Beckham first, Poreda second

winninguglyin83

Baseball America won't release it's Sox Top 10 prospect list until next Monday. But if you read a question that Jim Callis answered on BA's web site, you can find out who the top two prospects are (in this order):

1. Gordon Beckham.

2. Aaron Poreda

Here is the entire question and answer, about Poreda's chances of pitching in the big leagues:

The White Sox seem to be very high on lefthander Aaron Poreda, and it seems likes he's one of the top two prospects in their system. There's no doubt he has an electric arm. My question is does he legitimately have the chance to develop secondary pitches to stay in the rotation, or is his future as a late-inning reliever? When do you expect him in the big leagues?

Nate Rittenbery

Chicago

Lefthanders who can throw in the high 90s don't often last 25 picks in the draft, but that's what happened with Poreda in 2007, precisely because of concern about his secondary pitches. The White Sox have helped him improve his slider to the point where it shows flashes of becoming a plus pitch, but his changeup is still very much a work in progress.

Poreda is one of the organization's best prospects, coming in at No. 2 behind Gordon Beckham on our soon-to-be-unveiled White Sox Top 10 Prospects list. I'd handle him the same way Chicago has, giving him every opportunity to become a starter. At the same time, he has one plus pitch right now and even that fastball can get straight and hittable at times.

In some ways, Poreda reminds me of Cubs righthander Jeff Samardzija, who has an electric arm yet couldn't always overmatch hitters with it. A starter in the minors, Samardzija was a weapon for the Cubs out of the bullpen this summer. He may get a chance to make the big league rotation, but I think Samardzija is better suited for relief. That's my gut feel on Poreda, too. There's a good chance you'll see him pitching for the White Sox this year, most likely in the second half and out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
If Poreda gives us what Jeff Samardzija did the Cubs last year, I will be thrilled. That is potential closer material.

how great would that be if we traded Jenks and this guy turned out to be a good closer?

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
yes, but Beckham went 3 for 4 with two runs scored and 2 RBIs.

he started a little slow, but he is flatout mashing.

Yep. Up to #7 hitter in the league. .396 BA; .484 OBP; 1.126 OPS.

Looking very good.

I think it will be very interesting to see how he does in spring training.

jon Rauch wasn't worthy of being named the best prospect in the country and BAmerica's minor league player of the year.

But he's become a decent relief pitcher.

He'd look nice in our pen.

in fact, other than Buehrle or Garland, he's had a better career than all the other young guys from that era -- Ginter, Parque, Wells, Purvis, Fogg and the rest of those scrappers.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
jon Rauch wasn't worthy of being named the best prospect in the country and BAmerica's minor league player of the year.

in fact, other than Buehrle or Garland, he's had a better career than all the other young guys from that era -- Ginter, Parque, Wells, Purvis, Fogg and the rest of those scrappers.

Majewski and Biddle also had their moments in the sun.

You can also include Aaron Myette, Josh Rupe, Kevin Beirne, Lorenzo Barcelo, Jason Stumm, Danny Wright, Jason Dellaero (well, he's going back a bit further)....then the failures of Honel and Corwin Malone and the bad drafts, Royce Ring comes to mind.

All told, the biggest loss might be that of Frank Francisco (the chair thrower who went through a major surgery as well), who we got from the Red Sox for Howry and then traded as part of one of the Everett deals.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)

If Rauch doesn't hurt his shoulder, I don't think we are talking about him in the same vein.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)
Majewski and Biddle also had their moments in the sun.

You can also include Aaron Myette, Josh Rupe, Kevin Beirne, Lorenzo Barcelo, Jason Stumm, Danny Wright, Jason Dellaero (well, he's going back a bit further)....then the failures of Honel and Corwin Malone and the bad drafts, Royce Ring comes to mind.

All told, the biggest loss might be that of Frank Francisco (the chair thrower who went through a major surgery as well), who we got from the Red Sox for Howry and then traded as part of one of the Everett deals.

More guys with major pitching arm injuries.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
You can add Wing in there too. We've had an awful lot of bad luck when it comes to the health of our very promising (at the time) young pitchers. It has not been entirely poor drafting/scouting

I was actually pretty upset when Wing went to the OAK org last offseason. He showed every indication of coming back nicely, and was even stretching out to starting length outings with B-Ham in 2007 while putting up very nice numbers.

And in 2008 with OAK's AAA team as a reliever, he put up a 2.33 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and about an 8 K/9.

It would be awfully nice to have a lefty reliever like that in the wings with the Sox right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
I was actually pretty upset when Wing went to the OAK org last offseason. He showed every indication of coming back nicely, and was even stretching out to starting length outings with B-Ham in 2007 while putting up very nice numbers.

And in 2008 with OAK's AAA team as a reliever, he put up a 2.33 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and about an 8 K/9.

It would be awfully nice to have a lefty reliever like that in the wings with the Sox right now.

Especially with what happened to Logan this season.

A good lefty reliever should be one of KW's main targets this off-season. Someone like Dennys Reyes would fit the bill quite nicely, and take something away from a major rival of ours.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Especially with what happened to Logan this season.

A good lefty reliever should be one of KW's main targets this off-season. Someone like Dennys Reyes would fit the bill quite nicely, and take something away from a major rival of ours.

Maybe we can trade back for Wing. We seem to like dealing with OAK.

Though if I recall, Wing might have actually asked for a change of scenery. He may have felt he had a quicker shot at the bigs with someone else.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Maybe we can trade back for Wing. We seem to like dealing with OAK.

Though if I recall, Wing might have actually asked for a change of scenery. He may have felt he had a quicker shot at the bigs with someone else.

I think Wing may actually be a minor league free agent

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
Honel and Malone were such huge dissapointments.

I remember one game back in like '02 I wanna say where Malone struck out like 16. We were all pretty excited for Corwin....