Holliday to A's

bigruss

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
Aaron Cunningham, who profiled as something of a cross between Aaron Rowand and Reed in terms of talent and tools?

I think he'll be a major leaguer, but I don't know that he's going to have a significantly higher impact than, say, Ryan Sweeney. If he starts hitting 25-35 homers per season, but most don't see that happening.

Have you seen any pictures of this guy? He's a shorter but more muscular Eric Byrnes.

IMO, he will hit for decent (20-25 homerun) power in MLB and be better on-base wise than Sweeney.

But he'll be a corner outfielder.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sort of thinking out loud here. Adam Russell, Lance Broadway, ??? and/or ??? for Taveras and Street. Not saying I necessarily want this sort of thing to happen but it's kind of funny how two guys that KW has shown strong interest in within the past few months now happen to be on the same team and are almost certainly going to be dealt within in the next few months.

I don't know who the ??? would be but I know they're looking for bullpen help and rotation depth, Broadway's name has come up already in connection with the Rockies and Russell seems like a decent enough trade chip when dealing with a low payroll team in need of cheap, possible high impact relievers.

EDIT: Now that I think about it they also have Atkins who they're looking to unload. Yeesh I could easily see some sort a mega deal brewing between the Sox and Rox.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
Just sort of thinking out loud here. Adam Russell, Lance Broadway, ??? and/or ??? for Taveras and Street. Not saying I necessarily want this sort of thing to happen but it's kind of funny how two guys that KW has shown strong interest in within the past few months now happen to be on the same team and are almost certainly going to be dealt within in the next few months.

I don't know who the ??? would be but I know they're looking for bullpen help and rotation depth, Broadway's name has come up already in connection with the Rockies and Russell seems like a decent enough trade chip when dealing with a low payroll team in need of cheap, possible high impact relievers.

EDIT: Now that I think about it they also have Atkins who they're looking to unload. Yeesh I could easily see some sort a mega deal brewing between the Sox and Rox.

Yep. You're reading my mind. Lots of places where we match up need-wise with the Rockies.

I literally just spent the last 3 hours thinking that Holliday was Hawpe until I finally saw the news on SportsCenter so now this deal makes more sense to me..

I don't know why that happened either, I read this entire thread earlier and still thought it was Hawpe we were talking about

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:07 AM)

I could see the Rockies wanting Swisher. They have a big need for a 3-5 hitter, which Swisher has been in the past could replace Holliday's OBP and HR power. Not to mention Swisher could play 1b, Lf or RF. Whether it takes only a Swisher to get Taveras and Street who knows. But adding Street could allow the sox to trade Jenks for even more talent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
Do we really want any part of Street as a replacement for Jenks, or would it just be increasing the pool of talent (by committee) to go along with Dotel, Thornton, Poreda and Linebrink? On paper, those five make for a pretty imposing pen...maybe the greatest in baseball history, lol.

I don't know if Street would be the closer. Yet he'd be another option if Jenks was traded. Either way, he would be valuable in set up if he threw like he has been.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)

I think the "and/or" part of your post would have to be something pretty significant though. Egbert would seem like a fit for the Rockies too, but not the significant part. Ditto with Logan and Wassermann.

Would anyone do Swisher for Taveras + Street?

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)
Do we really want any part of Street as a replacement for Jenks, or would it just be increasing the pool of talent (by committee) to go along with Dotel, Thornton, Poreda and Linebrink? On paper, those five make for a pretty imposing pen...maybe the greatest in baseball history, lol.

Joe Morgan would s*** himself.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
I see Swisher for Street + Tavares as very likely. Maybe us tossing in an extra prospect.

It's not something I want, but it's possible.

I also beat you guys to this scenario. :lolhitting

If we got the career Willy Taveras and the career Huston Street and the Rockies got the career Nick Swisher then I think that would be a steal for us. But, there is a lot of risk on both sides. If they get the 2006 Swisher and we get the 2008 versions of Taveras and Street then it could go down as one of the worst trades ever for Kenny Williams.

I think this deal is likely too, and congrats for thinking of it first. Are you Kenny Williams? This seems likely because the deal probably splits Sox fans down the middle, with half loving it and half hating it, and that's what happens a lot of the time when Kenny's big moves go down.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
If we got the career Willy Taveras and the career Huston Street and the Rockies got the career Nick Swisher then I think that would be a steal for us. But, there is a lot of risk on both sides. If they get the 2006 Swisher and we get the 2008 versions of Taveras and Street then it could go down as one of the worst trades ever for Kenny Williams.

I think this deal is likely too, and congrats for thinking of it first. Are you Kenny Williams? This seems likely because the deal probably splits Sox fans down the middle, with half loving it and half hating it, and that's what happens a lot of the time when Kenny's big moves go down.

See post #57.

I did call the Quentin trade last year, though, after Az. signed Byrnes to a long term deal.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
See post #57.

I did call the Quentin trade last year, though, after Az. signed Byrnes to a long term deal.

D'oh

My post was three later. I guess that's what happens when you don't read the whole thread.

Now let's see if it goes down. I feel a trade happens probably by Thursday, Saturday at the latest.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
D'oh

My post was three later. I guess that's what happens when you don't read the whole thread.

Now let's see if it goes down. I feel a trade happens probably by Thursday, Saturday at the latest.

it was mentioned how the rockies got street bcuz theyre going to lose fuentes. so wouldnt they need yet again another pitcher to fill in the void left by them?

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 06:30 AM)
I don't know if Street would be the closer. Yet he'd be another option if Jenks was traded. Either way, he would be valuable in set up if he threw like he has been.

Depends on what you mean by "Threw like he has been". If he threw like the has-been he threw like last year, then he wouldn't really be that valuable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Depends on what you mean by "Threw like he has been". If he threw like the has-been he threw like last year, then he wouldn't really be that valuable.

I don't think Street was that bad this year. Just not up to his usual standards... and probably a little dicey for a closer... but as a setup guy? Not bad.

Remember, Brad Lidge looked average to bad in 2006-2007 and a new environment worked out very well for him.

I think a change of place could be exactly what Street needs. He's got the talent. And he's only 25 years old.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't think Street was that bad this year. Just not up to his usual standards... and probably a little dicey for a closer... but as a setup guy? Not bad.

Remember, Brad Lidge looked average to bad in 2006-2007 and a new environment worked out very well for him.

I think a change of place could be exactly what Street needs. He's got the talent. And he's only 25 years old.

Street doesn't have near the tools Lidge does. Never did. But as a set-up guy if you aren't giving up much, he probably is OK.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)

The stats showed Street can still get people out, whether it's in set up or closing, with only a slight uptick in ERA. If the sox do trade for him, I'd hazard to guess they went over the medical records with a fine toothed comb. You can never have too many solid bullpen arms, and options to close. IMO, Street would be a solid addition to what the sox already have.

I would take Taveras, Atkins, and Street in a heartbeat, if that's what you're implying, Kalapse. I don't want Taveras to lead off, but I'd sure take him batting 9th. I'd take Atkins easily. And I'd take Street, believing that he's likely to improve at least slightly under Cooper. You then flip Jenks for a nice package, and we have ourselves a pretty sweet offseason already.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
I would take Taveras, Atkins, and Street in a heartbeat, if that's what you're implying, Kalapse. I don't want Taveras to lead off, but I'd sure take him batting 9th. I'd take Atkins easily. And I'd take Street, believing that he's likely to improve at least slightly under Cooper. You then flip Jenks for a nice package, and we have ourselves a pretty sweet offseason already.

If the sox used up the talent to acquire Atkins, they wouldn't have enough for a leadoff guy. I guess it would depend on what the sox got for Jenks, though, and if the leadoff guy would be part of that deal.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 01:25 AM)
I literally just spent the last 3 hours thinking that Holliday was Hawpe until I finally saw the news on SportsCenter so now this deal makes more sense to me..

I don't know why that happened either, I read this entire thread earlier and still thought it was Hawpe we were talking about

Don't feel bad. For the longest time after the trade went down I confused Holliday with Atkins, and couldn't believe that Beane gave up a king's ransom for a guy with a .775 OPS away from Coors. I guess I really need to follow the NL more.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
Would the Orioles be interested in Jenks?

Maybe. The Orioles do have a bunch of AA SP's [that would be able to start the year in AAA] that the sox could choose from. Bradley Bergesen looks like an arm that could develop and help the sox. But it doesn't make sense to get a closer when the lineup is atrocious.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Maybe. The Orioles do have a bunch of AA SP's [that would be able to start the year in AAA] that the sox could choose from. Bradley Bergesen looks like an arm that could develop and help the sox. But it doesn't make sense to get a closer when the lineup is atrocious.

If they were in the NL, or maybe even the AL Central, with guys like Jones and Markakis as young talent, they might well think that they would have a shot at competing next year with a couple intelligent moves.

But with the Yankees, Red Sox, and now the ungodly talent loaded Rays in their division, the Orioles would have to be idiots to try to "Win now".

That said, the Orioles don't exactly make my list of "Smartest franchises of the last 10 years".