Some more names that might make sense to KW

caulfield12

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Fukudome is so overrated. He's gonna be out of the league and back in Japan after his contract is up, if not earlier, IMO.

I'll take that bet.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Fukudome's OPS is over .800 next season...I wouldn't bet on it, just saying.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Danks and Liriano have the same fastball now, 91-93, touching 94 MPH.

Liriano's slider is down from 87-90 into the low 80's. He's afraid to really let it go...that "muscle memory" of the injury seems to be affecting him mentally.

Liriano mowed down the lower-tier teams (he had a lot of favorable match-ups) but he lost a couple of really big games down the stretch...I think his reputation from 2006 helped him to a large extent, but the jury's out if he will ever have that devastating slider back again (and if he uncorks it, how long his elbow will hold together).

Would you trade Danks for Liriano TODAY, straight up? I wouldn't, because Danks has a nice, repeatable/easy delivery and doesn't look like nearly the injury risk that The Franchise does going forward.

From to Fan Graphs:

Danks in 2008:

FB: 52.2% (91.3 average velocity)(89.5 in 2007)

SL: 4.7% (83.9)(81.0)

CT: 16.4% (87.1)

CB: 6.4% (77.0)(76.9)

CH: 20.3% (82.8)(81.7)

K/9: 7.34

Liriano in 2008:

FB: 53.6% (90.9)(94.7 in 2006)

SL: 26.4% (83.7)(87.7)

CH: 20.0% (82.0)(83.5)

K/9: 7.93

This was still only his first stint back from ligament replacement surgery so we'll see what happens next year after he has a full offseason to strengthen that arm back up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1792933:date=Nov 12, 2008 -> 10:38 PM:name=caulfield12)-->
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
<!--quotec-->Danks and Liriano have the same fastball now, 91-93, touching 94 MPH.

Liriano's slider is down from 87-90 into the low 80's. He's afraid to really let it go...that "muscle memory" of the injury seems to be affecting him mentally.

Liriano mowed down the lower-tier teams (he had a lot of favorable match-ups) but he lost a couple of really big games down the stretch...I think his reputation from 2006 helped him to a large extent, but the jury's out if he will ever have that devastating slider back again (and if he uncorks it, how long his elbow will hold together).

Would you trade Danks for Liriano TODAY, straight up? I wouldn't, because Danks has a nice, repeatable/easy delivery and doesn't look like nearly the injury risk that The Franchise does going forward.

From to Fan Graphs:

Danks in 2008:

FB: 52.2% (91.3 average velocity)(89.5 in 2007)

SL: 4.7% (83.9)(81.0)

CT: 16.4% (87.1)

CB: 6.4% (77.0)(76.9)

CH: 20.3% (82.8)(81.7)

K/9: 7.34

Liriano in 2008:

FB: 53.6% (90.9)(94.7 in 2006)

SL: 26.4% (83.7)(87.7)

CH: 20.0% (82.0)(83.5)

K/9: 7.93

This was still only his first stint back from ligament replacement surgery so we'll see what happens next year after he has a full offseason to strengthen that arm back up.

Yeah, we'll have to see.

The second year back (first full season) will be much more telling.

If he's throwing 87-89 MPH sliders and is pain free, watch out. But I still don't see that elbow holding up...there's just too much torque the way he throws the 2006 slider not to have a recurrence.

And it seemed Danks got stronger as the year went on...he was consistently 92-93 and sometimes 94 later in the season.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Jeff Passan's Ultimate Free Agent Tracker

Yahoo Sports baseball analyst lists 183 free agents, ranks them, and makes comments about each.

Some of the comments are pretty funny... especially on the lower ranked guys.

Nice that it lets you view them by position too.

There are a lot of funny comments. My favorite might be Carl Pavono............hehe

Fukudome isn't a terrible player. He is just terribly overpaid. I would take him from the cubs if they bit off a huge portion of his contract. Its also likely that he will improve. It seems this team will never play brian anderson on a regular basis again with the speedy jerry owens under contract. I'd rather have kosuke(almost anyone) over jerry.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
There are a lot of funny comments. My favorite might be Carl Pavono............hehe

164) Toby Hall, C: He is better known in the White Sox clubhouse for his facial hair than his talent.

Sad, but true.

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Fukudome isn't a terrible player. He is just terribly overpaid. I would take him from the cubs if they bit off a huge portion of his contract. Its also likely that he will improve. It seems this team will never play brian anderson on a regular basis again with the speedy jerry owens under contract. I'd rather have kosuke(almost anyone) over jerry.

I dont know about that, Fukodome finished the year pretty terribly