Lou Pinella NL MOY

clyons

Yeah, thanks, I KNOW its based on the regular season, but Manuel is still far more deserving, imo. His team won 92 games, wasn't an overwhelming pre-season favorite, and overcame injuries (it lost the reigning MVP for over a month, and Utley, Gordon and Jenkins all got hurt) to win its division. Lou's team, coming off one division champion and having been installed as a runaway favorite after adding Fukodome, the NL ROY, and then Rich Harden, won only 5 more games than Charlie's. I guess that's all because of Lou.

This award is probably the most subjective of all the post-season awards, but I don't see how it can be said that Lou managed better than Charlie. If the award is going to go to the manager whose team wins the most regular season games, why even have a vote?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, thanks, I KNOW its based on the regular season, but Manuel is still far more deserving, imo. His team won 92 games, wasn't an overwhelming pre-season favorite, and overcame injuries (it lost the reigning MVP for over a month, and Utley, Gordon and Jenkins all got hurt) to win its division. Lou's team, coming off one division champion and having been installed as a runaway favorite after adding Fukodome, the NL ROY, and then Rich Harden, won only 5 more games than Charlie's. I guess that's all because of Lou.

This award is probably the most subjective of all the post-season awards, but I don't see how it can be said that Lou managed better than Charlie. If the award is going to go to the manager whose team wins the most regular season games, why even have a vote?

The cubs won 97, lost Soriano and Zambrano during significant parts of the season. Had to deal with a stuggling RF, a CF platoon, a rookie catcher, and a highly touted pitcher (Rich Hill) impoloding. So, yeah. The Cubs had their own problems too.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)

I am sure manuel would not change places with Lou right now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
The cubs won 97, lost Soriano and Zambrano during significant parts of the season. Had to deal with a stuggling RF, a CF platoon, a rookie catcher, and a highly touted pitcher (Rich Hill) impoloding. So, yeah. The Cubs had their own problems too.

Rollins > Soriano, Phillies had similar outfield problems until Werth got going, and I'll see your Rich Hill and raise you Brett Myers, who after starting for them Opening Day, also imploded and got sent down to the minors. Plus, maybe Charlie and his crew actually getting something out of a highly touted pitcher (Cole Hamels) ought to count for something in his favor.

I still say Charlie got jobbed, but I'm obviously in the minority, especially in votes that count. Oh, well, that's part of what makes the game great, I guess.

Pinella gives a Cubs-y interview today.

Piniella was asked if the Cubs early clinching was one of the reasons for the postseason failure, as catcher Geovany Soto theorized on Monday after winning NL Rookie of the Year honors. Piniella denied that was a reason, but later added: “One other thing that I think hurt us was everyone jumped on our bandwagon (because of) the 100th year, and I think looking back, these kids tried a little too hard.”

Piniella, who donated his $100,000 bonus for winning the award to Cubs Care, addressed several issues in separate conference calls with the Chicago media and the Baseball Writers Association of America.

He reiterated he plans to move Kosuke Fukudome to center field, where he’ll platoon with Reed Johnson, and said the Cubs are seeking a power-hitting right-fielder from the left side to insert into the No. 4 or 5 spot in the lineup.

Piniella said he didn’t know who was available on the market. He also said he hadn’t spoken to general manager Jim Hendry about the possibility of acquiring Jake Peavy from San Diego, saying he first heard of the rumor while watching ESPN.

“I think it’s only talk,” he said, adding: “He’s obviously a very, very good pitcher and he’s a top-of-the-rotation pitcher, but we’ll see what happens with it. As far as myself, I haven’t had any substantive talks with Jim about it.”

As for the postseason flop against the Dodgers, Piniella was blunt.

“It felt like we got run over by a semi truck,” he said.

So what happened?

Piniella pointed to the lack of “throwing strikes early” in Game 1, a defensive meltdown by the infield in Game 2, and a lack of hitting throughout the series.

“We’ve got no excuses. Look, we played the Dodgers, a total of 10 times during the course of the season, and we just didn’t hit their pitching. We didn’t hit their pitching during the season, and we didn’t hit their pitching in postseason. An amazing statistic -- we played their team all year and never faced one pitch from a lefthanded pitcher. They stayed right-handed with us the whole time.

“That’s one of the reasons we’re trying to get just a little more left-handed. It’s going to be hard to do, but we’re going to do the best we can, and Jim Hendry does a nice job at it.”

I think you could have picked either one and made a case based on when they voted.

I also think the playoffs should be considered. Personally, I think a manager doesn't start managing until September and earns his pay in October. It's like awarding an Olympic medal ten yards from the finish line.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
I think it could've easily gone to Piniella, Manuel, or Torre. I wouldn't have complained with any of those three winning. I'm sure Manuel doesn't give a rat's ass, though. And I'm also sure that this award is little consolation for Piniella.

The crazy thing is all three of them are basically one losing season away from being idiots and fans wanting their heads. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
The crazy thing is all three of them are basically one losing season away from being idiots and fans wanting their heads. :lolhitting

Do you mean before the beginning of 2008, or right now? If you mean now, I understand you're making a joke, but Manuel will have a buffer of at least a year before being hated by Philadelphia fans. Torre has a few years, but Piniella will have a lot of heat if he doesn't win it next year.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
This is the dumbest award they give out.

Agreed.

Pinella winning it last year I had no problem with but a second straight year where they really didn't get all that much better and still got knocked out rd 1, is just total bull s***. Give it to a team who truly improved from their previous season.

I know they choose the recipient before playoffs but that's just stupid.