Some more names that might make sense to KW

caulfield12

Fukudome to play CF for the White Sox if the Cubs sign Abreu for RF (and Hendry eats a huge portion of the contract)

3B Casey Blake (a lot of people are expecting Orlando Cabrera and Blake to sign with the Twins, I will believe it when I see it happen)

LHP Jamie Moyer (although I think he's better off staying in the NL)

SP Kenshin Kawakami (KW seemed to have a pretty good relationship with Iguchi and Takatsu)

LHP Oliver Perez

2B Mark Grudzielanek or bringing back Ray Ray Durham for a couple of seasons

SP Freddy Garcia

LHP Jeremy Affeldt if the White Sox trade Jenks (giving them three of the best lefty relievers in terms of stuff in all of MLB, w/ Thornton and Poreda)

RPH Paul Byrd

Trade Konerko/Swisher as part of a package for SP Jonathan Sanchez (SFG)

SP Braden Looper

SS Edgar Renteria (maybe Ozzie could bring out the fire from the other big leaguer from Colombia)

SP Koji Uehara

Nick Punto as supersub...if he doesn't get a starting job elsewhere

RP Juan Cruz (possible closer?)

CF Mark Kotsay

LHP Odalis Perez (for fifth starter)

SS Felipe Lopez (kind of like the Nix move, bringing in some more competition and improving the depth)

Rocco Baldelli, Joe Beimel, Doug Brocail, David Eckstein, Tom Glavine, Jerry Hairston Jr., Eric Hinske, Chan Ho Park, Jason Isringhausen, Cesar Izturis, Greg Maddux (will retire in all likelihood), Tomohiro Nioka, David Weathers

Unless KW gets blown over by an offer, we will probably see Nix or Getz at 2B. I would love to get Grudzielanek but the money it would cost us could be spent elsewhere. I'm also a true believer that your minor league system should be able to produce at least 1 pitcher and 1 position player every year or they aren't doing their job.

I just love the fact that KW is always active in the offseason. Keeps us on our feet and busy at work :)

Jeff Passan's Ultimate Free Agent Tracker

Yahoo Sports baseball analyst lists 183 free agents, ranks them, and makes comments about each.

Some of the comments are pretty funny... especially on the lower ranked guys.

Nice that it lets you view them by position too.

Edited by scenario

I would love to see KW sign Grudz to 2B. That guy's bat would be perfect in front of Quentin in the 2 hole and you could play Getz there twice a week as well since Grudz is getting up there in age. It's a better option than bringing back Uribe.

If KW does trade Vazquez, I wouldn't mind Freddy or Odalis Perez every 4th or 5th day as well.

Edited by Allsox

LHP Jeremy Affeldt if the White Sox trade Jenks (giving them three of the best lefty relievers in terms of stuff in all of MLB, w/ Thornton and Poreda)

OM god. Affeldt is one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball. As bad as Boone.

Good try with that list though. I had to laugh at the first comment. About these all being dud players. Pretty much right.

QUOTE (Allsox @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
If KW does trade Vazquez, I wouldn't mind Freddy or Odalis Perez every 4th or 5th day as well.

Back in 2006 Sox fans were chasing Freddy around with forks in their hands.

He had an ERA over 5.00 most of the year and his fastball wouldn't break glass.

So... can he really be counted on to come back and help us out... fill a rotation slot... 3 years and an arm surgery later?

I wouldn't bet on it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
OM god. Affeldt is one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball. As bad as Boone.

Good try with that list though. I had to laugh at the first comment. About these all being dud players. Pretty much right.

When you look at pure talent and stuff, Affeldt was Matt Thornton before Matt Thornton WAS Matt Thornton, lol.

It gets tiring theorizing EVERY pitcher we have come over here can be fixed, but I'm sure they have lots of insight from Cooper on pitchers who have mechanical/delivery issues (like with Danks in late 07 and then changing things coming into this year, which has also led to a 2-3 MPH increase in velocity), which pitchers look interesting but like projects (think of Aardsma, Sisco, MacDougal here) and which pitchers are completely beyond his redemption.

When I was living in KC and I first saw him pitch...well, he had a VERY lively arm. The only one who came close who mysteriously disappeared from the scene was Dan Reichert, and now Zach Greinke.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, Thornton is a more appropriate comparison, for sure.

That said, according to Cooper, they completely redesigned not only his delivery, but added critical secondary pitches to his arsenal.

Of course, before the trade, they liked his moxie/presence and his overall package or they wouldn't have made the move. They obviously saw issues with McCarthy's getting the ball up too much in USCF, his delivery, his very straight fastball...McCarthy, something about him just never looked smooth or quite right, maybe it's because he came almost directly over the top and that's fairly rare these days and even looks a bit strange.

I do remember after the trade and watching his first ST outing on WGN, thinking he's throwing NOT much harder than Buehrle. But he's really matured and his fastball has that extra life or kick that tormented/fooled hitters all season long. You look at his size, you don't expect 92-93-94 MPH. You expect a soft-tosser. Arguably, Danks has better stuff than Liriano right now...as incredible as it may seem. And so does Gavin.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Fukudome....I'd rather have Michael Jordan play for the Sox again. Atleast he looked semi-athletic in a batters box unlike Fukudome who corkscrews into the ground every swing.

Uribe (to Fukudome): "The summer me..."

Fukudome (to Uribe): "The winter me..."

And no, I'm not comparing the two players talent for f***s sake

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Uribe (to Fukudome): "The summer me..."

Fukudome (to Uribe): "The winter me..."

And no, I'm not comparing the two players talent for f***s sake

Next thing you know Fukudome is gonna be digging holes in Grant Park.

"My name is Edgar"

I know we have a rather larger payroll and thats a finally nice thing to see, but aside from Torii Hunter last year we are never linked to any big name free agents. Im starting to get sick of always having linkages to players that are cheap, old, rebounding from injury, looking for a change of scenery, in someone else doghouse, coming off disappointing years, etc. Im not saying we need 150 Mil payroll like red sox, we should be totally competitive with a payroll around 100 Mil, but come on.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
I know we have a rather larger payroll and thats a finally nice thing to see, but aside from Torii Hunter last year we are never linked to any big name free agents. Im starting to get sick of always having linkages to players that are cheap, old, rebounding from injury, looking for a change of scenery, in someone else doghouse, coming off disappointing years, etc. Im not saying we need 150 Mil payroll like red sox, we should be totally competitive with a payroll around 100 Mil, but come on.

A team of those types of guys won the world series in 2005. And a team that is known for buying every big name free agent available hasnt won since 2000.

And I kind of like a guy who ran out of options with the team that drafted him, whose last name starts with Q and ends with uentin.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
errrrrr I love me some Danks but lets not crazy.

Danks and Liriano have the same fastball now, 91-93, touching 94 MPH.

Liriano's slider is down from 87-90 into the low 80's. He's afraid to really let it go...that "muscle memory" of the injury seems to be affecting him mentally.

Liriano mowed down the lower-tier teams (he had a lot of favorable match-ups) but he lost a couple of really big games down the stretch...I think his reputation from 2006 helped him to a large extent, but the jury's out if he will ever have that devastating slider back again (and if he uncorks it, how long his elbow will hold together).

Would you trade Danks for Liriano TODAY, straight up? I wouldn't, because Danks has a nice, repeatable/easy delivery and doesn't look like nearly the injury risk that The Franchise does going forward.

Edited by caulfield12