Holliday to A's

bigruss

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Apparently the A's have acquired Matt Holliday, as of now details are not available. From Mlbtraderumors.com sourced Jon Heyman from SI.com

Hey wouldnt it be funny if they sent geo to the rocks and he made his way back to chicago in a willy taveras deal????

I would literally laugh, because sometimes you have to to keep from crying.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
The A's have the right idea. They're not falling for this Willy Taveras crap, unless its as a throwin. I have a feeling Matt Murton might be going rocky mountain high which i'd find hilarious.

He would be an ideal guy for the Rockies to target. Decent hitter on his own, but also a guy who could be REALLY helped by playing in Coors.

I wonder if Chris Carter or Aaron Cunningham winds up in this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
He would be an ideal guy for the Rockies to target.

I wonder if Chris Carter or Aaron Cunningham winds up in this.

I dont see Carter going there because he is more of a DH, but he is such a great hitter maybe Colorado thought he is worth it. I could def. see Cunningham being involved or Gio.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Wow, Holliday has to be pissed. FA next year, and this is probably the last place he wanted to go to pad his numbers.

I'd be inpartial if i were him. Have you seen the pitching in that division? It's terrible... besides the Angles, Seattle and Texas have absolutely horrible staffs... the NL west doesnt have the same problem...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
There's almost no way Holliday won't be a type A free agent, so that has to be part of it as well.

Im guessing three prospects, each one a quality prospect but not a stud, like Smith, Gonzalez, Carter, and maybe a player like Sweeney/Murton (young guys not necessarily a prospect, and im not saying all of those guys, just some combination or a package of guys like that)

ESPN.com reports that the Matt Holliday-to-Oakland deal, which is still pending physicals, includes left-hander Greg Smith.

It makes sense that either Smith or Sean Gallagher was going to be involved. The Rockies want major league-ready talent, and the A's probably preferred going that route than touching their top prospects anyway. No word yet on whether Huston Street is in the mix. According to ESPN.com, there are final details still to be worked out, but the trade has been agreed to.

My guess is Street + Smith plus another good prospect.

Not a bad move by the A's I think. They've got enough good young players ATM, and they can either spin Holliday off at the deadline or get the 2 draft picks for him.

His OPS will certainly come down away from Coors though.

"Ken Rosenthal chimes in. The deal may not be finalized for about 48 hours. Players discussed over the weekend: Carlos Gonzalez, Huston Street, and Smith. Rosenthal says the A's do not plan to flip Holliday or trade him in July."

-MLBtraderumors.com

Hmm, if the A's are planning on competing next year I would think they would need Street, and Gonzalez is a pretty highly touted prospect, seems like the A's are sending over more than I thought they would.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
Hmm, if the A's are planning on competing next year I would think they would need Street, and Gonzalez is a pretty highly touted prospect, seems like the A's are sending over more than I thought they would.

The A's are pretty confident right now that they don't need Street, I'd say. Street wasn't any good this year anyway, and they had a couple of other bullpen guys step up and start to fill that role.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
.880 OPS from Holliday next year, I'm calling it now.

That seems pretty fair considering the difference in parks.

Side Note:

He had 28 stolen bases last year, with only 2 CS. Thats a nice bonus to his stats

ESPN.com stirs the pot with a couple more potential names. Man, it's like Oakland's whole system is up in the air.

Pitcher Greg Smith, who was 7-16 with a 4.16 ERA last season for the A's, is one of the players in the deal, a source confirmed to Crasnick. Among the other players who have been discussed were left-handed pitcher Brett Anderson and outfielders Ryan Sweeney and Carlos Gonzalez.

Oakland has been weighing offers for closer Huston Street, but it's uncertain if Street is part of the Holliday deal. The Rockies have a need for late-inning relief with Brian Fuentes about to leave through free agency.

Ryan Sweeney could look really good in Colorado also.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Thats a s***load to give up for 1 year.

This is Billy Beane we are talking about here, last year he gutted the team for prospects, so he has a few to spare

I wonder how Beane would fare with a team where he didnt have to slice and sell every other year.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
That would be an incredible package. If this is the case Rockies fans should be quite pleased with the return.

Yup, a pretty good haul, Beane makes up for his rapeage by hendry. Seriously though, the Cubs arent even offering this much for Peavy who is young and signed to a long term deal.