Very affordable. Please do it Kenny.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
One would think the Braves offer allows the Padres the most flexibility.

If they get Escobar, Schaffer/Gorkys, and Reyes then they'll have a lot to play around with. They could probably turn around and deal Escobar for more 'spects if they wanted to. Greene should get them a halfway decent prospect although I think they'd be selling pretty low. Giles might be cheap too considering his NTC takes teams out of the mix.

If the Sox could unload a couple of outfielders I'd love to make a run at Giles if he'd agree to come here. He would give us a sweet lefty bat and really be the perfect type of fit for our lineup and ballpark. He's got good power, he walks a lot, he hits at home and on the road against both righties and lefties, he has enough speed to score in situations our current sluggers can't although he's not going to be stealing bases, plus he should be Type A after '09, and on top of all that, he could really be the perfect replacement for Jimmy after '09 both as a DH and as a lefty bat. I think his bat is still good for another 2-3 years given his health and power + plate discipline combination. Plus he could hit anywhere from 2-3 or 5-7 in a lineup. Please, please, make a run at Brian Giles. I think we'd be able to get him cheaper than a guy like him would normally go for because of the NTC. And he'll only make like $9M or something. Very affordable. Please do it Kenny.

Someone help my failing memory, but didn't KW try to get Giles a couple times a few years ago? Could he be one of those "Kenny eventually gets the guys he wants" players?

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
Someone help my failing memory, but didn't KW try to get Giles a couple times a few years ago? Could he be one of those "Kenny eventually gets the guys he wants" players?

Kenny should have got Giles in the Ritchie trade. He sent enough to the Pirates that I asked, where's Brian Giles?

FWIW ESPN radio, both national and the local, said Cubs and Braves are still in Peavy discussions, but Pads are talking to Braves now and Cubs are trying to get a 3rd team involved. Looks like Pads were balking at the cubs package (The Score is saying Cubs and Padres looking for a 3rd team while ESPN is saying Braves and Pads are in advanced talks)

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
Cubs blogs are going nuts with a rumor that Peavy is being dealt for Theriot, Pie, and Marshall (and then Cubs would sign Furcal). Please, please don't be true!

That would be an great deal for the cubs and terrible for the Pads, which is why i dont believe it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Cubs blogs are going nuts with a rumor that Peavy is being dealt for Theriot, Pie, and Marshall (and then Cubs would sign Furcal). Please, please don't be true!

wow...if hendry pulls that off i'll go nuts...taht would be 2 trades he was able to work out giving up quantity without quality for a stud SP in about 5 months time..

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Some douche named Andy Dolan seemingly created that rumor out of thin air. He even mentions that it completely contradicts what Olney said this morning in his article.

Its not really a rare occurance for cubs fans to start that crap. It was only a year ago that Rich Hill was going to bring them Brian Roberts.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
basically Boers source said the Braves aren't really intrigued by the Cubs offer and a lot of this is talk

also saying that Dempster is a long shot for the Cubs at this point and also might have trouble resigning Wood

They offered Demp 50 million bucks. Frankly, if I was him, I would take it. He knows this was probably his peak season and you really dont want to be THAT guy IMO, especially when you make your home in the town you play in.

So according to Scott Miller of sportsline.com this thing is just about done, looks like the Cubs missed out. So sad.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/11665079

Braves, Padres near Peavy deal

Posted on: November 12, 2008 10:48 pm

The Atlanta Braves, full-steam ahead in their pursuit of right-hander Jake Peavy, are offering a four-player package of players, and San Diego is expected to request that Peavy waive his no-trade clause so the deal can be completed, CBSSports.com has learned.

Barry Axelrod, Peavy's agent, said Wednesday evening that he had not spoken with Padres general manager Kevin Towers. And if that conversation takes place on Thursday, it still may be a bit before the Padres and Braves receive an answer -- Peavy is scheduled to fly home from a trip to Puerto Rico and will be traveling much of the day.

Under terms of the deal discussed by the Braves and Padres, San Diego would receive shortstop Yunel Escobar, Class A outfielder Gorkys Hernandez, one of two starting pitchers -- Charlie Morton or Jo-Jo Reyes -- and either reliever Blaine Boyer or one of two minor-league left-handers (one of which is believed to be Jeff Locke).

In addition to Escobar and Hernandez, it is believed that the Padres, if the deal is completed, will opt for Morton, a 25-year-old right-hander who was 4-8 with a 6.15 ERA in 16 appearances -- 15 starts -- in 2008. They also are said to be leaning toward Boyer, a 27-year-old right-hander who was one of manager Bobby Cox's chief workhorses last season, finishing tied for ninth in the NL with 76 appearances.

Though Padres scouts like Locke, he's only 21 and not yet ready for the majors. The Padres' bullpen was deeply disappointing last season and, now, with iconic closer Trevor Hoffman apparently having pitched his last game for the Padres, is close to being in complete disarray.

The Braves have been pressuring the Padres for an answer by Friday, when the free agent market opens, because they need at least two starters -- and they want to know whether Peavy will be a Brave before they dive in. They are expected to pursue A.J. Burnett, Ryan Dempster and others -- and sign maybe one if they acquire Peavy, and two if they don't.

However, now the spotlight is close to swinging to Peavy, whose preference is said to be in Chicago with the Cubs. However, internally, the Padres view the Cubs' offer -- believed to include outfielder Felix Pie, infielder Ronny Cedeno and left-hander Sean Marshall, as being nowhere close to that of the Braves.

Whether Peavy agrees to accept a deal to Atlanta could become contingent on any number of things, including Atlanta guaranteeing Peavy's $22 million option for 2013, a full-no trade clause or travel considerations for Peavy's wife and children (the Peavys intend to keep their full-time home in San Diego, according to Axelrod) . . .

Hanson not being included is huge, and I'm sure that is entirely to do with Escobar being in the deal. Lillibridge is either MLB ready or Atlanta has something in place, because he was terrible last year.

It's interesting at the least, and I like the deal for Atlanta. Sucks to give up a damn good shortstop, but with the shortstop market as wide open as it is, it's well worth it.

To me, this means either Renteria or Cabrera is ending up in Atlanta, and I'll just go ahead and guess - seeing how good Renteria was with the Braves, and how no compensation is likely necessary - that Renteria is back there soon.

If they signed Cabrera, that would pretty much suck ass.