Details of the Peavy trade negotiations...

caulfield12

I want O-Cabrera with the Twins...

1) To see how poor his range looks on turf (they could have kept a younger/better version in Bartlett at 1/15th the cost),

2) To see the White Sox take Twins' draft picks for compensation,

3) To see us beat the Twins again and O-Cabrera finally miss out on the playoffs

4) Maybe to see Balfour taunt him again...that was good stuff, like K-G and Jose Calderon (Raptors)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:34 AM)
I want O-Cabrera with the Twins...

1) To see how poor his range looks on turf (they could have kept a younger/better version in Bartlett at 1/15th the cost),

2) To see the White Sox take Twins' draft picks for compensation,

3) To see us beat the Twins again and O-Cabrera finally miss out on the playoffs

4) Maybe to see Balfour taunt him again...that was good stuff, like K-G and Jose Calderon (Raptors)

totally random in the context of this thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, so you're saying the Cubs aren't going to get Peavy for Marshall, Pie, and Cedeno? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?????

my thoughts eaxclty lol what a bunch of garbage. they want peavy for that? i dont think i would even take that for dye lol

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
I maybe alone, but I worry about Peavy's elbow. That is a lot to give for Atlanta if they throw JoJo in there. But hey, anything to disappoint Cub fans is fine with me.

There's something that kept a lot of teams away. The offers seem to be Atlanta and the garbage the Cubs offered, which baseball people didn't believe was viable. There wasn't anything in between? Seems odd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
I know the Padres aren't exactly strong at 2b either, but I wonder if picking up Escobar would immediately put Greene on the market to get someone to take the salary off their hands.

Greene is definitely on the market, and the Padres have said so. First reports around Peavy were saying that the team would also have to take Greene. They are dumping salary as fast as they can.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
There's something that kept a lot of teams away. The offers seem to be Atlanta and the garbage the Cubs offered, which baseball people didn't believe was viable. There wasn't anything in between? Seems odd.

You can bet every team in baseball inquired. The cubs run their organization via the media to keep their name and their "buzz" out there. They float the names of guys that they are willing to give up in hopes other teams may be interested. Now their fans can say that they took a run at this guy.

Bruce Levine looks like dope for fueling this stuff though sometimes.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
You can bet every team in baseball inquired. The cubs run their organization via the media to keep their name and their "buzz" out there. They float the names of guys that they are willing to give up in hopes other teams may be interested. Now their fans can say that they took a run at this guy.

Bruce Levine looks like dope for fueling this stuff though sometimes.

I think a lot of the hype came from the Padres actually.

Don't know what's going on. Braves' GM Frank Wren claimed the offer is tabled and that they are targeting other rotation possibilities, most likely Ryan Dempster. Yet the Braves had the best "talent match" on paper. Wonder if the Cards pick up their efforts to center a deal around Ludwick/Ankiel with some other sweeteners involved.

It would be funny if the Cubs lost out on Peavy, Dempster and Wood.

You have to think they'll take a run at AJ Burnett, Lowe, etc. I doubt they get involved with Sabathia, whose first offer from the Yankees is in the $140-142 million dollar range. With the Soriano and Fukudome deals looking less and less attractive going forward, we'll see if they show some financial restraint.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
You have to think they'll take a run at AJ Burnett, Lowe, etc. I doubt they get involved with Sabathia, whose first offer from the Yankees is in the $140-142 million dollar range. With the Soriano and Fukudome deals looking less and less attractive going forward, we'll see if they show some financial restraint.

Derek Lowe would probably be the best pitcher on the market for them to spend money on if they were spending that kind of money on a pitcher.

Padres general manager Kevin Towers told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Thursday that he may seek to trade Peavy to the Yankees or Angels because of his inability to reach an agreement with the Braves or Cubs.

Rosenthal

Who is he going to get from them that's better than the Atlanta deal? I don't know the minors very well, but this seems odd.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
Some douche named Andy Dolan seemingly created that rumor out of thin air. He even mentions that it completely contradicts what Olney said this morning in his article.

Well, that same guy said the source of his information was Peavy himself while staying at the same resort in Puerto Rico.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
FWIW, ESPN on the scroll has been reporting that the Cubs won't pursue Peavy anymore. They cited an interview with Pinella where he said roughly "We don't need starters, we're set." I'm not sure if they were just going off of that or not, but they were reporting it.

Quoting myself, but today ESPN is reporting through Gammons that a Padres source said a Cubs deal could get done but it would have to involve a 3rd team. So all of you who thought the Cubs rumored package wasn't very good were probably correct and the Pads need things the Cubs can't offer right now

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
NSBB.com are appalled that Towers would do this to Peavy, mostly because of their fellow Cub's fan reports about Peavy singing "Go Cubs Go" (which never happened). He OBVIOUSLY wanted to play for the Cubs, every player does.

yeah, i looked over there too. It's amazing that they truly believe every player would love to play for the cubs more than any other team.

Edited by kjshoe04